• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Separate controls for throttle/reverse gate

steveinmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Have jet boats ever come with separate controls for the reverse bucket/throttle? Our fx140 has a separate reverse lever and I can navigate it nearly inch perfect without even touching the throttle. Slight steering input and just hold the lever in the middle.

I think only early Sea-Doo’s offered it. You can add it to the boat and it allows for a lot of interesting thing you can do with a twin engine jet boat. A friend of mine had a Gaffrig unit on his Yamaha 242 and it was pretty cool. He’d even use it for surfing to help dial in the wave and jet wash.

892AD943-729A-4074-8F18-8BC86F58D3B5.jpeg

And then there’s also this full on mod which also addresses the throttle resolution issue of the APS wheel. Very nice work gmtech did https://jetboaters.net/threads/the-throttle-shifter-yamaha-should-have-put-on-our-boats.15940/

F6552998-1929-4D05-9DC3-AE8369E7F0DE.jpeg

Last edited:
Almost all of the Mercury SportJet powered boats had separate controls. We had it in our SeaDoo X20 with SportJet. Worked well, but it’s all in what you get used to.

That's interesting that a product exists that can be fitted to work on some models. It would be nice if there was a product that kept the existing throttle lever, and added a lever for the bucket to keep costs down. Just move the bucket cable over to the new lever.

I guess the question would be where to mount something like that in the smaller boats? Maybe not a lever but a pull/push tab? Not sure how much leverage is required to move the bucket?

That's interesting that a product exists that can be fitted to work on some models. It would be nice if there was a product that kept the existing throttle lever, and added a lever for the bucket to keep costs down. Just move the bucket cable over to the new lever.

I guess the question would be where to mount something like that in the smaller boats? Maybe not a lever but a pull/push tab? Not sure how much leverage is required to move the bucket?

Ultraflex, now called Uflex is who made the Sea-Doo controls which is very similar to what you’re wanting or asking about. They make universal controls but you’d have to have some degree of modification involved as I’m sure nothing it going to be totally a drop-in solution. Here is an exploded view diagram of the Sea-do controls I remember. Not sure if they’re the same these days for Scarab.

81D17F6E-631B-4279-BCCF-DD8E62DC3F28.jpeg

Video of the last gen Sea-Doo controls I remember which still featured the independent bucket control lever ...

I think the 2003 SR230 had this style of control from the factory. Grafig and Livorsi Make controls that can be adapted to fit. Search for past Posts with "Gafrig" for some details.

If you have cable controls it's an AWESOME mod. Cannot recommend highly enough.

Back