• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Shopping for used jet boat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Bayliner
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hi all, thanks for your time and attention while reading this post.
My grandfather currently owns a 2014 Bayliner Capri with a 115 merc outboard. We like to tube and waterski off the boat but we always seem to have trouble as the 3ft draft limits us in shallower water and the setup just wasn't designed for performance/watersports. We love the 4 stroke reliability and like cruising around. We frequently beach the boat in the cove with 6 people + a dog and some light cargo. We are looking for something able to get up on the water from a wakeboard or skis without the sluggishness that the bayliner has, to no fault of its own. To overcome our issues with the bayliner we have decided on a jet boat. I consider myself mechanically inclined but haven't done much work in the marine setting but can work on 2 strokes no problem. Looking on FB marketplace I narrowed my results down to a 2000 LS2000 and an 04 Ls2000. Will these be good boats for our purposes? Is the 2 stroke power and style worth the reliability over a later model 4 stroke? My grandfathers main concern is losing an oil line and blowing an engine, losing our investment. I personally don't think this will be an issue as long as we check the oil clamps and the tank level. Our budget is loosely set at 10K for a 2 stroke and 18K for a 4 stroke (newer years, higher prices etc). Those 2 yamahas I mentioned earlier both have great upholstry and finish, both very important to us as well. Are these a safe bet to water test and maybe buy to replace the bayliner?

We are in the Great South Bay in Long Island with relatively choppy waters and high winds. If the LS2000 won't take the waves well, we will settle for something else.

FB Listings:

Last edited:

Fishwater2002

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
At your budget of 18k if you’re patient you should be able to find an SX230 or AR, I just picked up a pretty clean 04 SX230 for 15k but it needs some work. I wouldn’t mess around with a 2 stroke boat when the 4 strokes are so reliable & FINALLY coming down in price. I’m in the North East & we pay more for everything like you do in NY but prices are dropping, just be patient, within the next few weeks I bet you’ll find a pretty nice newer boat within your budget.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Bayliner
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
At your budget of 18k if you’re patient you should be able to find an SX230 or AR, I just picked up a pretty clean 04 SX230 for 15k but it needs some work. I wouldn’t mess around with a 2 stroke boat when the 4 strokes are so reliable & FINALLY coming down in price. I’m in the North East & we pay more for everything like you do in NY but prices are dropping, just be patient, within the next few weeks I bet you’ll find a pretty nice newer boat within your budget.
Ok. Are there any twin engine 4 strokes out there or are they all singles? I really like the maneuverability of a twin. Going to do a compression test and drive an 04 ls2000 today.

Fishwater2002

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok. Are there any twin engine 4 strokes out there or are they all singles? I really like the maneuverability of a twin. Going to do a compression test and drive an 04 ls2000 today.
Absolutely, I believe anything over 19’ is twin engine. Look up my 2004 SX230, you’ll see that it’s a much more substantial boat then what you’re currently looking at. Much deeper, better for rough water, more of a real boat with a real windshield & less of the older toy like jet boats of old.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Bayliner
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok. I am assuming an ar230 and other similar boats will be fine as well. I see one for sale for 16K and asked if I can run a compression test but he "doesn't want some stranger to rip apart his engine and leave". Will keep looking.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
An ls2000 with good oil lines and a full oil tank can still have problem (carbs)

But if you do lose a two stroke engine they are cheap to fix.

The four strokes and the newer electronics have their own problems and cost a whole lot more to fix.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Bayliner
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I totally agree theMfM. While the 4 strokes may be reliable I’ll probably be spending at least another thousand on an obd set for the boat— diagnosing on a 2 stroke is just so much easier