• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab has been a huge dissapointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
When I looked at the Scarabs (and the Glastrons) I thought that there might be hardware issues...specifically around the rear seating as it looked rather complex, maybe a bit flimsy and definitely (in my mind) difficult to keep properly cleaned. It never once occurred to me that there would be these these type drive issues given they seemed to just be Seadoo boat carryovers. I always preferred Yamaha boats and skis because they are less complex (which usually means incrementally more reliable), but I've never heard of major Rotax issues. This is just really bazaar and very sad.

PapaBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I have Ralph working it out for me. I just don't have a new boat anymore. It's not what I signed up for. Once you start pulling these major parts off its never like new. I just hope this is the end of these issues.

Cheappc-ari

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
I've had my 2011 speedster 150 for 3 years and only 38 hours on it... But not once did I have an issue, but after reading many of you here, I have very low hours for a 4 year old boat right? I mean some of you have 27 hours in just 9 months..

Which means I really don't use my boat enough?

Also I do love chaparal, I love the fit and finish.. I'll take a look at that one too...

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My boat has been flawless, but its what is happening. With others that is passing me off about the whole situation. I choose to do service and repair work myself. I am a little anal at how I do things. I don't need some tech with a bad attitude and having a bad day to take it out on my boat or ski.

Maybe that's why I haven't had an issue. The dealer hasn't touched my boat since they sold it to me. Almost 50 hours on the dial.
@ScarabMike Welcome to the club...my Yamaha was delivered to my storage yard and I never looked back. I can't remember the last time I took any of my vehicles back to the dealer for service. Either it was a long time ago or that CRS is getting worse :confused:

I'm a bit late to this thread since I spent last weekend at the river...one day was dedicated to boat repair. My buddy had to replace an intake manifold on his V drive and a water pump on his Malibu.
I told my Son in Law that I would fix the scratch my granddaughter put on his Malibu while trying to load it on the trailer. He also had a bolt fail - the single bolt that holds the wakeboard rack on that fancy tower of his. All that money and they use one bolt...go figure.

....and I had a chip on the bottom of my boat I needed to fix. That's typically been the case with the Yamaha - either regular maintenance or fixing my self-inflicted wounds. Never anything that required wrenching. :oops:

Sometimes I envy all the guys who get to yank stuff apart, get all greasy and wait for replacement parts, etc. :(

:rolleyes:

No, no I don't, I lied.

:cool:

Scarab255

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Other
I'll chime in...

We went all in with the Scarab 255 as our first boat. We love the boat in terms of the size, design, functionality, etc.

I've already posted my issues in another forum. I bought my boat memorial day weekend and only had a single day on the lake where my boat didn't need to make a trip back to the dealer by the end of the day until labor day.

I'm an analyst by trade. When 1 person has a problem it's anecdotal to me. When a adequate sample of owners reports in, it's data. Looking back through the pages of this forum it's pretty obvious to me that there is a trend in the data. Owners aren't happy with their purchase. That's not to say that they aren't satisfied with their boat. My boat ran fine the last 3 days of the season, no issues. I love the boat. I'm completely dissatisfied with the purchase.

In my experience, most companies don't figure it out in time and end up going under. I wouldn't purchase a Scarab if I were you based solely on the fact that there is a much higher chance to have an orphan boat in a couple of years after RB ditches the brand because the reputation doesn't allow them to sell boats.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I'll chime in...

We went all in with the Scarab 255 as our first boat. We love the boat in terms of the size, design, functionality, etc.

I've already posted my issues in another forum. I bought my boat memorial day weekend and only had a single day on the lake where my boat didn't need to make a trip back to the dealer by the end of the day until labor day.

I'm an analyst by trade. When 1 person has a problem it's anecdotal to me. When a adequate sample of owners reports in, it's data. Looking back through the pages of this forum it's pretty obvious to me that there is a trend in the data. Owners aren't happy with their purchase. That's not to say that they aren't satisfied with their boat. My boat ran fine the last 3 days of the season, no issues. I love the boat. I'm completely dissatisfied with the purchase.

In my experience, most companies don't figure it out in time and end up going under. I wouldn't purchase a Scarab if I were you based solely on the fact that there is a much higher chance to have an orphan boat in a couple of years after RB ditches the brand because the reputation doesn't allow them to sell boats.
Well said.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'll chime in...
This is a very important point, @Scarab255 A number of years ago, I bought a new Oldsmobile Intrigue (twin to the Pontiac Grand Prix, Buick Regal, etc. at the time). I was aware at the time that GM was going to phase out the Olds brand and took advantage of a decent discount GM put on the last few months of Olds production. My thinking was that Olds was just a brand, and the Intrigue was virtually identical under the skin to a number of other GM vehicles - it would be easy to get service and parts at Pontiac/Chevy/Buick dealers, etc., so I was not too concerned. Fast forward a couple years later, I was ready to sell the Olds Intrigue. Even though it was still covered by the OEM GM warranty and my assumptions about parts and service had proven true - it was a real bitch to sell that car.

Most people are just uncomfortable buying an orphan vehicle, period. Don't underestimate the time and money this issue will cost you down the road if RB does end up ditching the brand.

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I love my boat too, sucks to see so many people with so much disgust. I have my baby in my local stereo shop getting an audio makeover and the owner wants me to keep it in his showroom for the whole winter! He said he has never done an install on such an awesome looking boat (and the fact that the 195 can fit in there). Anyways, im very excited about that, its a great compliment.

Chris Simpson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
My Scarab 195 HO is just coming up to 25 hours and has given no trouble at all. It is always used in salt water, generally on the open sea but sometimes up rivers. However, we always give it a good wash down after every outing and everything still looks like new. We did have a little bit of rust on some of the stainless steel fittings but that was cured with a wipe down with anti corrosion fluid, otherwise all is well. My only complaint is that, although the boat can handle metre+ waves it does mean that the crew gets wet, so we tend not to go out if the waves are more than half a metre. The boat is taken out of the water after every trip and lives in an indoor dry stack.

I am very sorry to hear that other Scarab owners are having so much trouble with their boats. I only hope that they are a small minority. It does however appear to mainly be a dealer problem. I haven't needed to contact my dealer since he delivered the boat but I am about to ask him if it is OK for me to do my own maintenance from the warranty point of view as the next trip will go over 25 hours. Incidentally, when the dealer delivered the boat (a 3 hour trip each way for him) his last words were to contact him if I had any problems and he would send someone down to the boat straight away. I was comforted by that but so far the boat has performed perfectly. One final thought, I get the impression that the 195 owners who have problems have 2014 boats. My boat is 2015 and I have had no problems.

ALAN MANN SR.

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I have a 2015 Scarab 165 HO purchased in June 2015. Up to the 10 hr. check- up it ran fine. Then it was back and forth to the dealer (MarineMax Orlando) 3 times for little thing, Maintenance light, check engine light, jell coat blemish and the last time was damage that they caused. So took it to another dealer (MarineMax Clearwater), and they repaired the damage done by the other dealer at there cost. The boat is at 39 hrs. now and runs like a rocket. I run in Tampa bay and Little Manatee River most of the time and wash it down every time I use it. The only problem I have with it now is trying to keep the seats clean. So that being said I think it is a dealer problem more than Scarab problem. Also when MarineMax sent me a survey 30 days after the sale, I told them exactly what I thought, and the 3 times that I was back to that dealer they had changed service employees each time. So some one is trying to make it right. Just my thoughts.

CaptRob

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I encourage everyone to make their own minds up on the boats and the brand -- certainly those of us who have had issues are vocal, but there are many who have not and/or who have had issues resolved! Was just out today and these faces speak volumes!! All smiles!!! I Am happy to take anyone out In the twin cities if they want a demo
Luanders-I'm contemplating a purchase of a 215. I think this might be an older thread but if you are still offering a ride in yours I would be interested! I'm in Maple Grove.

jet set

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I got one of the first 2016 215s. Shes a custom HO Impulse wake edition. I absolutely love it.

CaptRob

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I got one of the first 2016 215s. Shes a custom HO Impulse wake edition. I absolutely love it.
Thanks Jet Set. Question-are you doing any offshore boating? Big bays, etc? I'll be looking at using it on a river as well as some limited offshore use. Will be sea trialing the one I'm looking at in a large bay but would love to hear your feedback. I'm looking at a used 2014 215 with 34 hours on it.

luanders

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
hi @CaptRob - Happy to bring you out on it - I'm in Albertville...we can hit up fish or weaver or something... I've got the boat back from the cabin until next Thursday... PM me.

CaptRob

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
That sounds like a plan! I'm in Maple Grove. I'll PM you and we can figure things out!

jet set

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thanks Jet Set. Question-are you doing any offshore boating? Big bays, etc? I'll be looking at using it on a river as well as some limited offshore use. Will be sea trialing the one I'm looking at in a large bay but would love to hear your feedback. I'm looking at a used 2014 215 with 34 hours on it.
I got my boat in July 2015 and I run it a lot in Hobe Sound Florida, which is salt water and up and down ICW, Loxhatchee River, in the winter and spring. In the summer I run it in the lakes around home. Im not too keen on running ANY 21ft boat offshore in the Atlantic, but I wouldnt hesitate on the great lakes on calm days. Hope this helps

CaptRob

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I got my boat in July 2015 and I run it a lot in Hobe Sound Florida, which is salt water and up and down ICW, Loxhatchee River, in the winter and spring. In the summer I run it in the lakes around home. Im not too keen on running ANY 21ft boat offshore in the Atlantic, but I wouldnt hesitate on the great lakes on calm days. Hope this helps
Thanks Jet Set. Good to know. We boat SW FL, mostly rivers and bays but will try exploring some coastal waters on the calmer days.

Sean Clements

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have a '16 Scarab 215 HO Impulse and my two cents is it all comes down to the dealer. I took delivery of my new boat and there was an issue with the fit of the folding centre windshield. The dealer - Factory Rec in Midland Ontario - sent a tech two hours to my cottage to rectify it. They were a Seadoo dealer previously and know boats. Love the guys at Factory Rec and love my Scarab so far. Just rolled 50 hours on it this long weekend boating in the 1000 Islands...
Did the folding windshield have issues from the start? Mine closed fine the day I picked it up but shifted on the second day and I cannot close it now.

Attachments

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
No problems with mine.

Status