• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Seating position Poll

How do you most often drive your boat?

• Up on seat bolster over windshield in the wind

• Seat bolster down, behind the windshield and out of the wind

Results are only viewable after voting.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I might add, the seat turns with (Zero recline, you need to recline after you swivel) and the steering is adjustable enough to get a great position of comfort. The reclining seat in the Forward driving position is wonderful!!!! The dual arm rests allow fingertip control of the throttle. It's a whole new boating experience for me!

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not sure why none of the bucket seats have adjustable height, like an office chair. I'd really love that! Keep the flip up bolster on there too. Sometimes I feel like I'd like to sit up a little higher in the captain's seat, especially now that my kids are getting taller and blocking my view of the bow (they sit in the bow). With my contacts, I don't want to sit above the windshield - contacts dry-out when underway.
At one time I was going to buy an adjustable pedestal. Later on I realized that even if I did that it would just make my knees closer to the bottom side of the dash making me have less space there. The bigger boats you sit further away from the dash and your knees are a good ways away. I'm average height at 5'10". The space isn't horrible, it just could use some better thought on the layout to maximize comfort and space for the captain.

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The 242 seat looks great @njmr2fan . I was very tempted to buy that seat but glad you got it so I could see if it would work or not. It would be quite the expensive upgrade to buy it new since Yamaha thinks they are made of gold fabric. It will be hard to find a scrapped new 21' or 24' just for the seat lol. Glad it worked out for you. The added height but mainly the recline is what I was after!

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I definitely do all three. On bolster when running around the lake from spot to spot, bolster down when long cruises between 35 mph and wot and standing if plowing at slower speeds or usually on the initial approach from no wake buoys to a dock (easier to see what everyone else is doing) then sit on bolster to dock so I can easily manipulate both throttles. That seat is fancy.

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I'm really liking this mod @njmr2fan ...from what I can see you didn't have to modify the bolts to the boat floor, and then just add the 242 seat, is that correct? Could one just add the original seat to the new pedestal, in the event we couldn't find a 242 seat?

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes. The pedestal is a 2 7/8" and I found it in lengths of 9, 11.5, 12, 15, 17. I'm using the seat rail from my oem 190 seat, and just a new pesdestal.

Last edited:

DutchBoy17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm on the bolster almost all the time. Otherwise standing. I've tried just using the seat and I feel like I'm in a hole, but then I'm only 5'9". It would be great if we could move the seat back a few more inches when standing. I love the longer seat pedestal idea!

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
If the seat was 4-5 inches higher it would be perfect. I'm always up on the bolster.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the seat was 4-5 inches higher it would be perfect. I'm always up on the bolster.
Just remember that 2 3/4" of the post fit into the seat, so to achieve that 5" lift you probably need the 9" post that Springfield makes.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
At one time I was going to buy an adjustable pedestal. Later on I realized that even if I did that it would just make my knees closer to the bottom side of the dash making me have less space there. The bigger boats you sit further away from the dash and your knees are a good ways away. I'm average height at 5'10". The space isn't horrible, it just could use some better thought on the layout to maximize comfort and space for the captain.
FWIW, Since i can now adjust the seat height (after adding an adjustable pedestal), I actually removed the bolster all together to give more room between the seat and dash.

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
FWIW, Since i can now adjust the seat height (after adding an adjustable pedestal), I actually removed the bolster all together to give more room between the seat and dash.
@itsdgm which adjustable pedestal did you go with and are you able to get behind the windshield if needed?

Smitty78

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Hi guys,

I just took my 2018 SX 195 out today for the first time and I love it! The only problem I ran into is that I’m 6’ 3” and if I’m sitting in the seat with the bolster down the top of the windshield is directly in my line of sight! I would like to sit in the seat without sitting on top of the bolster and I’ve seen a couple of people have raised it up by getting a taller post. Where did you guys find the taller post? Thanks

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do an online search for a SPRINGFIELD 2 7/8" pedestal. They have several heights so figure out how much you need and you're done. Make sure the base diameter is the the same and that the hole spacing corresponds to yours as well. I found the best price at boatstoreusa.com

Smitty78

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Do an online search for a SPRINGFIELD 2 7/8" pedestal. They have several heights so figure out how much you need and you're done. Make sure the base diameter is the the same and that the hole spacing corresponds to yours as well. I found the best price at boatstoreusa.com
Awesome, thank you for letting me know. I’ll post some photos once I get it and get it installed.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@itsdgm which adjustable pedestal did you go with and are you able to get behind the windshield if needed?
Yes. In our ar210 it can be adjusted to sit below or above the windshield or anywhere in between.

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yes. In our ar210 it can be adjusted to sit below or above the windshield or anywhere in between.
Thanks for the reply, do you have the name and/or model # for the adjustable pedestal? Any install tips?

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply, do you have the name and/or model # for the adjustable pedestal? Any install tips?
https://jetboaters.net/threads/ar210-helm-seat.729/

Here’s a write up from a while ago. Keep in mind that it’s quite possible that Yamaha switched seat base pedestals over the past few years. So you’re might be different. Hope this at least points you in the right direction though.

gbboating

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just sit on my square throwable and it is the perfect height