• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Should this be covered by warranty?

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Was waxing this week when I found what appears to be shrinkage spider cracks near the tower. I sent these photos to dealer and they’re working with Yamaha to determine if it’s covered by warranty or not. Dealer said it might not because it’s close to the tower, which Yamaha thinks indicates I’ve been stressing the tower too much. But, this isn’t really close to the tower IMO and I don't pull anything from the tower b/c my kids are too young and the tube is pulled from the lower tow point. Dealer wants to inspect in-person, which means I’ll have to haul the freshly detailed boat 1.5 hours each way and potentially leave it on their gravel lot to have it fixed. Boat is always in my garage and is sparkling clean. It’s shinning like a new penny right now, so I can't stand the thought of it getting dirty again. :banghead:

Attachments

Ziess21

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Looks more like an impact mark to me. Do you lower your tower much? Is there a way the pin coulda smacked that one spot?

The alternative is it could be an air void underneath that is cracking out, would have to grind it back to confirm that though.

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It's not an impact. I do lower the tower each time it goes in/out of the garage, but do it slowly b/c of the pins potential to scratch the fiberglass.

My 2014 Regal had one of these pop up and it was covered under warranty. I sure hope this is too. Pisses me off.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would give it a try since you've got a reasonably new boat. So that you are prepared for the discussion, look at your Warranty Terms under the section "Specific Exclusions", specifically the "Appearance-Related Damage" paragraph.

Dwrat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks more like an impact mark to me. Do you lower your tower much? Is there a way the pin coulda smacked that one spot?

The alternative is it could be an air void underneath that is cracking out, would have to grind it back to confirm that though.
100% correct above.
Yamaha will not cover that is my guess.

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Air voids are covered under warranty. This most certainly is not an impact mark. Impact marks have a circular formation, like a spider web, whereas this clearly doesn't. I'm taking it to the dealer this Friday for a closer look and review from the local fiberglass expert they use. Keeping my fingers crossed.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Agree that this does not appear to be impact related.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It could be an impact - but from under/inside of the hull cap, which is exactly what it would look like.
But it seems extremely unlikely given the location - what could be in there on the inside that’s possibly bouncing around?

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
on my 09, I had little cracks around the base of the windshield every foot or so. Yamaha covered that under warranty and their reasoning was that it looked like the windshield mounting bolts weren't perfectly lined up with the holed in the fiberglass. It was at the glass shop for a few weeks, was fixed, and looked perfect when done.

Yours looks like a slightly different case, but you never know what they may cover.

Ziess21

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Showed it to my glass guy and he says it is definitely something from behind that hit it. Could have even been when they pulled it from the mold if they attached at a point right behind it. I'd guess Yamaha will cover it.

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Inside that area is inaccessible, unless you’re working on the boat from inside the gunnels. I can’t even access that area without taking anything apart. Boat sits in my garage and is strictly off limits to kids when no adults are around. Kids know I don’t screw around with boat rules! 😆 I’ll let guys know what the dealer tells me tomorrow. Going for a cruise while I have it near the lake. Will need to wear my jacket though. 😉

Bryan L

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Inside that area is inaccessible, unless you’re working on the boat from inside the gunnels. I can’t even access that area without taking anything apart. Boat sits in my garage and is strictly off limits to kids when no adults are around. Kids know I don’t screw around with boat rules! 😆 I’ll let guys know what the dealer tells me tomorrow. Going for a cruise while I have it near the lake. Will need to wear my jacket though. 😉
I hope you have success with your claim. I also have a gel coat issue. I was denied my claim. My cracking is right under the port bow jumpseat. I going to try again with a new dealership, now that I am out here.

Attachments