• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SBT Engines Install - 212X 2010

Dan2poole

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
NA
Hi All,

We have recently had a few issues with the stock 212x engines on our 2010 jet boat.

As we are located in the Middle East (Oman), it was significantly difficult to obtain the correct parts/ repair, therefore decided to purchase 2 x brand new SBT engines from the USA and ship to Oman for install by the Yamaha dealer. All other supporting parts such as the shaft coupler, gaskets, clips and seals are OEM.

I will post progress updates on this thread on how the engines run and any issues we experience (if any!).

Should be on the water ready for testing in the next 7 days.

Any advice on the break-in of the engines would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Be sure to have a good idea of the cause of the failure to prevent it from affecting your replacement engine. Best of Luck!

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did kinda the same thing...lotsa pics... in the build link in my signature.... I didn't have any like engines to start with...

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Aloha,

I would think that SBT should provide that information. Best to contact them and be sure to follow their exact procedures in case there is an issue and they point at your break-in procedure as a contributory factor.

Good Luck!

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
they do its in the packet that comes with the engine... it is essentially the Yamaha factory breakin procedure...

Dan2poole

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
NA
Hey,

Quick update on progress. So we managed to have the yamaha engineer come out for for the sea trials. Engines are working well during the break-in..

Problem is that we have cavitation problems. We have had this before and installed new plugs but this didnt help too much so we just learned to gradually increase the rpm to get it on plane but the cavitation was always there and never went away.

During the installation, yamaha installed some new performance sbt implellers, so I am thinking they may not have used gasket sealent when reinstalling the housing.

Anyways, I have been at the boat most of today stripping out the old sealent around the pump/ intake plates. The sealent was very degraded, photos attached.

I applied new silcone and then once dry, added a layer of liquid rubber. Photos attached.

Feedback welcomed.

Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
what about the inside gaps on the pump tunnel ? they should be sealed smooth with silicone and I usually use a little (very light coat) Permatex aviation form-a-gasket on the pump to transom plate and stator to pump junctions... clean and marine antisieze on all threads..

Dan2poole

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
NA
what about the inside gaps on the pump tunnel ? they should be sealed smooth with silicone and I usually use a little (very light coat) Permatex aviation form-a-gasket on the pump to transom plate and stator to pump junctions... clean and marine antisieze on all threads..
Hey, thanks for the reply,

I managed to get through the grates to apply silicone and liquid rubber (Flex Seal) to the gaps within the pump tunnel.

Heading out to test tomorrow, will post results.

Thanks

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
:winkingthumbsup" i have 70 hours on my MR-1 HO SBT engines no issues.. 20psi idle oil pressure cold 10 psi hot and 60psi at 8000 rpm hot... If I do another set I will send the engines out to have the heads ported by ATR... there is free horsepower in these heads...

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length