• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Skiing behind a Yamaha 242Xe

Geauxalan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hello,

I have a 2019 Yamaha 242Xe and looking for tips on best setup for old-school waterskiing behind it. We’ve tried it with no ballast and a 75’ tow rope, but the water is very choppy in the center of the wakes directly behind the boat. Hoping someone has some tips on use of ballast or different rope lengths to solve or reduce the chop. Thanks in advance.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Could try some center ballast, but I suspect that is the nature of a jetboat. Rider is going to have to get out of the center. @buckbuck may have some thoughts. He’s got some skiers in his family.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’ve skied behind my 212X quite a bit. Much better pull than my 19’ chaparral (which is a V8). But there is more turbulence in the wake than the stern drive. Didn’t bother me but I could see it might be a challenge for a beginner.

I haven’t tried to add some ballast in the center tank but it’s a good idea

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Because thrust is developed at the surface it will always be turbulent as you ski behind the center of the boat. It sort of feels like you skiing on a washboard. I’m afraid there’s no much you can do to prevent that.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I concur with the others. We have not found anything to help.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Yep, nothing you can do. More weight up front will lift the jets and make it frothier, conversely more weight in back will increase the size of the wake. Best way is just evenly distrubuted people and endure the less than optimal water from a less then optimal ski-able boat.