• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Saved by <BoatUS> Trailer Assist....

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As a Service Manager at a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram dealership, I must respectfully disagree on the Hemi. Huge amount of cam/lifter failures. Prior to this job, I was with Ford for 11 years. The 3.5 and 2.77 ecoboost motors have been great... the 5.0, not so much!
We have had a ton of hemis with nothing more than computer flashes required. We bought 11 ford expeditions with the 5.4 trions over two years and they all were trash... Two years ago we went to the new ford interceptor and we are scrapping those now as well... For us the only two that hold up for what we do is dodge and the tahoes. Even though the tahoes are awfully under powered they are reliable. Out of the 15 new ford interceptors a few years back three were bad upon delivery and one they never were able to determine why it wouldn't start. Some body from. Michigan came to look at it.. After that the government contract just replaced the thing. We haven't cycled all of them off the road yet but at this point it looks like they are going away.

The old crown Vic with the 4.6 litter motor was absolutely bullet proof but it just didn't have enough power. I have seen one get so hot it started to stumble and then shut down due to the electric fan failing.. (Not mentioning whose car it was) The shop would come out... Put more water in it.. And drive it to the shop. . Replace the fan and its back out within hours. Tough engine just not enough guts in it.

The equipment guy just got back from the trade show and said the new pursuit durango all wheel drive in a beast. They may be replacing our tahoes.. Not sure.

We trade our cars out between 60k and 90k. But I have my 11 charger for 110 thousand miles. If the lifter issues present later then that may be why we don't see much. We did have some of the first gen chargers with the hemi that had issues back in 06? 07? I know it was engine stuff may have been lifters or the cam but I can't remember that far back.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
As a Service Manager at a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram dealership, I must respectfully disagree on the Hemi. Huge amount of cam/lifter failures. Prior to this job, I was with Ford for 11 years. The 3.5 and 2.77 ecoboost motors have been great... the 5.0, not so much!
What's up with the 5.0's? Have one in my 2013 F150 and it's been a great engine so far.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I like the 5.0 too... I have too... My wife informed me the very next car we buy will be a mustang gt convertible... .

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
What's up with the 5.0's? Have one in my 2013 F150 and it's been a great engine so far.
They are good motors, don't get me wrong. Just saw quite a few bottom end bearing issues with them.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I like the 5.0 too... I have too... My wife informed me the very next car we buy will be a mustang gt convertible... .
Different bearings/rods/pistons in the Mustangs. Those have held up EXTREMELY WELL

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
They are good motors, don't get me wrong. Just saw quite a few bottom end bearing issues with them.
Gotcha. I think I did hear something about that.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We trade our cars out between 60k and 90k. But I have my 11 charger for 110 thousand miles. If the lifter issues present later then that may be why we don't see much. We did have some of the first gen chargers with the hemi that had issues back in 06? 07? I know it was engine stuff may have been lifters or the cam but I can't remember that far back.
I had an '08 Durango with a Hemi. It was a beast of a tow vehicle in a straight line. It's narrower footprint and related front end suspension compromises made it a bit dicey in downhill curves while towing. Brakes were plenty strong and reliable, and its torque at low end and power at highway speed were awesome for a gasser. Plus that generation of Durango was a true body-on-frame truck.

I began having significant lifter noise around 85,000 miles, got worse until I unloaded it as a direct sale to a local dealer at about 100,000 miles. Much anecotal evidence out there of 80K - 125K of flawless operation until the lifter issues kick in.

Loved it as a tow vehicle, but I will not consider buying another Hemi until the current version is replaced from the ground up. 100K miles (or so) out of a V8 is not nearly enough for me.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had an '08 Durango with a Hemi. It was a beast of a tow vehicle in a straight line. It's narrower footprint and related front end suspension compromises made it a bit dicey in downhill curves while towing. Brakes were plenty strong and reliable, and its torque at low end and power at highway speed were awesome for a gasser. Plus that generation of Durango was a true body-on-frame truck.

I began having significant lifter noise around 85,000 miles, got worse until I unloaded it as a direct sale to a local dealer at about 100,000 miles. Much anecotal evidence out there of 80K - 125K of flawless operation until the lifter issues kick in.

Loved it as a tow vehicle, but I will not consider buying another Hemi until the current version is replaced from the ground up. 100K miles (or so) out of a V8 is not nearly enough for me.
I still have an 05 that I own.. We used it for a tow vehicle for the first two years he had the boat. Although it wasn't bad I agree with your towing assement. I put air bags under the back and it made a huge difference. I didn't have to get them but once I did it made the sofe rear springs much stiffer.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
At least as a tech be honest. Those issues where with pre vvt hemis which was ten years ago. The new ones are rock solid.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
At least as a tech be honest. Those issues where with pre vvt hemis which was ten years ago. The new ones are rock solid.
If you want to believe that the newer Hemis don't have lifter issues, feel free to do so. We replace lifters and cams every week on them under warranty. Right now the lifters needed to repair them are no national backorder with 10,000 of them ordered across the country... and those are for the current Hemi engines. Don't believe me? Go to your dealer and try to buy a set for your truck!

This is two of the cams we have replaced this month from failed lifters. Like I said, believe what you would like. But, careful about questioning someone's integrity or honesty.

Attachments

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
If you want to believe that the newer Hemis don't have lifter issues, feel free to do so. We replace lifters and cams every week on them under warranty. Right now the lifters needed to repair them are no national backorder with 10,000 of them ordered across the country... and those are for the current Hemi engines. Don't believe me? Go to your dealer and try to buy a set for your truck!

This is two of the cams we have replaced this month from failed lifters. Like I said, believe what you would like. But, careful about questioning someone's integrity or honesty.
I am on multiple Mopar forums (I own two different Hemis and have owned four so far, as well as have several friends and family members with hemis) and there are almost zero reports of these issues. People complain big time when things like their engine stop working. I’m not saying it never happens but no way it happens as much as you say.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I am on multiple Mopar forums (I own two different Hemis and have owned four so far, as well as have several friends and family members with hemis) and there are almost zero reports of these issues. People complain big time when things like their engine stop working. I’m not saying it never happens but no way it happens as much as you say.
Yep, it is a requirement to join a forum when you buy a Hemi. Those forums do indeed contain every Hemi owner!

But, like I have said 3 times now... you believe whatever you would like! But, 10,000 units ordered right now across the country and on backorder doesn't lie!

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ohhhh.. Those cams look nasty. . Part of the ford 6.0 issues during the dark days of ford diesels (6. 0 and the 6.4) turned out to be push rods that were a tad too long. They would completely compress the lifters and the resulting slap slap slap would kill the roller... The cams that would come out would look just like that. Every revolution would eat out a tiny little bit of the lope. Now if u buy a push rod for a 6.0 or a 6.4 they are just a hair shorter to correct the issue.. Is this the same issue with hemi? The first gen hemis had lifter issues I heard but it would seem they would have repaired it by now.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Yep, it is a requirement to join a forum when you buy a Hemi. Those forums do indeed contain every Hemi owner!

But, like I have said 3 times now... you believe whatever you would like! But, 10,000 units ordered right now across the country and on backorder doesn't lie!
10,000 just for VVT hemis? Out of what? 3 million? Probably higher.

.003% .... so a 99.997 success rate?

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Man he is sharing his experience, although @Jameson Clark has more than most. It's pretty much a crap shoot with all brands anyways.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

That is 10,000 orders Chrysler can't fill after running out of stock. But, if 10,000+ (don't know how many they had before going on B/O) failures is ok by you, then it sounds like you're all set. But, as a comparison, another backordered part today and 12 were ordered across the country... that is the difference between a common issue and one that isn't. But, I am done arguing over nothing. The Hemi makes good power and pulls very well. I, personally, prefer the ecoboost motor for a number of reasons just as you obviously prefer the Hemi. Both the Hemi and the Ecoboost have become very popular and both waaaaaay outperform a GM 5.3.

PS - You forgot to move the decimal after doing your math. Just a FYI

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Jameson Clark Wondering - if you have an opinion, or what are your thoughts on the Toyota 5.7 in tundras/landcruisers etc. (3UR-FE, I think)?

--

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
By the way, I think I paid about 150 or so for the Boat US towing with trailer assist. Well worth it. Or as my friend said who just got towed off the Chesapeake the other day while in a massive storm (sailboat) "I didn't have to tow insurance, but I happily stroked off the $1700 check to the tower to get me out of harms way!" This is one insurance you should purchase. Who would have thought they would tow my boat/trailer to my home, and my truck to the repair shop, 20 plus miles way, at no cost to me?

By the way, after 30 years of chasing the bad guys and numerous take home police cars, without a doubt the Dodge Charger with the Hemi was the best and baddest police car I ever had. Never had an issue with it ever, and I ran the hell out of it.