• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

so uh...I broke something yesterday.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
outch.....! Sorry about your situation, definitely makes a bad day. Did you hit something moving fast or moving slow while maneuvering? Quick call to the dealer to get a price on the bottom plate and rudder would be your cost?

adamsrotors

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
no wake speed thru a random shallow patch we got hung up in.
everything still worked but at around 6k, the boat didn't come to plane and had a high, whinny sound.

anyone have a part number or link to the parts needed?

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Steering Plate, Ride Plate I would look at partspak and iboats for other prices. When you got hung up were you reving the engine or did you get out and push. If you were using the engine I would venture to say you may have ingested rock, sand or other foreign objects into the intake.

adamsrotors

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was deff. on throttle. I powered thru it and got out and continued on.
are you saying that because of my symptoms or from this damage?

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Running these boats in shallow water can be hazardous to the impeller and intake system...even sand, silt, or mud can really wreak havoc...Here is a good THREAD to see what can happen and the repairs that may need to be done.

adamsrotors

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
^ thanks. so my impeller is probably toast too.
that whine and lack of speed, is cavitation?

two things...
1. can running it like this at slow speeds for another day cause any further harm?
2. from the broken parts, what would I experience? steering issues or the symptoms I'm having? (ie: lack of high speed & whine)

adamsrotors

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
also, from those 2 links, I'm not seeing the piece(s) that I had there.
I'm trying to reference old photos from when they were there.

this is a screen grab from a video I had in my phone. the piece looks like one long solid part:
IMG_1124.PNG

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
IMHO the boat should not be run until you get a clearer idea of to what extent the possible damage has caused. I would start by sticking a flash light into the intake grate and doing a quick visual inspection of the impeller and liner, then proceeding with a tear down for my own piece of mind, before she would be put back in the water with other folks aboard, I would suggest pulling the nozzle forward and checking the liner, the impeller, etc. .
Which pieces in the links are you referring to? I will try and help you find them. I don't mean to sound so straight forward I empathise with you and hate that this happened but right now we just need to find the parts and get you back out on the water, safely and without doing further damage to a nice boat.
Here is a LINK to the 2018 service manual for the sections I put in the links. Hope it helps.

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yes that should be part#21 on the Jet Unit#3 link I sent earlier.

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I'm no expert but the pics look to be fine maybe some wear marks in the impeller housing unit and light marks on the one blade of the impeller (at the 4 o'clock position) but from what I can see nothing to serious... :winkingthumbsup" , but I'm sure some of the folks who are far more intimately familiar with impellers will chime in to help also.

adamsrotors

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would look at partspak and iboats for other prices.
good looking! saved me about $200. I'm into like $850 in parts and should able to do this all myself easily...

Wishfull1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would say it would steer about the same at low speed since the Cobra's will be down. On plane, it will probably steer like the older Yamaha's without articulating keel. Luckily you have the Cobra Ultimate? that flip up when you hit something. If you had Viper like it do, you would probably be looking at more damage.

Being that the rudder is located beyond the intake and impeller, I see no reason why if would affect rpm or sound. Take a good look at the impeller and housing, which judging by the pictures you have. Maybe even pull the pump as suggested and investigate.

But...I wouldn't let a ripped off rudder ruin my weekend of fun. Not long ago, they didn't even have a rudder.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If the high whinny sound was immediately after getting out of the channel, perhaps something got hung up then got dislodged? Or did the sound continue till you got back to the dock? If you have the cobra fins, one would question the need to replace the rudder? Well it’s not ideal but certainly an option to free up $850 for something else. One could file the rough edges down and move on. Just make sure to thoroughly inspect the impeller, shaft, housing, cones, etc for any sign of damage. Also, inspect your Cobra Fins making sure they are straight and didn’t get bent or damaged.

adamsrotors

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
it continued. we only stayed out a bit longer. I kept try and at first you wouldn’t notice, but it never really hit plane and the sound was just off and sounded wrong.

anyone have a link to pulling the pump? I believe that’s the only other thing I’m not seeing.

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
LINK for a 2018 SX195, should be the same.

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The pump is easy to pull there are about 8 bolts you’ll need to remove, and if I remember correctly, they can all be done with a 12mm socket.