• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Shoreland'r Serious Safety Issue - Check your fenders!

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Regarding recent model year Shoreland'r trailers. This has been mentioned in other posts, but since it is a serious safety issue, I thought that it should be posted in a separate thread.
Some newer model Shoreland'r trailers have a vibration problem that can loosen the fender nuts, crack the fender diamond plate, and crack the mounting bracket. My personal experience is with a 2015 tandem trailer. There are three spots where the fenders are attached. Two of them can be seen at the leading and trailing edge of the diamond plate, BUT there are also nuts and bolts on the middle section (bottom side) of the fender that can loosen.
Nuts, bolts, and brackets falling off your trailer at highway speeds can obviously cause a serious accident. @Majorsmackdown recently had a blow-out (2016 tandem trailer) while towing back from the Bimini trip. A very likely cause is that the nuts and bolts from his center fender bracket vibrated off and the bracket swung into his tire causing his blow-out.
When I received my boat in May of 2015, the 200 mile tow to deliver it had loosened the center bracket nuts on my driver's side fender, and one of the bolts had already fallen out. I replaced them with nylon-sleeved locking nuts, BUT I should take another look at the passenger side and replace them too.
Check your nuts! Sorry, I couldn't resist.
My driver's side fender diamond plate and center bracket have developed cracks at the 5000 mile mark. Other forum members have experienced cracks on both fenders. Shoreland'r is stepping up and replacing the cracked fenders and brackets, BUT the problem is destined to reoccur if the root cause is not addressed.
My guess is that the vibration is coming from the wheels. In other posts, some members have changed their tires from bias ply to radials in order to correct the problem.
I can't feel any vibration from my trailer, but I can see the fenders vibrating in my side mirrors. My driver's side fender vibrates much more than my passenger side, and it's the driver's side that has cracked, so I'm certain that vibration is the root cause.
I think that it is very important that anybody with a newer Shoreland'r trailer check their fenders. Loose nuts, missing bolts, cracked diamond plate, cracked brackets, are all signs of an underlying problem that should be addressed.
I think that the vibrations are coming from the wheels. The wheels that come with the trailer are not balanced. Some members say that balancing them won't fix the problem, and they decided to switch from bias ply tires to radials. I just received 5 new radials from Carlisle. They came mounted on galvanized rims, just like the stock rims that my trailer came with. I just looked at them and ALL 5 WHEELS ARE BALANCED. The weights range from 1 oz, up to 4 oz.
Shoreland'r seems to be doing a good job repairing the broken parts, but I haven't seen any evidence that they understand the severity of the situation, and that the underlying root cause is with wheel vibration. Maybe they aim to design/build their trailers to endure the vibration from bias ply tires? Based on one post, I get the sense that Shoreland'r has redesigned the fender bracket. Carlisle has demonstrated good will, and may be willing to replace/upgrade the vibration-prone bias ply tires to balanced radials.
If you have a recent model Shoreland'r trailer, the first thing that you need to do is to look for the symptoms: cracked diamond plate, cracked brackets, loose nuts, missing nuts/bolts.

Be safe.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had this same problem but seemed to fix it when I replaced the diamond plate. It seems the diamond plate comes as a straight flat piece and is just bolted on to the plastic fender without pre-bending it. I noticed when I took off one cracked diamond plate that it sprung up once the bolt was removed. When I replaced the new one I bent it to the shape of the plastic before bolting it down. The vibration seemed to go away on that side. I think the diamond plate is acting as a giant spring causing the plastic fender to bounce around and the plate to crack. this is a pic I posted with the old plate on top and the new one I pre-bent below it. This is just what I found, your results may vary..........20160515_141231.jpg

AR240

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mr. Moose,

Thank you for your forum post back in 2016. At that time I did not notice any issue with my fenders. However, while I was reading through various posts a couple of months ago, I came across your post again and decided to check my fenders again as I am getting ready for a long trip with our boat. Sure enough the diamond plate was cracked at the rear bolts on the drivers side and a couple of small cracks in the diamond plate on the passenger side. I contacted Shorelandr and they requested a couple of photos. After reviewing the photos Shorelandr acknowledged the issue and told me they had redesigned the brackets and they shipped me a new set. The center bracket was the biggest upgrade as they are now using a 1/4 inch aluminum bracket. When I removed the old fenders that's when I discovered there was a crack in the center bracket and it would not have been long before it completely broke through and I would have experienced a serious failure. I really appreciate your post, as I would not have checked the fenders if I had not read your post.

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I have a new 2017 Shorelandr for a 24 footer dual axle. On Monday I replaced 5 (five) missing bolts and nuts on the left side of the trailer. I have cracks on both sides of the diamond plates at the bolt locations. Should I contact Shorelandr. The trailer is 11 months old and less than a 1000 miles on it.

Update!!!!!!!!!!!!! Contacted shorelandr and explained in an email the problem that I was having. This is their response...…………………...

"We're sorry that you are experiencing this, Brian; we did partner with Yamaha to send out a bulletin to all dealers to have a stronger fender brace and fenders - with improved fasteners - applied to trailers in the field.

Contact your dealer to schedule a service appointment to have both fenders replaced (see the attached). Have your Yamaha dealer contact Michelle in our warranty department directly at mschmidt@midwestindustries.com to get these parts coming to them."

ShoreLand'r

Attachments

Last edited:

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Brian, Michelle is the person I dealt with and she was very helpful with getting my fenders replaced. Her information is listed below if you do not have it already.

Michelle Schmidt
CUSTOMER SERVICE
122 E. State Hwy. 175 · Ida Grove, IA 51445
T 712.364.3365 ext. 316
TF 800.859.3028
F 712.364.4860
I sent the email from shorelander to my dealer and he is processing the warranty replacement for me with Michelle. I am so happy that I found that thread because I was really pissed off seeing the cracks in the diamond plate and losing 5 bolts and nuts on a new trailer.

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just noticed this issue the other day. Looks like a trip to the dealer at the end of the season!!

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Brian_NY Did you get it replaced? Do she state the years the bulletin applies to? Is there a visual cue to know if current trailers need to be addressed?

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I did get my new fenders warrantied. Shorlandr will want picture showing cracks around the bolt hed on the top of the diamond plate as proof. Very easy process and they were more than helpful.

RCarlisle

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have this exact same issue. Adding it to the warranty claims I have already. Thank you for the post! I thought this was somehow my fault.

LukePrinsloo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
my fender has a crack in it and one of my tires is a new goodyear from what I bet is a blowout the prior owner had.
Guess I need to call shorelander.

Sweinberger

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just picked up a used boat and it looks like the trailer has this issue. Both supports are sheered off and all 4 bolts show cracking in the diamond plating.. it my understanding that the warranty is only valid for the original owner, too.. I found the schematics in a previous post (thank you) following up with the local Yamaha dealer for details. Thought I might see if anyone had a good source for parts out of warranty.

RCarlisle

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Mine did the same and they warrantied those fenders. Completely changed them out and updated to led lights. I’d take it to the dealer and try. Mine were done a few months ago.

Sweinberger

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have a call out to the dealer to see what they can do.. waiting for the call back.. seems like the best option for this issue right now.. glad you were able to take care of it through the dealer. Hope I have the same luck.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All my lights fell off when bolts came out.
Wow, lights fell off! When new, I went over my trailer, almost bolt to bolt. Any nuts that I could touch, I did so in order to verify that they were tight. I found loose nuts on my fenders, so I replaced them with nylock nuts right away... in the Home Depot parking lot.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I haven't posted on this topic for a while, but I can't complain about how Shoreland'r handled my case. While I lived in TX, they paid for my local dealer to replace my cracked diamond plate. After the initial replacement, Shoreland'r redesigned the brackets that attach the fender to the trailer. Since that redesign, I developed a crack in one of my original brackets, and my diamond plate cracked again while towing the boat from TX to Alberta, Canada.
Upon arriving in Alberta, I contacted Shoreland'r, and they promptly sent the required parts to the closest dealer who services their product.
So, I dropped the trailer off to the Bass Pro Shop for the work. When I picked up the trailer, I checked over the work (as I always do) and I noticed that one of the brackets had not been replaced. I brought this to the attention of the mechanic who informed me that it didn't need to be replaced because it wasn't cracked. I educated him on the situation, and he completed the bracket replacement (luckily he had not tossed the unused bracket).
I guess that my point is that you should always look over the boat/trailer when someone does work on it. My first Yamaha dealership service experience (10 hr mark) was not good, so the only time that I let anybody work on my boat is if it's under warranty, where to get the parts, they need to go to and be installed by the dealership... and when they do, it's usually not done right the first time, hence the importance of QC'ing their work.
I can honestly say that I have never dropped my boat off at a dealership for warranty work and had it get properly repaired the first time.

Lastly, although I have no complaints about how Shoreland'r took care of my situation, considering that this situation has led to at least one tire blow-out (@Majorsmackdown ), I would think that Yamaha/Shorelandr' would have actively recalled the trailers with the down level brackets. I know that there was a service memo issued by Yamaha some time ago (that had the wrong date codes in it), but that's different than sending out letters to owners regarding a safety recall, like the car companies have to do. I guess that there are different rules for different industries.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wonder if, in addition to replacing the diamond plate fender supports, some locktite might be in order. It sounds like the nuts are vibrating off.

Sweinberger

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I wonder if, in addition to replacing the diamond plate fender supports, some locktite might be in order. It sounds like the nuts are vibrating off.
Once I get word on the direction I have to go to get this fixed (contacted a local dealer and shorelandr), I was planning to go over all the entire trailer to determine what I need where.. but locktite isn't a bad idea.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After fixing your fenders it will most likely happen again if you dont sort out the cause of the vibration.
Tires, load placement, over heavy tongue weight, excessive brake vibration, Etc.
I am still running the original fenders and brackets with no issues. I have the replacement fenders and brackets stored for future use if need be.
From day one I set my tongue weight to within shorlandr specs and replaced tires with the radials( free from Carlise) and balanced them myself .
I have never seem my fenders shake

Last edited: