• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sick to my stomach - Need guidance

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Plenty of paper towels, latex gloves, a few popsicle sticks and small Dixie cups

-Vinyl-ester resin and MEK
-Sand Paper (80 grit/ coarse)
-Sand Paper (180 grit/ medium)
-Sand Paper (360 grit/ fine)
-Sand Paper (1200 grit/ ultra fine) All above is wet/dry
-2-inch Masking Tape
-Gel Coat hardener
-Gel Coat (color matched)
-Acetone (Patch Aid in humid climates)
-Polishing Compound
-Electric or Air Buffer
-Spray gun (touch-up gun) small craft type air brush will work
-3M Finesse-It II Finishing Material
-Marine Paste Wax

I would use a tiny amount of resin to seal the exposed glass, but it isn't 100% necessary...just the way I do things. It may be cost prohibitive to buy it for such a tiny area.
@Glassman, for the win....

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
He listed two sources about 5 posts back up the thread @Bruce . I have used the 2 oz containers and they work well. But it is just a patch kit and doesn't contain all the stuff @Glassman listed. I am wondering if he would recommend that or going the full hog route in his last post. One is boat owner style, and the other is full on pro. @Glassman , can you just use some epoxy resin available at a good woodworking store or marine dealer without going expensive for a big quantity? I am guessing you can still get a small of West or something for $20-30. At least painting that exposed area with that would be a start like you mention.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Magic, The gelcoat Paste Kit that I linked to is color matched. But @Glassman is suggesting a small spray gun so I assume that he is suggesting the use of real gelcoat which is applied like paint.

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bruce @Julian Gel coat repair.. would this not be Tip / repairs section worthy. Makes it so much easier to find for future reference. Please.

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@bgood188 dude sorry ouch.. good thing is most everything can be fixed. Keep us up on your repairs, please. And as Glassman inquired.. where did you get that cover?.looks nice..

RumDiet

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
+1 what Bruce said - the Spectrum colors match exactly and the gel coat is a bit thick, so it goes on well and does not sag. I usually sand down to 2000 grit and then polish. Its a tiny ding - tape over it until you have time to fix it - fix them all in the fall - go out and have fun - its what boats are all about!

bgood188

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Guys,
Thanks for all the help. I will update with pics once I get around to it. I know a few people asked about the cover. It's the Yamaha Premium cover. I ordered it from Will.Cover3.jpg Cover2.jpg cover1.jpg

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That cover is the schiznit!

I'll check into that. Mine is 11 years old this season

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@bgood... On a different note, looking at your pics and it is hard to tell, but be cautious about pushing your foldable tongue back too far. I cannot tell by the picture if there is enough slack in your brake line to prevent kinking. Mine is a little tight so I do not push it back as far, yours may be ok. Some slack can be added if required. Just a side note for precaution. Really like the boat and cover.

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Magic, The gelcoat Paste Kit that I linked to is color matched. But @Glassman is suggesting a small spray gun so I assume that he is suggesting the use of real gelcoat which is applied like paint.
Gotcha.... SO patch it up then gelcoat over the patch?

( I repair racing catamarans that get too much "Beach Action" and we strip them, glass them if they need it and shoot white gelcoat over the repairs, then sand down 200-->600-->1000 and finish with 3M cutting/polishing goop. Smaller repairs we just use the color matched gel-coat putty and don't even bother to spray gel-coat over it.)

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gotcha.... SO patch it up then gelcoat over the patch?

( I repair racing catamarans that get too much "Beach Action" and we strip them, glass them if they need it and shoot white gelcoat over the repairs, then sand down 200-->600-->1000 and finish with 3M cutting/polishing goop. Smaller repairs we just use the color matched gel-coat putty and don't even bother to spray gel-coat over it.)
(quick hi-jack)

K,
Have you tried a two-part polyurethane instead of all that fuss?

(back to our regularly scheduled post)

Point of clarification.
I put up those links to Spectrum because they are probably the best source for a touch-up kit with factory colors - most of y'all don't have Manuel.

And yes, a tiny airbrush type compressor or even a home compressor is fine for a touch-up application like this.

This particular damage looks* like it could probably be repaired with just that kit from Spectrum OR you could buy one of the generic "Gel Coat Repair Kit" things they sell at West Marine or Boats R Us or whatever, but you'll need to mix to get the shade of red just right. And that's fine if you want to save some $ and can do it and don't really mind the occasional big pain in the ass that might occur as a side effect.

I'm with the fellow boater on the Rumdiet, imagesY68V06R9.jpg put a Band-Aid on it 'til season's over. Go have fun!

er, yeah, I guess the season's just starting.....but the "fun" sentiment still stands. Don't let a little dock bite get you down. Another tip I pass along freely:
Buy Sharpie markers in your boat color(s). I'm lucky - I have a black hull. Tiny scratches show up white and look like yuck. A sharpie does the trick while out and about. Fix 'em later back at the barn.

Last edited:

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
(quick hi-jack)

K,
Have you tried a two-part polyurethane instead of all that fuss?

I'm lucky - I have a black hull. Tiny scratches show up white and look like yuck. A sharpie does the trick while out and about. Fix 'em later back at the barn.
Nope on the polyurethane, but I will look into it.... Needs to be Hobie class legal....

And yes to drawing your scratches away, my fellow black hull Sharpie brother!:winkingthumbsup"

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I suspect a red sharpie would make minor white scratches on the red hull disappear sufficiently as well! You can always fix it where your ready and have a few more, Heaven Forbid!

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had the same thing happen to my SX230 Screw head sticking out of dock put a 1/2 gouge by 6 inches long in upper section of boat. I was sick over it. Took it to a local fiberglass shop and when I went to pick it up it was unbelievable. I have no clue where it was, i looked from every angle and could not find it, that was 4 yrs ago and today still looks great. $200 bucks and worth every penny.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
We end up paying more for those small dings here in Texas...must be the inland thing with less competition and vendors. But for me, it was a bolt protruding through the rub board on the pier, that was supposed to be countersunk. the nut had apparently fallen off the inside and the hex head bolt was protruding out from the rub board. It had been hit a number of times and was bent, but that made it even less apparent. It scratched the hell out of my black gelcoat. I paid $400 for that and a couple other places to get fixed through the dealer when the boat was less than a season old. Heck, it wasn't even summer yet! I think I had them do that at the 10 hour service, can't remember, but I never approached the dock without fenders again...until about the 3rd year.

pagekl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not sure what labor cost generally go for in Ohio, but I would assume you'd pay a few hundred bucks to have it done professionally. I've got two half dollar sized spider cracks on the front of my boat and their quoting $700 (which I'm not paying) for the repair. Worse case I do it myself. Good luck.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Glassman, Spectrum makes the paste kits available inexpensively but they do not sell real gelcoat in small quantities. So for us amateurs we are stuck using the paste for $20 or buying a quart for $130. So I was wondering if auto body paint suppliers might sell small quantities of gelcoat or if there was some source other than Manual. Also would you be willing to write an article on how to repair gelcoat damage for the Member Tips and Ideas section? I am sure than many of us would benefit from in.

@bgood188, my experience with the Spectrum paste is that you can clean out the damaged area with acetone, mix the paste and hardener, use a popsicle stick or something similar to work the paste into the scratch, let it dry for a few days then wet sand and you are unlikely to ever notice it again. Your damaged area appears flat so I believe this will work well for you.

I tried to repair some corner damage to my SX230 with the paste. It worked well but I need to build it up a little bit. It is a curved area and I am having issues with wet sanding through the gelcoat after it dries on the leading edge. I have not found a way to add a smooth even layer with the paste so I need to spray on multiple coats to build it up.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I say if you want to avoid down time, cover it with a Jetboaters.net sticker until the season is finished, then try to tackle it during the off season. If it does not turn out great, you could then take it to a shop.