• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Showed my a** at the ramp this weekend

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I stopped trying to make sense of what happens at the ramps a long time ago.

I several instances on film. In one I was recovering the boat alone and the guys next to me let their dog roam free even let it swim in the water at the ramp that I was backing my trailer into.

A few weeks ago I pulled up to the recovery ramp (at this place there are three launch ramps and one recovery ramp), just as I'm about to get out to fetch the tow vehicle a group with a ski boat backs into the ramp so I move the boat out of the way while I got my tow vehicle. As I was putting my boat on the trailer this guys and his crew were still on the ramp, not even in the water, doing all their prep, sun block, loading the cooler, etc. I didn't need to say a thing there were plenty of other boaters there giving him feedback he didn't seem to listen until his boat hit the water and he started getting yelled at by nearby boaters who though his boat was getting way to close to theirs.

Just this past weekend I hit the ramp closest to me on the lake, their was a couple with a small ski boat in front of me on the phone, on closer inspection their was a group of about 15 people using the only dock at the ramp as a base for their jet skiing activity, instead of approaching the large jet ski group to see if they could move for the couple in front of me (of course the lake patrol is not in sight to enforce the no anything but launching or recovering rule) I just drove the two miles to the other ramp where I asked one guy to walk his boat to the other side of the dock so I could launch mine, I even offered to help but he declined.

It's not rocket science, I don't back the trailer into the water unless the boat is ready go out or come in immediately afterwards. I've also hammered in to the minds of my family and usual crew that the ramp is the kill zone, lots of accidents and injuries happen there where land and land vehicles meets the water and water vehicles. I try to never let the idiots it get to me anymore and found that most of the time it's easier to just just stay out of of their way.

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oh, these stories bring back memories of last summer, before the lift was completed! :cool:

We drop the boat in at the state park, a single ramp - nice, concrete, good slope, but not too wide - I've got about 2' on either side of the trailer. To the right of the ramp is a nice sandy beach. So of course I was beyond pissed when the kayak group was taking for bloody EVER to get off. Part of the problem was the couple that would only fit inside the kayak if someone lubed up the hull first - and then, of course, when they sat in the kayak it would hit bottom and they could not move, so they got out again, and the back in for the same result! Ok, that did get funny to watch but I have to admit that I too started backing up to the ramp after waiting for 15 minutes for these clowns to set off.

And then there were the teenagers fishing while sitting and standing on one side of the ramp. Disregard the 80' of pier nearby. Why the hell would you want to fish from there? So I politely asked them to move since I didn't want to hit them - and they told me in no uncertain terms what I could do with myself and that I should learn to "back a f*@ing trailer". Funny thing is that I can thread a needle in reverse with the trailer - so I asked anyone within earshot to confirm that I warned them (guy closest, also waiting for the ramp confirmed that if I didn't run the little bastards over, he'd be happy to!) and then backed the boat in. Unnecessarily stressful!

By contrast, we put the boat in at the same place this Saturday and even though it was Memorial Day week end it was stunningly organized and civilized! People even parked properly. Still, it was a pleasure to put the boat back on the lift for the season.

DGap

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You know, I was that guy when I first bought the boat. I've backed down a ramp with a dead battery, no boat keys, transom straps still attached, diagonal across a 4 lane ramp (even after a lot of practice in my driveway and a parking lot). I've sucked up fishing lines attached to poles in a small harbor. I've had people tell me that they watched me and are "sure glad they aren't the only ones" who had to learn the hard way. Now, I'm ready to go in the prep area, I have a checklist and my wife and boys all know their roles. 45 seconds and done.

I'm pretty glad that people were patient with me. That ramp can be a stressful place on a busy weekend.

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My biggest pet peeve about where we launch is in the parking lot. All of the spaces in the lot are obviously made to accommodate a truck and trailer, but people always seem to want to park their single little car in one of these spaces instead of the lot they are supposed to park in. Drives me nuts!

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My biggest pet peeve about where we launch is in the parking lot. All of the spaces in the lot are obviously made to accommodate a truck and trailer, but people always seem to want to park their single little car in one of these spaces instead of the lot they are supposed to park in. Drives me nuts!
I have the Harbor Master on speed dial for that exact reason. $50 fine.

BAC.94

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sounds like Raccoon Lake!

JTC1016

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Our ramp had a tow truck sit and watch for that all day on Memorial Day and a few got towed.

Blazin14

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
we load and unload this this most days. Not sure what the issue is unless you don't have other courtesy docks. Park at the courtesy dock till you back you trailer in then move your boat to the ramp to load. No need to block the ramp for those that are only 5 mins to load. I feel that if you trailer isn't at the ramp your boat shouldn't be either if there are courtesy docks
yea ..no courtesy ramp.

So here is the problem, when you back away from the dock after your buddy went to get the truck, I will then pull up and dock my boat and leave to get my truck when I return I find your truck backing down with my boat on the ramp dock. My only suggestion is just stay at the dock, I will wait my turn.

Sometimes I see like 10 bass boats hanging out and waiting......I think the bass boat like to power load, which is illegal at our ramp...

Devildog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't trailer my boat, but can understand the inconsiderate ones. I post on a local website as well and there was a thread on "dumbest things you saw this weekend while boating". It is simply amazing how so many people either have no self-awareness or are just complete jags. We have some low bridges near us, but some people just don't think ahead to ensure that their Bimini, etc. does not hit the bridge. So they slam their boats in reverse as they enter the bridge and take their sweet arse time to take down their tops, etc. Meanwhile, the boat traffic behind them are taking corrective action to not slam into each other. I had to yell at one of the boats this weekend. He basically stopped under the bridge even though he had like 2 ft of clearance. He kept looking up like his boat was gonna hit the bridge. I finally screamed for him to get moving. The dude seemed like he wanted to engage with me, but he sped away. I just wanted the guy to get moving.

So that is one of my pet peeves.......I feel much better now :).

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Why so much anger? I thought boating was supposed to be a stress relief :)

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
There in lies the problem. More than one opinion, and generally the guy with the opinion thinks he is the only one right. Courtesy goes a long ways. But I feel your frustration, I have felt it myself many times. This has to be the umpteenth post I have made in a thread on ramp courtesy. You guys (and gals) realize that "ramp courtesy" may not be a true a oxymoron, but it certainly a contradictory statement, because on holidays, finding courtesy at a boat ramp is a pretty tough job. I have faith that there are good folks in the world, that will jump up and help, even on a holiday weekend!

robert cabrerea

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I understand the frustration. Boat ramps seem to be magnets for annoying selfish egomaniacs so I try to think to myself ...they may be the ones to throw me a line and tow me home if I am in need. This brings me back to reality. Its all fun and games cant get mad. But I can relate my friend.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think we all have the same inconsiderate people living next to all of us. I fortunately work off of a small one lane ramp that is mostly used by fisherman and families that seem to know what they are doing. My wife is the one that gets pissed off and yells. I'm quicker to come over and just help. Especially when I can see one or two people trying their best and everyone just standing and pointing.
I'll come help... just so you get out of my way quicker. But I also have to agree with @DieselCamel - my boat ramp (and I thought all ramps) go in line of the trailer at the ramp. Drop off your driver and get out of the way. Come back when your tow vehicle is ready.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There in lies the problem. More than one opinion, and generally the guy with the opinion thinks he is the only one right. Courtesy goes a long ways. But I feel your frustration, I have felt it myself many times. This has to be the umpteenth post I have made in a thread on ramp courtesy. You guys (and gals) realize that "ramp courtesy" may not be a true a oxymoron, but it certainly a contradictory statement, because on holidays, finding courtesy at a boat ramp is a pretty tough job. I have faith that there are good folks in the world, that will jump up and help, even on a holiday weekend!
I think all these same idiots described above go to my gym. They are all the ones that never put their weights away after using them, take equipment out of designated areas and leave in non-designated areas, hang a towel on one piece of equipment to "hold" said piece of equipment while they work on another separate piece of equipment, I could go on and on....... I just want to slap them all!

Jasonsbiz74

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My story: Helping my buddy put his boat in the water for the first time (first time ever) on Saturday, I too encountered some knuckleheads who didn't have it together at the ramp. There were 3-4 guys going out fishing. (Our ramp has one in and one out). Guy #1 backed the truck down the ramp but lets just say after the 4th or 5th (or so) try the dad came up to give it a try. Took him 2 times to get it straight and down to the water line. Once pops get the boat down to the water line, they started loading their gear from the Suburban. Multiple fishing poles (not assembled, so they were assembling as they go) , tackle boxes, little coolers, etc. The boat ramp master heads over and explains to them the rules, etiquette and common sense and ends up telling them (which I loved by the way) to go home and watch some You Tube Videos on boat ramp rules, etc..... By the way, as the dockmaster is talking they are all standing there not doing anything. UGH ! After they get their talking to and load the boat in they take off and my buddy and I are in and out in 2-3 mins and the 4 ppl waiting behind us are happy. I think these kind of situations are among the top issues we deal with but like others have mentioned, it is annoying but we try to not let it ruin our days....thank you and good night. that is my story.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was queued up about 8 or 9 boats back to launch on Monday, no biggie; waited and inched along... Once in the pole position the guy on deck starts to hang fender one and then untie re tie.. I look across and see two ramps open... I didn't say anything... He tells me he wants the nearest inside ramp... I see the third lane open up...

He starts his backup in desired lane, once he's clear I shoot to the far side and go...

I don't / didn't let it bug me, it seems that most people get wrapped up in their own thing until they get experience. I tend to give benefit of the doubt.

Positive story from last year, my stern bunk rotted off the lag bolt and a jet ski guy gave me two 6"'bungee cords which I used to secure the bunk until I replaced them at the end of the season. I tried to offer him money he said he was paying it forward.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here is my story from this weekend.

A guy and his kid pull up to the ramp, prep in the prep area, they look like they have launching down to a science with the kid holding both lines as dad backs the boat and trailer into the water at the ramp. Dad stops short initially, so the boat doesn't drift off the trailer. He backs the trailer in further, still no movement, after snapping at his kid, dad gets out to try and push the boat off the trailer which does not work either. Dad backs the trailer further in to the point where water is just an inch or so below the rear hatch on the his SUV tow vehicle. Again no movement, again dad gets out to push on the bow manually. This all takes place over a period of less than two minutes and with a small audience on the dock. Finally dad relents and pulls the boat and trailer out of the water to the top of the ramp. Low and behold, one of the transom straps is still attached. After it is detached the father son team launch the boat and clear the ramp in less than 30 seconds.

If you have not already guessed it, this father and son team is my boy and I. Clearly this is one of my worst launches ever, fortunately there was nobody waiting to launch behind me nor in the process of recovering their boat, if there was I believe that I would have cleared the ramp a lot sooner. My point is things like this happen even to those with lots of experience and it is a good reminder, for me anyway, to keep cool when it happens whether too me or someone in front of me at the ramp.