• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Seriously torn between 06 AR230 & 05 SX230

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I for $3000 different I'd take the tower the mods and 1 year newer boat. Most aftermarket towers with a Bimini installed will cost you 3 grand.

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The AR has carpet, but in the SX it's been removed. I'd want SeaDek in either of them, but you could put it off with the AR (unless you're ok with hot feet).

Not crazy about how the chartplotter is mounted in the AR.
SX still has the carpet just was removed to be cleaned....

I'm not crazy either on the mount location either !!

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@chess cables replaced is nice and if Eric is putting a 3month warranty on it so the boat must be solid. Does it include the Bimini?
Yup it does....stupid photos are still uploading looks like something ft all messed up with Dropbox darnit !!!!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
At the price point of the 06 I would hold out for a 2007 if I was going to go that way. The changes to the 2007 are worth it. I still think you could get this boat in the 21-22 range and it probably has just about any upgrade you would want already done to it.

http://www.ccmarine.com/Boat-For-Sale/13804/2007-Yamaha-SX230/

Dieselpwr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The red AR doesn't look like it has the HO motors. Doesn't say high output on the rpm gauges and it has the 140hp engine covers.

Crlos16

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow I know if I was trying to sale my boat it would be spotless! Both of those boats look to have sitting outside for a while.

i would also go with the AR, once you hit the lakes you will wish you had a tower.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Get the 05 for 17,500 with the 2014 trailer, warranty, reputable seller and be done with it. Of course, I'd grab the one in SC IF it has the HO motors and I could get it for 21, but I don't think it does have the HO motors. You don't need the tower. At all. I thought I would need one when I bought my 08 SX230. I was looking for either an AR or an SX. The AR's were scarcer and cost alot more. The SX deal came up and I snatched it up. Have not regretted not having a tower. The blue one at Bayside hit the dock bad, which is why it needed repainted. Owned by a geezer who couldn't drive, apparently. That's why it is low hours and why it was re-painted. The painter said he just painted them both for re-sale. This was just an innocuous statement brought up by some guy I was speaking to, who was admiring and photographing another boat which looked gorgeous. I asked him if he was picking it up. He said nope, I am just taking photos for myself. You won't catch me on a jet boat, but I did paint it. (I thought he was a customer picking up his boat and found out he was their painter). I asked him about the a paint job he was admiring, and he got all technical on me and said it would never fade, blah blah blah. I asked him how much it cost to paint it and he said they retailed the paint job at 2000. He then said he also painted the blue one and the black one which are up for sale.
Go offer 17 and see what occurs. Ask @mark_m what the asking price was for his, and what he paid. I forgot. Then you will know your wiggle room. They will wiggle. Then don't look back. They won't sell you garbage. If you want to take it out for a ride the week of the 12th let's go. I'm sure they will let us take it for a spin.

As for the carpet, don't sweat it. I never put mine in nor have I added any after market stuff. The surface has yet to get too hot to stand on, even in July.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Get the 05 for 17,500 with the 2014 trailer, warranty, reputable seller and be done with it. Of course, I'd grab the one in SC IF it has the HO motors and I could get it for 21, but I don't think it does have the HO motors. You don't need the tower. At all. I thought I would need one when I bought my 08 SX230. I was looking for either an AR or an SX. The AR's were scarcer and cost alot more. The SX deal came up and I snatched it up. Have not regretted not having a tower. The blue one at Bayside hit the dock bad, which is why it needed repainted. Owned by a geezer who couldn't drive, apparently. That's why it is low hours and why it was re-painted. The painter said he just painted them both for re-sale. This was just an innocuous statement brought up by some guy I was speaking to, who was admiring and photographing another boat which looked gorgeous. I asked him if he was picking it up. He said nope, I am just taking photos for myself. You won't catch me on a jet boat, but I did paint it. (I thought he was a customer picking up his boat and found out he was their painter). I asked him about the a paint job he was admiring, and he got all technical on me and said it would never fade, blah blah blah. I asked him how much it cost to paint it and he said they retailed the paint job at 2000. He then said he also painted the blue one and the black one which are up for sale.
Go offer 17 and see what occurs. Ask @mark_m what the asking price was for his, and what he paid. I forgot. Then you will know your wiggle room. They will wiggle. Then don't look back. They won't sell you garbage. If you want to take it out for a ride the week of the 12th let's go. I'm sure they will let us take it for a spin.

As for the carpet, don't sweat it. I never put mine in nor have I added any after market stuff. The surface has yet to get too hot to stand on, even in July.
The 2007 in SC is @Andy S boat he traded in on a Cobalt. @Andy S was it a HO? I think they gave him 19-20K range trade in and have not had to do anything to it so there mark up would be from there.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The 2007 in SC is @Andy S boat he traded in on a Cobalt. @Andy S was it a HO? I think they gave him 19-20K range trade in and have not had to do anything to it so there mark up would be from there.
Yes it has the HO motor with about 150 hours.

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow I know if I was trying to sale my boat it would be spotless! Both of those boats look to have sitting outside for a while.

i would also go with the AR, once you hit the lakes you will wish you had a tower.
To the dealers credit he said it would be spotless on pickup so I trust him...

Several people have had dealings with him and let's be honest it's a 11 year old boat...
I have boat bling cleaning supplies in my shopping cart ready to go LOL!!

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
To the dealers credit he said it would be spotless on pickup so I trust him...

Several people have had dealings with him and let's be honest it's a 11 year old boat...
I have boat bling cleaning supplies in my shopping cart ready to go LOL!!
Have you decided @chess ? You're killing me smalls!

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Small update.....I'm on my flight to Vegas for work ha and I'll have everything figutred out by tomorrow :)

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Small update.....I'm on my flight to Vegas for work ha and I'll have everything figutred out by tomorrow :)
Unless I hit for a lot of $$$ and a 2016 will be the choice LOL

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would choose the SX with the HO engines. As I agree the AR doesn't look to have them. Well a 2016 would be nice to. Winner winner chicken dinner

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I still can't believe my boat has only lost $10k from purchase point. That's nuts!

Go with the sx230.... That ar is a little overpriced IMHO.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As much as I like my AR and the tower, I have to agree on the SX of these two. Price differential is just too great. Plus, mods not done the way you want them done are only extra effort to un-do them and re-do them...

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I say look for an 07. You can find 07s for low 20's

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sold....
Picking up the SX230 on Friday the 17th !!