• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab Judgement Day - Lake Lanier May 30-31

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
image.jpg

I just got an email from my local Marine Max dealer announcing a Scarab Judgement Day this weekend. I registered for 2 people, any local Jetboaters want to go with me? Would it be in poor taste to take my 242LS instead of driving?

Mike

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

1rjclark

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would bring it. I know eveyboby will want to know have it compares. What better way to compare then having them together. Have fun!

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Oh you have to take your Yamaha. And take a picture of the salesman's face!

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Heck yeah you should take it!! If they can't stand waves, stay out of the water!! ;)

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would bring it. I know eveyboby will want to know have it compares. What better way to compare then having them together. Have fun!
x2

woodard1983

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would think that they would be happy to see your boat there....that would show others that Yamaha owners are at least taking notice and looking into the new Scarabs

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Scarab Logo everywhere, no permanently mounted Nav lights
image.jpg

image.jpg
Scupper was a flat mount drain in the starboard rear

image.jpg
Sony Audio in the "Glove compartment"

image.jpg
Swim platform, noticed the ladder didn't have the rubber band holding it in place

image.jpg
Tow point anchor light

image.jpg
Scarab 215, it felt small to me, but I'm used to a 242. However the layout just seemed tight?

image.jpg
The ski locker used the entire center of the boat, very nice gas struts, felt very smooth. There was an additional section at the front of the ski locker for smaller items...
image.jpg
The Scarab rep left before I had a chance to talk with him, not sure why a twin engine boat has a single throttle, or what the switches beside the throttle are for.
image.jpg

I'll never complain about not having room in my engine compartment again...

Last edited:

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Overall, the fit and finish was amazing, it was easy to see and feel the quality. They have a 24' Scarab due out in August, so maybe that will feel more roomy. I thought storage was lacking as well, but again, I may just be used to my 242.

I may be in the minority here, but I really liked it, and was very impressed.

I want to test drive the 215, twin 200hp engines in a 21' should be fun, seems competitively priced with the 212X, with the base 215 starting at $42k (the 212SS $45k the 212X $48.5k) the 215HO (400hp) was $52k and the 215HO Impulse starts at $57k (not competitively priced, but sweet boat).

http://www.scarabboats.com/wp-content/themes/scarab/pdf/215_Spec_Sheet.pdf

Last edited:

JMSGA

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I looked at the 215 they had in the showroom. A couple things, the swim ladder unlocks when you push in on it and slides out. Push it in again and it locks it back in. No need for a rubber strap. Grab handles are much nicer than what are offered on the Yamaha, really don't like the ones on the yamahas. I actually wonder why the Yamaha has two throttle levers, I don't think Id be using each engine except in sync of one another. I actually feel the Yamaha throttles are bulky and clunky and prefer the clean and simple lever the scarab has. Those switches are for custom cruise controls and ramp angles to pull whatever behind the boat. Really pretty neat if you need that. Im not really that fond of the rotax power pack and prefer the Yamaha marine engines. Hopefully Yamaha will give more motor options like what the scarab offers. I did like the quality and fit/finish of the scarab but it brings a higher price. I will be eagerly awaiting the release of the bigger boats and to see the chaparral vortex in person. Yamahas gonna have to step it up.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I actually wonder why the Yamaha has two throttle levers, I don't think Id be using each engine except in sync of one another. I actually feel the Yamaha throttles are bulky and clunky and prefer the clean and simple lever the scarab has.
The two throttles allow you to spin in place or use the throttles to steer at speed. With some practice on a calm day you can even use them to drive sideways. I would not want a twin engined boat without dual throttles.

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Two throttles is incredibly useful, you can really steer the boat using just the throttles. If you need to make a fast turn, you can crank one throttle, and ease back on the other to make a very tight high speed turn. Also if I get into a tight spot, using the separate throttles I can spin the boat on a central axis (not in circles, but actually spin the boat as if a pole went through the middle of the boat into the lake bed). Once you get really good, using the separate throttles you can walk the boat sideways as well, a very handy docking maneuver.

That being said, the Scarab quality is much nicer, and the throttle ergonomics are very well designed. I was very impressed with the Bimini, the rear seat "sun pad" and pretty much every aspect of the Scarabs. I'm concerned about the lack of clean out ports though, I've only used them once one Lanier thanks to some lake grass ingested which the reverse move didn't clear.

I'm excited about the 24' version coming out in August, and very curious where it'll be priced. I'm also looking forward to the Chappy and to a lessor degree the Glastron jet boats. I think it'll take a few years before Yamaha reacts to the additional pressure. Right now they are king of the hill, and until the competition significantly impacts their sales they'll just keep an eye on what the competition is doing.

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Bruce you caught me monologuing and beat me to the punch (or Post Reply)

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Had I seen this post, and not been down here with a busted ankle, I would have LOVED to join you. Nice pics and review.

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Had I seen this post, and not been down here with a busted ankle, I would have LOVED to join you. Nice pics and review.
Actually the pic quality is horrible. I have a corporate Blackberry, which has been dropped (a few hundred times), fallen off the boat trailer (forgot I set it on the trailer when getting gas), run over on the highway (after falling off the boat trailer), stepped on, kicked, thrown, swatted, well you get the picture. The dang thing just won't die, which ordinarily is great, but I'm a MacBook using, ipad having IT guy and I'd like the additional synergy I would get with an iPhone.....

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How is the ankle? Did you fly down here with the bum ankle? I flew to NJ (a couple years ago now) five weeks after my second total knee replacement. Not a fun trip up or back. However, I am guaranteed a free trip to the full body scanner anytime I fly now. I thought wearing shorts would help, but apparently I'm such a hottie all the TSA agents need a better view of me! Bwahahahahahah

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Mike: Hollar @ me next event. I would REALLY like to drive up, meet ya, and see these puppies in action. Thanks for the nice recap and photo set.
Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How is the ankle? Did you fly down here with the bum ankle? I flew to NJ (a couple years ago now) five weeks after my second total knee replacement. Not a fun trip up or back. However, I am guaranteed a free trip to the full body scanner anytime I fly now. I thought wearing shorts would help, but apparently I'm such a hottie all the TSA agents need a better view of me! Bwahahahahahah
Yeah, I wasn't letting $1300 in non refundable tickets go to waste. It was a pretty low key trip. No water sports for me, but still got plenty of boat time. Im actually on the plane at ATL awaiting departure.

Lawson2479

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The two throttles allow you to spin in place or use the throttles to steer at speed. With some practice on a calm day you can even use them to drive sideways. I would not want a twin engined boat without dual throttles.

x2