• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Small scratch repair - bow roller scratches

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I did some searching and didn't find much regarding small scratches and the steps needed to repair so I thought I would start a new thread. All of the other posts I found dealt with larger/deeper scratches/gouges that require using a filler (like Spectrum), which isn't my case...

So what are the steps and materials I should do to fix some really fine/small scratches? In my case they are from the OEM bow roller (have since upgraded that to the Stoltz), so they are pretty small and not very deep at all but on a black hull they show pretty well. I will have the boat off the trailer for awhile next week, so was hoping to hit that spot behind the roller and pretty it up again.

P.S. I'll post pics later if that will help, but just looking for some general steps to make this look good again (if possible).

It isn't too easy to get the scratches out @RightStuff . They will take using compound of some kind. I tried a mild compound and it really only glazed up the surface and didn't touch the scratches. I did get yamaha to warranty it and the dealer will fix it. I am guessing it will take a good amount of polishing to get them out, and that may take gelcoat repair on the deeper ones. Let us know what success you have and how you did it!

I was going to work with the dealer on it after seeing you post that you got them to take care of it. But if it was something I could do myself I would give it a shot, mine are pretty minor/small.

On top of that my dealer isn't really that convenient, and the close one (Minnetonka) ships/trailers the boat down a couple hours away for repairs (Red Wing). I don't want to be without a boat during this time of the year, as we only get so many 'boat-able' days in MN!

I did some searching and didn't find much regarding small scratches and the steps needed to repair so I thought I would start a new thread. All of the other posts I found dealt with larger/deeper scratches/gouges that require using a filler (like Spectrum), which isn't my case...

So what are the steps and materials I should do to fix some really fine/small scratches? In my case they are from the OEM bow roller (have since upgraded that to the Stoltz), so they are pretty small and not very deep at all but on a black hull they show pretty well. I will have the boat off the trailer for awhile next week, so was hoping to hit that spot behind the roller and pretty it up again.

P.S. I'll post pics later if that will help, but just looking for some general steps to make this look good again (if possible).

Wet sand w 1500-2000, lots of clean water. Use Meguiar's One Step Compound on really bad scratches, for light ones use their marine polish. Buff to a high gloss, wax. Should take an hour or less.

Back