• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Shifting problems 2010 SX210

2Point-Oh!

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is very tough to shift. You have to push pretty hard to go forward or reverse. Then what happens is you end up with to much throttle and the boat jumps to fast and it makes passengers get whiplash. Anyone have any suggestions of where to start with this fix?

isitsummeryet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your throttle cables need lubed. It is a direct mechanical linkage so any resistance in the sliding action will be felt directly at the throttle lever. There is a thread on "Easy way to lube throttle cables" somewhere here. Search for it. Considering your boat is a 2010, it would indicate that your throttle cables need lubed at the jet pump assembly area and also inside the engine bay where the throttle cables are mount on the sidewalls (one for each engine). Green roll cable assembly. Those also may need lubed.

Hector Corzo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is very tough to shift. You have to push pretty hard to go forward or reverse. Then what happens is you end up with to much throttle and the boat jumps to fast and it makes passengers get whiplash. Anyone have any suggestions of where to start with this fix?
I believe there is a couple of screws you can thigh or loosen in the shifter box.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe there is a couple of screws you can thigh or loosen in the shifter box.
If the levers were fine before and now are very tight, I estimate 99% chance the cables are binding due to rust and age. With a hose and some air pressure you can rig something to inject oil around the cable from the stern. This may give you some respite, but won't be perfect. It's worth trying if you have access to the boat and some time. Disconnect the gate from the reverse gate cable and place a hose around it that reaches all the way to the base with a hose clamp, then fill hose with light oil (Such as PB Blaster, or some other penetrating oil. Even motor oil can help) then hook up air compressor or air pump and apply LOW pressure to start while someone moves the lever for the engine you are working on back and forth. repeat until it's loose, add more air pressure to make the oil go further back. There is a chance some oil may reach all the way to the binnacle and could make a little mess, but to me it's worth the risk.

Total solution is to replace the shift cables. They are not terribly expensive and will restore silk feel to that first portion of the throttle lever.

If it's so tight now, I would caution you it has gone from a comfort issue to a safety issue, those cables can snap in one of those tight moves when everything seemed jammed and you give it just a little more power with your arm to move it..then "SNAP" and the cable breaks and the lever is really loose now, but the gate doesn't move anymore. It's not a story I heard, this happened to me first hand with an earlier boat with a very similar control system.

Best of Luck!

RyanTexas

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The problem was a broken shift cable. Easy fix and not complicated at all. Thanks for the tips!
Do you happen to remember the steps you did to replace the cable? I will have to replace 2 shifter cables very soon because they are hard to shift now.

Thanks

2Point-Oh!

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you happen to remember the steps you did to replace the cable? I will have to replace 2 shifter cables very soon because they are hard to shift now.

Thanks
Hello, I think it will be easier to replace 2 at the same time. Because there will be one less obstruction when snaking through boat. I took apart at the helm. Inside the shifter box is pretty simple stuff. Take a pic though or just do one at a time and then you can see how the other one goes on. After disconnecting cable from shifter disconnect from jets. This is where it gets a bit tricky but not to bad. I watched a YouTube video. You should be able to find one on that part. on the shifter end of cable I attached a line with a little twisting and duct tape. Then pull the cable from the stern. Unwrap line and attach line to new cables. Pull line from shifter area. I think you got the rest! Its a easy job! oh yeah there is a plastic shield on cables when it goes through engine compartment. That shield is split so it comes off and on easy. Best wishes!

RyanTexas

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello, I think it will be easier to replace 2 at the same time. Because there will be one less obstruction when snaking through boat. I took apart at the helm. Inside the shifter box is pretty simple stuff. Take a pic though or just do one at a time and then you can see how the other one goes on. After disconnecting cable from shifter disconnect from jets. This is where it gets a bit tricky but not to bad. I watched a YouTube video. You should be able to find one on that part. on the shifter end of cable I attached a line with a little twisting and duct tape. Then pull the cable from the stern. Unwrap line and attach line to new cables. Pull line from shifter area. I think you got the rest! Its a easy job! oh yeah there is a plastic shield on cables when it goes through engine compartment. That shield is split so it comes off and on easy. Best wishes!
Thank you 2Point