• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab 215 starboard engine won’t crank

Hunter

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Hi I took my scarab 215 HO for a run and on the way back from the beach the Engines weren’t in sink then a squealing Sound from the starboard engine when I turnd of the Engines and tried to start the starboard engine it would make one click attempting to crank then wouldn’t crank. When I checked the engine temp the starboard engine was 201F while the port engine was 192F. Also there was no warning lights like high temp.

Had to limp back on the port engine to the dock. I let the engine cool then tried to crank a second time then the same results.

When I got home I put a scope in the outlet hole to see if something was jammed in the impeller.
I also checked all the fuses.

Anybody experienced this or know what it is.

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Dont know if it could happen...but the squealing could mean either the engine seized or the carbon seal seized and stopped the engine.

Hunter

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
@Pirana
Thank you for the response. I am new to this forum, and any information given is greatly appreciated. I barely get to drive the boat due to the climate / short seasons up here. I have stored the boat indoors / heated every year since picking it up in May of 2014. Just can’t understand how no fault codes on cluster, or alarms potentially indicating engine failure didn’t occur.

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Just a note on the engine heat, my engine get's up to about 207F regularly for cruising. I've seen it much hotter on hot days with no issues or impact on performance. I don't think heat is your problem.

Hunter

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Tried to start the engine and that’s what happens

P.s Turn up the sound

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am not a scarab expert but it sounds like seized motor or a dead short somewhere.

Hunter

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Update to the forum - Dealership says starboard engine starter relay is gone, had to be replaced.
They have the engine up and running now. Dealership is recommending getting the turbos rebuilt since they are at 145 / 143 hours.

Is this necessary for a boat that is barely
driven with low hours on it ?

$800.00 Canadian per engine for turbo rebuild;
Any thoughts or experiences by the members would be greatly appreciated - Thanks.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Aren't they still recommended to rebuilt at 200hrs? That sounds like 2-3 more years given current usage. Gives you plenty of time to learn how to remove/send off for rebuild yourself at ~$400/each or so.

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Update to the forum - Dealership says starboard engine starter relay is gone, had to be replaced.
They have the engine up and running now. Dealership is recommending getting the turbos rebuilt since they are at 145 / 143 hours.

Is this necessary for a boat that is barely
driven with low hours on it ?

$800.00 Canadian per engine for turbo rebuild;
Any thoughts or experiences by the members would be greatly appreciated - Thanks.
I would definitely hold off for another year or 200hr mark.
Who is your dealer?

Hunter

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I would definitely hold off for another year or 200hr mark.
Who is your dealer?

Dealership Currently Servicing Boat : “Vincent Motorsports”, Ontario, Canada

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I was told 200hrs per supercharger is when to rebuild. Unless there's some obvious performance issue or impact to other component being caused I would hold out.

Capt. Disaster

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I'm in Guelph. Curious what the outcome is - mine has 160hrs on it now.

Hunter

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Dealership is taking apart starboard supercharger to inspect / look for wear this morning. Battling right now for warranty coverage. Purchased the boat at 2014 Toronto Boat Show which advertised 3+2 / 5 yrs. Total Engine Coverage. Dealership submitted engine serial numbers to BRP system, and shows only 3 year coverage. I also called BRP directly yesterday, and their system shows 3 years (expired June 2017). Sent BRP all purchase / contract information, even sent them YouTube link from boat show that year which shows the sign posted on the side of the scarab jet boats that were on display.
I’ll keep the forum updated.