• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

series of unfortunate event 1996 120 xr

Accipiter

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
So been having issues with my engine flooding after shutting off and after checking fuel lines and the fuel itself when on to the carburetor took it of checked it out and everything on it was working the way it was supposed to. after reattaching I went to start the engine when i saw a spark fly from the battery and i lost all power. I am at a loss of words as to what may have happened. any thoughts?

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Start with the easy... Do u have a battery tester? Get one. They are not expensive.. Un hook the battery and check the connections along the way.. Test the battery and make sure its not wonky. (Someone on here used wonky so now its my new word)... Then check the connections.. If they look chared replace.. At least then u know its not the power supply or the connections... Then u can move to harder more expensive things.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Probably a bad ground wire from the battery to the engine. Grab your main wires and bend them if they are rigid or if they crackle as you move them you have bad wires and you need to replace them. As for the battery remove the battery cell tops and look in the battery see that the water level is even and correct.
Now this is a simple bush check for bad cells . Connect a set of Jumper cables to your battery terminals , now stand away from the battery but still be able to see inside each cell.
Put the battery jumper cable ends together shorting out the battery, as you do this view each cell if you see instant bubbles forming inside any cell it is bad. Thus the battery is no good it's just that easy.
One important thing, do not do this if you have been charging the battery as the bad cell allows the water inside it to break down to hydrogen and oxygen gas, and be sure you are standing away from the battery when you short it out as the connection of the ends usually causes a spark so spark + hydrogen gas + oh shit! However as for a MacGyver cell tester on the fly it will reveal a bad cell every time.

Accipiter

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
so got a battery checker and checked the battery it looked fine but i went ahead a charged it anyway. i hooked it back up and put key in and got power. however whenever i turn the key it loses power and i dont get power until i get the battery detached and rehooked up then same thing happens again. any thoughts?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Now that is just weird for s and g try a different battery maybe borrow one from your car and see what happens perhaps there is a short in the battery