• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Seating position Poll

How do you most often drive your boat?

• Up on seat bolster over windshield in the wind

• Seat bolster down, behind the windshield and out of the wind

Results are only viewable after voting.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm curious how others drive their boats most often.

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I may have sat in the seat with the bolster down once or twice. Didn't care for it. Rain is probably the only reason I'm not up over the windshield.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Standing 95% of the time.
Big boaters need not comment to rub it in :D :D. You're not standing in a 19' SX/AR unless you're really small or standing partially in the aisle.

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I usually sit with the bolster up because the seat sits soooo low. This allows me to stretch my legs more plus I like the wind. When bolster is down I like to angle the seat towards the middle to give me some more leg room.

Last edited:

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
What a great poll, when we were out yesterday I was thinking the exact same thing. I agree with @haknslash about standing, but it is my prefered way to, but I'm standing in the aisle and those windshield ends concern me if we get tossed about. So, 95 % of the time I'm up on the bolster with my big ole noggin' up in the breeze and my tongue hangin' out enjoying every minute of it :p. I just wish there was a locking position on the seats so I didn't have to constantly push the bolster back into place.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would probably choose bolster down if I didn't have to duck to see under the windshield frame.

Shannon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I am 6"2 and 280lb.. I like setting up with the bolster folded but am concerned I will break it.:) So what I have done is folded a huge beach towel and sit on it. Works perfect for me with the bolster down having towel. Great pole!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@FLBulldogger you most certainly don't want to stab into the corner of the windshield. Speaking from experience when it happened to me just after I bought my boat :D....

my ribs hurt just thinking about it again

IMG_9070.JPG

Last edited:

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
OUCH! :eek: That's exactly what I am afraid of, the waters out on Tampa Bay can look nice one moment then...not so good!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use it sitting, but I did increase the seat height. It's always at the highest setting. In still debating on purchasing the higher base 14-18 instead of 12-15 that I bought.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am 6"2 and 280lb.. I like setting up with the bolster folded but am concerned I will break it.:) So what I have done is folded a huge beach towel and sit on it. Works perfect for me with the bolster down having towel. Great pole!
I have one of the rumble seat backs from the bow on the captains chair banana seat style. It sounds odd, but it's firm and I don't feel like I'm gonna break it. I was putting my throwable on the seat, but it keeps falling through the back opening.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I probably sit "down" about 20%-ish of the time but when it's hot out (that's above 73 degrees for this born and raised Upper Michigander) I like to sit "up" on the bolster so that I don't bake in the heat.

My throwable fits between the bolster and the seat-back to fill in the gap and give me something to push back against.

BakedZiti

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I used to stand with my previous boat, can't do that with this one so I use the bolster

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't know about you guys but I would have been totally fine with Yamaha if they had moved the chair back another 8-10". I would gladly have given up some of the starboard rear cushion and storage underneath just to have more leg room and the ability to stand behind the wheel. It would still leave enough of room for someone to sit behind you and possibly a small child as well. I'd gladly take that tradeoff.

new position.jpg

Or better yet they could have shortened the depth of the helm console area. There are curved surfaces that you can't easily mount flat things to so it mainly ends up as wasted space that otherwise could have been used to move the steering wheel forward about 5". The flat vertical leg surface could also have been lengthened into the storage area. This all would have opened up the drivers cockpit without encroaching on the bow seating area.

remove panels.jpg

Last edited:

BakedZiti

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree about the seat, and im not a tall guy, I do use the helm console to mount my phone to the right of steering wheel

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Not sure why none of the bucket seats have adjustable height, like an office chair. I'd really love that! Keep the flip up bolster on there too. Sometimes I feel like I'd like to sit up a little higher in the captain's seat, especially now that my kids are getting taller and blocking my view of the bow (they sit in the bow). With my contacts, I don't want to sit above the windshield - contacts dry-out when underway.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure why none of the bucket seats have adjustable height, like an office chair. I'd really love that! Keep the flip up bolster on there too. Sometimes I feel like I'd like to sit up a little higher in the captain's seat, especially now that my kids are getting taller and blocking my view of the bow (they sit in the bow). With my contacts, I don't want to sit above the windshield - contacts dry-out when underway.
I installed an adjustable seat pedestal on our boat. Not sure what equipment would be needed on the newer models, but it was a huge improvement over the stock height.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/ar210-helm-seat.729/

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great responses!!! So here's the reason I asked.
I just purchased @JC_ATL 242 drivers seat, and attaching it to my 4.5" seat base left me laying on the floor. I seem to ALWAYS be sitting on my bolster anyhow, so I decided to order a new 12" seatpost. After installing it I've never felt more comfortable. I asked my wife does this look weird, this seat so high up with the benches lower? She didnt think so, neither did I. So here's a shot of my 2015 242 seat at the helm of my 2014 AR190. Much thanks to @JC_ATL for meeting up in Atlanta! (Wish we lived closer so we could hang out)
20180519_190226.jpg 20180519_192647.jpg 20180519_192729.jpg

Last edited: