• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Sitting boat

jimr5454

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Been on the search for a sx230
First question is if it's been sitting for 2 years under cover with fresh oil and plugs as of this spring should I be concerned about anything particular?and what ate the top 5 things to be sure to check.
Speedo and depth gauge do not work

I might pull a spark plug just to make sure it's a true story,
As long as you have a good water test it should be ok,
Also a jetski shop can read the ecu's and tell you fault codes and hours on the engines

Was the fuel stabilized? Plastic scupper? What is the oil level? Trick question on these dry sump motors. How easily do the cleanout plugs go in and out? What do the impellers look like?

Last edited:
Was the fuel stabilized? Plastic scupper? What is the oil level? Trick question on these dry sump motors. How easily do the cleanout plugs go in and out? What do the impellers look like?
I took for a test drive and while talking he made a commant on how well its running on the fuel even after sitting for so long unsure of it was treated but im gueesing not..also tachs both were at 9300 I thought that was good.one engine did overheat I looked and there was no water spitting out the side for that motor .uncloggeded the line.supposedly Mudd bees closed it up.
Going for Second test drive Monday.
It does need a depth finder.guage maybe? and a speedo not sure probably sensor in water.but tachs worked great

If it's a mr1 HO engine it should be turning 10k rpm or close to it (9800 or above)

9300 would be a cause of concern for me

I took for a test drive and while talking he made a commant on how well its running on the fuel even after sitting for so long unsure of it was treated but im gueesing not..also tachs both were at 9300 I thought that was good.one engine did overheat I looked and there was no water spitting out the side for that motor .uncloggeded the line.supposedly Mudd bees closed it up.
Going for Second test drive Monday.
It does need a depth finder.guage maybe? and a speedo not sure probably sensor in water.but tachs worked great
I have to ask. Why would mud bees go into a boat unless there's mud in there? Did you see mud anywhere? If not, something's worse off than just a mud bee "clog".

I have to ask. Why would mud bees go into a boat unless there's mud in there? Did you see mud anywhere? If not, something's worse off than just a mud bee "clog".
Mud daubers will build nests anywhere. It doesn’t mean there is mud in the boat, could be under the boat or have puddles in the vicinity where they get their mud from.

Mud Dobbers had plugged up my pissers on our first run after purchase in Vermont in 2016. No mud to be seen anywhere in the sellers yard, Lol. They had laid eggs/larvae in the pilot/pisser hose and plugged up the thru hull with mud. I used .105" dia. Weed wacker string to clear the plug of litl dobbers. It happens. My MR-1 HO motors ran 10,200+ rpm's at WOT. Some people use golf tees inserted into the holes to keep the bees from getting in there while on land.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the
speedy responses.its awsome to see people taking time to reach out and answer questions.

If it's a mr1 HO engine it should be turning 10k rpm or close to it (9800 or above)

9300 would be a cause of concern for me
Probably silly question ..how do I tell if it's a ho motor ?

Attachments

• 20230715_134353.jpg
    20230715_134353.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 25
What year and model?
My engine covers say "high output"
Some models did have non-ho engines, i don't remember off hand what their rpm top

20230730_123847.jpg

So if it doesn't say high output it's standard but what is the differance?

40hp difference between ho and not.

Also check steering function and resistance on moving levers to forward and reverse. Cables are cheap but some work to replace. You can negotiate the price down if these items need replacement.

I think the 2004 sx230 is a non-ho engine boat,

140 hp per 998 cc engine
vs
ho 160 hp per 1052 cc engine /// edited to correct HP ///

I think both should turn 10k rpm

Last edited:
I think the 2004 sx230 is a non-ho engine boat,

140 hp per 998 cc engine
vs
ho 180 hp per 1052 cc engine

I think both should turn 10k rpm
160hp on the Hight Output, I believe?

Also, on the overheat part of things, I thought that the pissers are more of a "flow indicator", and just them being clogged doesn't actually induce an overheat. I can't think of how a clogged pisser would affect the actual cooling offhand, it should just push that tiny stream of water down into the exhaust instead of out the side of the boat.

As for the speedo and depth finder: you do what you want, but I'd yank the depth finder and install a Xintex fume detector in that hole, then get a decent chart plotter/fish finder and mount that up. That'll get you a good quality transducer coupled with a nice chart plotter that'll display the depth and your location at all times. As for the speedo, I replaced it with a Perfect Pass system, but that has since been discontinued, so you could just use the chart plotter for speed, or fix what you have. It's usually the pitot on the back, or a faulty hose that runs from the pitot up to the dash.

160hp on the Hight Output, I believe?

yes, HP is 160 per engine, I corrected my post,

Also, on the overheat part of things, I thought that the pissers are more of a "flow indicator", and just them being clogged doesn't actually induce an overheat. I can't think of how a clogged pisser would affect the actual cooling offhand, it should just push that tiny stream of water down into the exhaust instead of out the side of the boat.

yes, they are only a visual indicator, you could clamp the hoses off and it wouldn't cause any issue, only push more water through the other exits,

Back