• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ski Safe Insurance now excluding named storm coverage

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I just got an update to my renewal that Ski Safe is dropping hurricane coverage from my policy at renewal. which is in a week. Can anyone in South Florida recommend a company that still has this coverage and wont break the bank? My policy renews next week so need to get going quickly on this.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
State Farm is my insurance for everything else and they are less then Boat.US (Geico) so leaning that direction at the moment unless anyone has better options.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It has been the case for the last 2 years for me in Texas. I dropped them but came back as they are cheaper, but I'm keeping them only for the winter, then will switch back. Need storm coverage for sure in my area.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I just bought a season pass for my son to big bear in Scal. The pass was $650 the two additional insurances premiums for $100 more total covers his for non use of the pass due to injury and closures due to bad weather, I think. My point being that the pass seller/resort may offer coverage if your regular insurance provider does not.
This is in reference of Boat insurance Hurricane Coverage

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've been a proponent of skisafe for years, but they've been going downhill. Constant rate increases, subtly removing your guaranteed value after three years, but still showing on the declarations page (read that carefully if you've had the same value for a long time), and I finally dropped them at the end of last summer when they wanted an extra $300 for being on a lift instead of trailering hundreds of miles a week. Went to Progressive, same price, better coverage.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Another Florida boater here, I too have SF for most of my insurance needs, however they were 2-3 times the premium I pay with Allstate or Progressive (I have the boat and a wave runner). I believe Progressive lets you quote your policy online…

I have never had to file a claim with either. They do offer towing assistance - on and off water, and decent coastal coverage [far more than I would venture offshore]. Progressive also has a “Hurricane tow out” benefit in which if a named story is coming, they will pay 50% of the haul out, to move your vessel out of harms way. Realize that’s generally a non-issue for many of us as JB.net as we trailer, but I though that was a nice benefit if say - you’re traveling out of state/country without your boat, and a Hurricane pops up back home. You could hire a service to move your boat, and not have to foot the entire bill.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Update: It looks like I will be going to State Farm, Progressive was more then double for same coverage. State farm was initially almost double but rate after going over with the agent is about the same as Ski Safe now. She has engines as outboards not inboards which drastically dropped the rate. I will have more coverage with same deductible for all scenarios instead of higher deductible for hurricanes. Only thing not covered was towing and road side assistance for the trailer but I had a separate Boat.us membership for that anyway.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’ve been with Boat U.S. for over 20 years now. They used to be underwritten by Progressive but are underwritten by Geico now. I can’t speak to the premiums because I’ve made and Boat U.S. paid several high dollar claims over the years (e.g. $18k boat theft, $2k Waverunner damage, $3.5k out a hole in the boat’s now, and $2k for the boat recently) which surely increased my costs but Boat U.S has been great. I plan to stay with them as long as I’m on the water or they drop me. They have optional stated value coverage so there is no question of what you get paid in the event of a total loss but double check their depreciation terms and conditions if you buy from them.

Whether hurricanes damage is covered by default I don’t know but I’m all but certain they offer such coverage as optional if it’s not included by default. The last time I tried to sign up for on water and on road side towing coverage I was told I didn’t need to because such coverage is included with my insurance policy. I think I signed up anyway for more towing distance coverage.

i recommend that anyone looking for marine insurance and / or on water or road assistance consider Boat U.S.