• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

DRiVE Impressions

Yamaha really seems to want to confuse us with this terminology. On my 2023 222XD, it is listed as having Yamaha Drive Control and DRiVE. The boat itself has throttle by wire, steering by wire, with the paddle system on the side of the steering wheel, and the speed control system that is engaged and set by hard button controls to the left of the steering wheel. The steering wheel itself outputs an electronic signal that feeds a hydraulic servo pump in front of the cockpit bulkhead that ultimately controls the steering of the jet buckets. When DRiVE mode is engaged, it re-maps the steering wheel so that a quarter turn of the wheel moves the buckets full scale. The paddles control throttle with the left paddle providing throttle at forward thrust and the right paddle providing reverse thrust when in DRiVE.

The brochure that you posted above suggests to me that it doesn't have the paddles and the electronic / hydraulic steering. The combination of Yamaha Drive Control and throttle by wire sounds like it has the electronic throttle control and the ability to engage no-wake modes, etc using the Yamaha Drive Control controller. Yamaha Drive Control is a term that they use across boats and waverunners for electronic throttle no-wake modes and the ability to hold and bump up or down speeds when going slowly.

I put around 70 hours on my boat this season in a variety of conditions and my opinion of DRiVE hasn't changed. There hasn't been a situation yet where I think it's helpful. It works as advertised, but for me, I much prefer using the throttle quadrant and having a normally mapped steering wheel.

As noted above, Yamaha drive control is really just Yamaha's marketing term for their cruise control modes, though it's certainly understandable how this gets confusing. With regards to the throttle by wire though, the buckets work the same as with your cable system. It's just electronically actuated instead of cable actuated. It's true that while in the cruise assist mode you have finite resolution, when using the throttle quadrant (or the paddles for that matter), it's the same amount of control as with a cable.

DriveX was also mentioned above. That's yet another entirely different kettle of fish. That uses paddles, but also side thrusters. Hard for me to imagine really needing that.

I love my 222XD, and like the general responsiveness and control of the electronic throttle and steering... But side thrusters on a boat of this size just seems unnecessary. I have to maneuver in tight quarters on a regular basis in all sorts of weather conditions and other than using single throttle mode, I don't use any of the other stuff.

In regards to the shifting, are you saying you can move the throttle say a half inch forward, well short of the first detent / TDE position and the boat will start to creep forward?

In regards to the shifting, are you saying you can move the throttle say a half inch forward, well short of the first detent / TDE position and the boat will start to creep forward?

I'll have to give that a try. I can't say I've done that myself. I normally move it to the first detent.

But with my 275SD when DRiVE is activated...... the throttles are in the Neutral position when under paddle control.

I'll have to give that a try. I can't say I've done that myself. I normally move it to the first detent.

But with my 275SD when DRiVE is activated...... the throttles are in the Neutral position when under paddle control.

Understood! I should have worded my question better earlier, but what I just asked of @TommyMcK is very important to me. Imagine trying to make the boat go 1.8 mph (slow trolling speed in fresh water) or slower without having to go in and out of gear or from neutral to the first detent and back to neutral.

If fishing in salt water, putting the throttle handle in the first detent, idle ahead in TDE, will give roughly 3 mph(?) and from what I’m told that’s slow for salt water species, and 5-8 knots is the norm for the bigger game fish, Dorado, Wahoo, Marlin etc.

Understood! I should have worded my question better earlier, but what I just asked of @TommyMcK is very important to me. Imagine trying to make the boat go 1.8 mph (slow trolling speed in fresh water) or slower without having to go in and out of gear or from neutral to the first detent and back to neutral.

If fishing in salt water, putting the throttle handle in the first detent, idle ahead in TDE, will give roughly 3 mph(?) and from what I’m told that’s slow for salt water species, and 5-8 knots is the norm for the bigger game fish, Dorado, Wahoo, Marlin etc.

Gotcha!

Well, now that you phase it like that, I can't say for sure. It sure seems to handle the same way that my old AR230 did, but I never really noticed that I could do what you're saying with that boat either. The boat creeps forward (very slowly) in neutral in any case, but I don't think that I've really tried to see if I can position the buckets so that it's between neutral and forward. I can say though that with the throttle at idle but in the forward position that I don't think that you'll be doing more than 1 mph or so.

Last edited:
Well, now that you phase it like that, I can't say for sure. It sure seems to handle the same way that my old AR230 did, but I never really noticed that I could do what you're saying with that boat either. The boat creeps forward (very slowly) in neutral in any case, but I don't think that I've really tried to see if I can position the buckets so that it's between neutral and forward. I can say though that with the throttle at idle but in the forward position that I don't think that you'll be doing more than 1 mph or so.

If make a small adjustment to the linkage arm(s) on the bucket you can achieve a better neutral. Do one engine at a time to see what engine is doing in regards to thrusting forward or back, then make adjustments to the end with the ball socket in one turn increments.

If I put my boat in the TDE / idle ahead position on a calm day it will go roughly 2.5-3 mph, full idle ahead is 5 mph.

Back