• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sealing the grates to fix cavitation: Pic/Vid request?

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm not sure if my boat is experiencing slight cavitation or not. I've looked around though and I think it would be very helpful to have a very obvious YouTube video from one of our resident experts on exactly what the important parts are to seal up around the intake grates and the rest of the water flow area. I've never seen a post that really makes it obvious as to what needs sealed up, and what isn't important. Maybe some pics with highlighted areas would help as well?

I have my grates pretty sealed up... *I think*... but I think it would be useful information to have on here, if anyone is willing to do a tutorial/demo...

Just sealed mine up yesterday. This is the main area that I would consider to be important. The water flow should be smooth so no missing sealant along the 2 outside edges. Correct me if I am wrong guys/gals.

20160317_172300.jpg

I'm not sure if my boat is experiencing slight cavitation or not. I've looked around though and I think it would be very helpful to have a very obvious YouTube video from one of our resident experts on exactly what the important parts are to seal up around the intake grates and the rest of the water flow area. I've never seen a post that really makes it obvious as to what needs sealed up, and what isn't important. Maybe some pics with highlighted areas would help as well?

I have my grates pretty sealed up... *I think*... but I think it would be useful information to have on here, if anyone is willing to do a tutorial/demo...

This is such an important issue, I could not agree more. Wish we had pump seal kits available similar to jet skis - @JetBoatPilot ? That would be great, I bet every single boater here would buy them. I know I would.

This is a tough topic to document with pics. Here is probably the closest to what you may be looking for with pictures, although I'm sure you have seen it:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/cavitation-missing-sealant-in-pump-grate.884/

If you asked me, I would say 3M 5200 is the way to go, as much as I hate working with it. Also, I had some discussions with Jerry Gaddis of Greenhulk about the importance of sealing the transom plate - this is tricky and hard to see, but according to him quite critical. I agree, although I didn't seem to have this problem when I was troubleshooting my cavitation issues.
http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=117375

The Lucky 13 anti-cavitation cone works wonders, but it is somewhat expensive and requires A LOT of tweaking.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/anyo...rfomance-adjustable-pump-cone-in-a-boat.7967/

--

Back