• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

so uh...I broke something yesterday.

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
^ thanks. so my impeller is probably toast too.
that whine and lack of speed, is cavitation?

two things...
1. can running it like this at slow speeds for another day cause any further harm?
2. from the broken parts, what would I experience? steering issues or the symptoms I'm having? (ie: lack of high speed & whine)
Speaking from experience (12-months with no boat and $4500 in replacement engine and parts) do NOT run the boat at any speeds until you can find out the source of the whining.

My BAD experience

adamsrotors

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
^ same question...

I don't see anything in there. I'll look deeper and see.
I don't totally understand why removing the pump will let me see anything more I can't already tho?

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@AboveTheBest what was the source of whining noise in your situation?
It’s a long read, but the short story is my pump bearings went bad (the whining noise), which caused the shaft to wobble and destroy the crank case.
I had to replace everything in the pump obviously, and then after that I realized the engine was toast. It was a LONG road fixing it myself since insurance didn’t cover it, but the mora of the story is:

Abnormal noises are not good and should be taken seriously. I let my boat make strange noises for a couple of hours after they started and it yielded catastrophic results. There’s not much to our boats, but don’t mess around when the pump starts acting up.

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would pull the cone off and take a look.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
should I upgrade to a RIVA cone while I'm at it?
That depends on how deep your wallet is and other Mods you are planning to do? But you could.
Is it possible the bearings went bad from a slightly bent shaft after sucking up some rocks or other objects before ejecting them? The bent shaft could be further aggravating the bearings? May be It’s a slight bend that is not visible while everything is still assembled?

@AboveTheBest sorry about your experience, makes sense though as one should always investigate and be sure. The alternative could be very costly and aggravating as in your experience. Better safe than sorry.

adamsrotors

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
when I pop off the pump & cone...beyond debris, I still don't exactly understand what I'm looking for regarding the bearing concern.

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
should I upgrade to a RIVA cone while I'm at it?
Absolutely.
It made a huge difference when I put one in my 190. Of course, when I put the cone on I didn’t replace the o-ring which is probably what caused my pump/engine nightmare...

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nope, at least the didn’t when I bought mine. I thought the old O-ring looked ok, but I’m pretty sure it was the culprit.

adamsrotors

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
*UPDATE: I canceled my parts order and think I saved myself ALOT of money.

so I emailed Jeff at CobraJet asking about how important this rudder is, his opinion, etc, and he replied with:

"Very common issue. first remove the piece for the rudder and replace it with a nut. it is a 10mm. then add the new mega fang plus I have for the keel and add a planing surface to your nozzle. it will kick ass"
1589219263743.png

these parts both together, are only $158 shipped!

I'll be doing this and smoothing out the crack with an angle grinder and report back. this should at least solve the broken part issue.
I'm also ordering a cone with all that "saved $" so we'll see!

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
WOW for the record I was never advised of any whining or other issues I was asked about the rudder breaking upon impact and yes that is a common issue with these keel boats but in each case MY steering did not sustain any damage so I am very impressed with that. and I have had people just do away with the rudder on 19 foot boats where they were damaged and just run the Super Ultimate single and mega fangs since I now have mega fangs for the 19 foot boats with rudders. I would be very concerned about noises that occurred after the impact and agree that a close look at the pump etc is in order since a small thing can cause a big issue perhaps there is something lodged in between the impeller bladed and this will definitely cause the symptoms he is experiencing.

adamsrotors

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
^ and noone said your product was addressing the whine Jeff...it's the $900 tab on OEM replacements parts you are helping me avoid.

please send that invoice btw...emailed you back again this AM.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
^ and noone said your product was addressing the whine Jeff...it's the $900 tab on OEM replacements parts you are helping me avoid.

please send that invoice btw...emailed you back again this AM.
I think he was just trying to make it clear to others, he advised about the rudder and not the whine. That's how I read it anyways. This board can snipe you.

adamsrotors

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
well today was a good day...

not only did I wire up my LED trailer lights...I think I solved my problem.

this weekend I took it out for a test run and it was still making the whine/howl at ~6700 rpm
today I go back to install the new Cobra parts and inspect again and find this:

IMG_1265.JPG

now, why I can see it now and didn't before I don't know, but please, everyone think good thoughts!

I also installed the new lower fangs and planing surface:
IMG_1269.JPG
IMG_1268.JPG

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That’s good news!

And you got some CJS fins out of the deal, which are amazing by the way.