• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Securing a trailered boat on the street

Ribs77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey all,

I made a post before about my driveway logistics - got a lot of good tips, but am still facing headwinds with the wife on keeping the boat there, even during the season. (Long story short, it's a long, narrow driveway on a busy street. Would need to wait until 9-10pm on weekends to feasibly back a boat in and would need at least one spotter.) Also, I'm now looking at a used 212x, which is a bit bigger than the 195 I had my eye on.

I think I've got winter storage sorted, but for in-season parking, I've got my eye on a long strip of parking about 3 miles from my house. It's a spot by the lake where all the lakeside houses are "down" (literally 15 feet down) a street below and have all their own off-street parking. So, no one parks there. Except for one boat - a huge one - that hasn't moved in over a year.

I don't see any tickets or towing notices on this boat. There are signs that read "no commercial parking," but there are no other posted restrictions. And there is literally room for 30-35 cars there, with just the one boat regularly parked. Theoretically, I don't think you're supposed to park a trailered boat that's not attached to a car on a city street in this city, but this is on the border of where the actual city ends and it feels like an area where's there's not likely to be any enforcement, especially given the large boat that's always parked there already.

So, I guess two questions.

1 - Would you be concerned parking your boat there during the season only? I would be using it almost every weekend (and maybe occasionally mid-week) and the spot seems ideal for both dropping off and picking up. I suppose if I got some kind of parking ticket or notice I could re-evaluate, but would you be concerned about anything else happening to a boat parked on the street like that, possibly for up to a week without moving?

2 - Assuming you did park there, what steps would/could you take to secure the boat and trailer to ensure that someone with a truck couldn't just pull up and steal it?

Thanks in advance!

vwallat99

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
That sounds like a bad situation all around. I wouldn't want my boat sitting around somewhere I couldn't have my eye on it especially a spot 3 miles away. But somewhat assuring that you see another Boat parked there without issue for a good year. If you were to have to park there with no other options. You would want to at least lock up the receiver for your trailer. Bigger the better for that. But someone could really cut it off especially if they were to case and notice your boat unattended for long period of time. I don't know what other steps you could do to anti-theft the boat. Something with the tires I'm sure?

Just not ideal anyway you look at it.

Ribs77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Obviously I wouldn't want the boat stolen, but my other thought would be to hide an AirTag or tracker (like mentioned above) somewhere in there so at least I'd know where to recover it.

Unfortunately, for me it may come down to using a parking situation like this or simply not having a boat. I can't comfortably afford moorage around here.

If that were your situation, what would you do?

vwallat99

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Move. Lol

Sorry I guess that would be the first thing to consider but it's easier said then done. Another would be to be boatless but what's the fun in life with that.

If I were you in your situation I guess to maintain my impractical lifestyle as I absolute need to continue with I would try my best to keep the boat within my driveway. I looked over your last thread and I see all the issues there. That probably would of prevented me from even getting a boat but your now struck with the bug and here we are lol cannot blame you there we all have it. So having a spotter every time to help you get into your driveway and disrupt traffic to get there would be my course of action. Maybe you could do both of your ideas. Park your boat in that spot you have found and then when it calms down you can go get the boat back your driveway in the early evening especially cause as most of us are aware most bad things happen in the darkest hours.

jthackman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
maybe parking on your lot is a possibility with some landscape re-work, and add'l concrete? i saw your pic of your current driveway area. what's happening in the middle of the lot? or the right side of the lot? or in the rear? is a circle drive an option?

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would not be comfortable at all with it, but if you do go ahead with it, multiple locks and something more advanced than an airtag for gps location would be absolute "musts" in my opinion. ALSO, check, double check, and maybe even triple check that insurance will cover it. If they find out that you're not storing it at a proper storage facility, or your place of residence, but instead some random street side parking several miles from home, they might have some loophole to avoid paying out in the unlikely case of theft. And don't put the gps device under the helm, or near the batteries. Do not use a device that depends on the batteries of the boat. Maybe it uses them to stay charged, but it has to have it's own standalone battery, and send a notification directly to you when it's moved. Hide it in the stern, where it would have to be accessed by removing the cleanout tray, and searched for.

I've had a trailer with a mower on it stolen out of my driveway, and my insurance company (at the time) told me that's too bad. Insurance companies are not much better than the scum that gathers around the edges of a stagnant pond.

vwallat99

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
maybe parking on your lot is a possibility with some landscape re-work, and add'l concrete? i saw your pic of your current driveway area. what's happening in the middle of the lot? or the right side of the lot? or in the rear? is a circle drive an option?
Right. Boat >>>>>> Trees/Bushes/Rocks

Do that

Ribs77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Move. Lol

Sorry I guess that would be the first thing to consider but it's easier said then done. Another would be to be boatless but what's the fun in life with that.

If I were you in your situation I guess to maintain my impractical lifestyle as I absolute need to continue with I would try my best to keep the boat within my driveway. I looked over your last thread and I see all the issues there. That probably would of prevented me from even getting a boat but your now struck with the bug and here we are lol cannot blame you there we all have it. So having a spotter every time to help you get into your driveway and disrupt traffic to get there would be my course of action. Maybe you could do both of your ideas. Park your boat in that spot you have found and then when it calms down you can go get the boat back your driveway in the early evening especially cause as most of us are aware most bad things happen in the darkest hours.
Heh, definitely can't move with a generationally low mortgage rate. Yeah, I don't have a boat yet, but I definitely have the bug. It doesn't help living so close to a perfect lake for it.

And for the record, I'm OK with the logistics, but my wife is just a firm NO on keeping the boat there. Sucks to be me.

Ribs77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Haha, I'll suggest that to my wife and she'll hate it a lot more than the boat in the driveway! Not sure if it would be legal to do anyway on this street - introducing a new cutout, etc. Certainly at least as expensive as the boat itself - $30k plus to pour new concrete, etc. For that price I may as well pay the exorbitant moorage fees.

Edit, you mentioned the back, but there's no back access at all. Nor on the other side.

Last edited:

vwallat99

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
No Friends or Family that would have a parking spot that you could trust in their driveway or garage?

Ribs77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No Friends or Family that would have a parking spot that you could trust in their driveway or garage?
I've been exploring this but no luck so far. I'm in a major city and most homes in this area are 60-100+ years old, so not exactly designed for modern vehicles/boats.

There is a "neighbor.com" service where folks who have decent sized lots rent out space, and it may be an option, but it ain't free.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I've been exploring this but no luck so far. I'm in a major city and most homes in this area are 60-100+ years old, so not exactly designed for modern vehicles/boats.

There is a "neighbor.com" service where folks who have decent sized lots rent out space, and it may be an option, but it ain't free.
Tough choice. if it’s not practical to redo your driveway, I’d probably go the neighbor.com route.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I wouldn’t do street parking three miles from my house.

If moorage rates were too high, what about a place that does rv and/or boat storage, either near your home or where you usually boat? Outdoor storage, at least around here, runs about $100 a month. At least a storage place will be fenced, have cameras, and have entrance somewhat restricted.

Any of the marinas where you normally boat have on the boat trailer storage?

Jim

Ribs77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn’t do street parking three miles from my house.

If moorage rates were too high, what about a place that does rv and/or boat storage, either near your home or where you usually boat? Outdoor storage, at least around here, runs about $100 a month. At least a storage place will be fenced, have cameras, and have entrance somewhat restricted.

Any of the marinas where you normally boat have on the boat trailer storage?

Jim
Outdoor fenced storage is an option, but it runs more like $275/month here.

"Any of the marinas where you normally boat have on the boat trailer storage?"

I'm new to boating but I haven't had any luck finding this. Only wet moorage with a 2-3 year waitlist and high prices. I was on the waitlist for a few years, actually, but turned down a spot for $375/month recently since I didn't yet have a boat and also wasn't sure about spending $4,500 yearly.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I just read your other thread. How about getting 2 jet skis for a season? Smaller and easier to manage. I think you and your wife can push it into your driveway by hand if the weight is balanced. You may be over thinking this driveway problem and after sometime you may realize "this isn't so bad" and change to boat ownership. How is your backyard? Is it possible to drive directly in with your car/trailer, disconnect the trailer, and maneuver it into your yard?

Ribs77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just read your other thread. How about getting 2 jet skis for a season? Smaller and easier to manage. I think you and your wife can push it into your driveway by hand if the weight is balanced. You may be over thinking this driveway problem and after sometime you may realize "this isn't so bad" and change to boat ownership. How is your backyard? Is it possible to drive directly in with your car/trailer, disconnect the trailer, and maneuver it into your yard?
Backyard is inaccessible to vehicles. We have a garage (not big enough for a boat - only about 15-16 feet deep) that's about 30" from the side of the house. Access to the backyard is either through the 30" gap on that side, or a similarly sized gap on the other side. And the backyard itself is pretty small - our house has a relatively large footprint on a relatively small plot.

Jetskis? I think that'd be fun, but I know my wife isn't into the idea.

RNYCLV

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Backyard is inaccessible to vehicles. We have a garage (not big enough for a boat - only about 15-16 feet deep) that's about 30" from the side of the house. Access to the backyard is either through the 30" gap on that side, or a similarly sized gap on the other side. And the backyard itself is pretty small - our house has a relatively large footprint on a relatively small plot.

Jetskis? I think that'd be fun, but I know my wife isn't into the idea.
Well the way I see it the easiest answer is to get a new wife... solves the boat issue. Just kidding obviously. Have you spoken to any garages in the area, or tow companies who have fenced yards? May be cheaper than a self storage. An outside option.

Ribs77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well the way I see it the easiest answer is to get a new wife... solves the boat issue. Just kidding obviously. Have you spoken to any garages in the area, or tow companies who have fenced yards? May be cheaper than a self storage. An outside option.
I have... the one that's convenient to my location is about $275/month. Might be doable for in-season only.

RNYCLV

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have... the one that's convenient to my location is about $275/month. Might be doable for in-season only.
Well, then....I go with my first option again. New wife....lol
That sucks man, any dealerships near by? Can check with them.

Top Bottom