• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Seaweed NIGHTMARE

I know You know

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’m actually quite shocked that they aren’t participating more in this thread. Clearly this is a side piece for the owners and perhaps they have no desire or capacity to produce more than they currently do.

Seriously, the most trafficked jet boat site around and you post cryptic “call us” responses? Marketing 101 must have been missed here.
I am not saying that is any kind of a scam or anything, but you would think if they really want to sell their product (which looks really good) they would be coming after us with open arms.

Speedster

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
To answer some questions, we are an established precision machine shop, in business for 45 years. We developed and patented the Repeller Grates. We have been working on the Repellers for a few years and are in the process of getting the word out. We are in the beginning stages of marketing our products and came to this forum to let owners know there is a product available and to get feedback. This forum has given us the information we were looking for, and we Thank you!!

As for the price, the price will depend on a few things, the size of the grate, the number of tines, etc. The ball park price is $350-$450 for the stationary grate. The grates are made of stainless steel, which will make them stronger than the cast aluminum stock grates.

We appreciate the feed back and interest we have received on this forum.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’m actually quite shocked that they aren’t participating more in this thread. Clearly this is a side piece for the owners and perhaps they have no desire or capacity to produce more than they currently do.

Seriously, the most trafficked jet boat site around and you post cryptic “call us” responses? Marketing 101 must have been missed here.
In there defense. That was a email they sent to me not the forum a few months ago. I posted it so anyone could call if they wanted to.

drrjv

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
With most of my boating in the Upper Potomac, I'm interested. Would like to see user experience.

PS: I'm willing to try a pair of loaners on my Chap Vortex VRX and report back.

Leonidas514

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Add me to the list! I'm in the keys as I type and have spent countless amount of time trying to get weeds out of the intakes over the past 2 days!!!! I will NEVER purchase another jet boat! This is a major safety issue! I've had to deal with overheating issues, clogged engines, poor performance and STRESS!!!! There are not an overwhelming amount of weeds, just that they are floating and unfortunately they get sucked into the intake. Since I am upside down in my boat and can't sell it, next time I'm in the keys I guess I'll just charter a captain!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
In a no wake zone (in the Yami) where seaweed was present, I would change speeds/rpm. I found that going fast and backing off just before hitting the patch would help. It would to push them away. Also, try this and turning. The idea is to create a small "wave" to help disperse the weeds. With this boat knock on wood, I've had little to no issues with weeds. Appear to get chopped up (I used the speed method described above)

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
It hits the crossbar and then just starts piling up. Then it restrict the flow of water so that the weeds that get chopped by the propeller do not completely flush out.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I don’t know where you are in the keys I was by Islamorada want to head up into the Everglades park there are not there’s not much seaweed there and it is awesome barely anyone around and your boat doesn’t draft to match so you can have a ball.

Leonidas514

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I don’t know where you are in the keys I was by Islamorada want to head up into the Everglades park there are not there’s not much seaweed there and it is awesome barely anyone around and your boat doesn’t draft to match so you can have a ball.
In Marathon, I went to Sombrero Reef today. Weeds everywhere! I have no reason to make up some bullshit story after spending 40K+ on my boat plus 3K on a new folding tower to come on here and bash the boat. Just speaking facts! At the reef I had several overheat alarms, the reverse trick works fine but you must immediately get up on a plane to prevent "cloggage" if not the boat eventually slows to about 25MPH. Anyways... hate away facts are facts.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I understand I was going nuts the day I went to Faro Blanco from Islamorada. The weeds are so bad there. Just trying to give you an option that I use when they are bad, I head to the Everglades park. The water flow is what moves them in windy days so up there you are always in shallow water and there a are none once you get up in there a bit. Just trying to give you options. Both the gulf and the ocean are loaded with them. I cleaned them out 12 times in the 38 miles one way trip I was going to lose my mind. Not just the clean out port but you must get the grate clean also. I had to hop in the water hang on the transom and use my feet to pull out the seaweed from the grate. The stuff wrapped around the shaft is only half of it.

Leonidas514

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply. I noticed that south of marathon about 20 miles the water really clears up. I did see hundreds of outboard boats doing fine though :). That pic you posted.of the weeds is exactly what I have gone through the entire trip.

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That really sucks. Fortunately here in Michigan we don't have that type of problem. Only thing I've had to clear out was a rope, which was 100% my fault. That would drive me crazy as well.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
36E70626-6ABE-4860-BE52-B75B01DEAD0C.jpegA quick search didn’t reveal anything, although it’s probably user error, I’m sure it’s been asked before. Seaweed has been a little more prevalent in Florida the last couple weeks. I went through a few small floating patches yesterday, didn’t cause any issues. I was doing all my normal lubrication/cleaning today and noticed some in back of the pump with the gate up, it’s wrapped around the shaft but it’s behind where I can get to it with the clean out ports. It’s probably 8-10 inches in from the outlet of the jet. My hands are to big to get in there from the back of the pump to get it, I was going to try some needle nose pliers but I think that would take a awful amount of time. Anyone got any tips or tricks? Going to mess around with it later when it cools off outside. Boat is on the trailer in the driveway so reverse maneuver isn’t really option.

Also, I’m not that super concerned about it, at least not enough to remove the pump. Didn’t cause any issues yesterday, I just like to keep things clean and taken care of, especially with the holiday weekend coming up.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A wire coat hanger.
Ahh nice. Those things come in handy, used them to snake some tower speaker wire. Damn those new plastic ones that break when you hang a jacket on them and serve no other purpose.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Honestly it’s probably going to be quicker to pull your pump. 2 connections to remove (steering is an 11mm bolt reverse gate is a quick release) and 4 14mm bolts. I hear the new nozzles might be 1 piece so there may be an extra 10 mm bolt on there, but easy enough.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I wouldn't be able to "Liveto99" if I had to deal with this. That truly sucks. Big time...
When I got that email everyone had a @aol address and I was try to live to 1999. I wanted to live to see 2000 anyway was doing a lot of racing and stuff but had a great time!

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Honestly it’s probably going to be quicker to pull your pump. 2 connections to remove (steering is an 11mm bolt reverse gate is a quick release) and 4 14mm bolts. I hear the new nozzles might be 1 piece so there may be an extra 10 mm bolt on there, but easy enough.
Coat hanger got most of it out in 5 minutes, nothing in the impellers/clean out access/intakes. Got wrapped around the exit fins/guides. What little is left I’m sure will dry out this week and get blasted out on the water this weekend.