• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sick to my stomach - Need guidance

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, this happened today while I was, you guessed it, pulling into the dock... @bgood188 , this looks a lot like your scratch, so I'm going off your DIY thread as I move forward. As far as the bilge drain, the through hull fitting is stuck pretty good into the hose, replacing the hose is cheap and routing looks simple enough. Found the following parts on yamahasportsplaza,com: Hose F1T-U8366-00-00, Through-Hull GP1-U7616-10-00.

Want to fix this the right way, but don't want to lose what little summer I have left. What can I use to waterproof seal where the scratch digs into the fiberglass? Found this on iboats.com https://www.iboats.com/shop/itw-philadelphia-resins-marine-tex-rapid-set-2-oz-kit.html. Is this bad enough I need to fix it now?

View attachment 81752
The issue with using epoxy is that is binds to poly (FRP, gel coat) really well, however it does not work the other way around - so when it come time to gelcoat over an epoxy repair you will need to remove the epoxy or score/grind it really well, which is not easy as it is very hard (and the surrounding gelcoat/frp will be much softer).

This is a big scratch, but I would still fill it with gel coat paste, just use several thin coats, not one.

--

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Glassman

First time out on the boat, hit the dock right after taking off the trailer.

I was thinking of using the repair kit from spectrum color. They do not have 2019 listed for color yet. Since it is in the white section is it safe to assume it is the same white as the 2018 models?

https://spectrumcolor-com.3dcartstores.com/YAMAHA-BOAT-WHITE-COAT-5-LVOC-04-18_p_980.html

This looks like a pretty deep gouge. Will the process be the correct way to fix this?

Thanks for the help!

99D878D2-7E12-48CF-8D7E-F1A3F95CFFA3.jpeg 2B75F763-72BF-45A2-A379-2F2E53331D6E.jpeg

Edit: found this video and thought it was a very good step by step using the spectrum paste kit.

Last edited:

Lunarvrx

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Today I thought I would get a couple hr's on the water between calls. I had a bone head move and hit a dock that was not in place yet. So, it had a diamond plate hanging down which I did not see when I swing the back end in.View attachment 4401View attachment 4402
I had a few similar booboos on my new VRX. In my case the white was just white paint from the dock edge I hit. I used 49MARINE.RV Oxidation remover - with much rubbing it came right out red. I expect it is pretty much just rubbing compound. Might be worth a try for starters. Fixing deeper scratches in the gelcoat is quite doo-able as others have noted. The ones that really bug me are the ones that scrape the decals. Next boat I order (probably never) I would be tempted order without decals. In the meantime I am getting more careful when docking and using the docking mode.

Attachments

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Today I thought I would get a couple hr's on the water between calls. I had a bone head move and hit a dock that was not in place yet. So, it had a diamond plate hanging down which I did not see when I swing the back end in.View attachment 4401View attachment 4402
@bgood188 yes, most of us know that first sick feeling of having swapped some gelcoat with a dock. From what I see the area needs to be cleaned out with a dremel-like tool, wiped with acetone, filled and faired, primed and have some gel coat sprayed on it. Then the wet sanding and buffing. Wait at least 30 days then wax. Because this is a new (and beautiful) boat I recommend having a specialty marine repair shop do the work. My guess would be around $500.00 or a bit less for an invisible job. I do not think the average homeowner could do this boat justice and IMO the gel coat needs to be sprayed-on....not a Spectrum Homeowners Kit.....for this job. Don't run it through your insurance, save that for something big and don't bee too hard on yourself. This $hit happens in boating! Good Luck. :cool:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Lol... you guys do know the original post is 6 years old...