• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Screws pulled out of rear hatch hinge... suggestions?

How about using blind nuts?
image.jpg

There are many rot proof options out there, they are just too expensive. Even multi million $ yachts use plywood where they shouldn't. Here are some pics of a yacht we just repaired that used balsa core ply in a structural area that gets wet. We cut out the rotten ply and added a piece of Coosa board, glassed it in, faired it out and painted.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

How about using blind nuts?
View attachment 6523

I'm loving that idea. As long as the "anchor" part of the nut will secure to the fiberglass part of the hatch.

I also see what @Murf'n'surf is saying about keeping moisture out. What about filling with a silicone sealant before mounting with these blind nuts?

Whatever route you take, make sure it's sealed tight with rtv or silicone or 4200.

The more I look at the blind nuts I don't like them for this application. I think they might open up the would more than expected and possibly crush the glassed area in order to bite.

I have to remember to take some pictures of mine to post for some opinions. . . . . . But the "precision" drilled holes for the front anchor hatch don't seem to line up properly with the hinges. As such the counter sunk screws are sitting funny in the hinge. I don't see an immediate problem with it short term. But long term I think an issue could develop. I will post some pictures next weekend when I get back to her.

Back