• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sold Yamaha 242 Limited-S for Scarab 255 Open

TimBroom

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So I had a 2015 Yamaha 242 Limited S, great boat, used it mostly in lakes or rivers around Gainesville, FL. A few times went down to the gulf around Anna Maria Island. Not a great boat in the gulf, but fine for the temporary purpose. But, fortunate enough to get a place on AMI and I wanted a center console boat that would be flexible and fun for family and kids. Enter the Scarab 255 Open ID.
Went with twin 200, and just about every option, looking to surf and wake some this summer. I never had any issues with my Yamaha, hope to not have issues with the 255 Open, but certainly, have some concerns after reading some of the posts here.
I have a lot more to read about how to care for Scarab Sea Doo's vs Yamaha, and I will put forth the time prior to delivery (which is looking like May), but if anyone has support or advise just chime in.
My dealer is Sky Powersports (or lighting?) in Port Richey, everything seems to be fine, they have been helpful and was good on the price, the transaction was smooth and pressure free, I tend to like to work on my timeline and they allowed me to do that.
I went with the Black/grey with the Cognac interior... the other 255's in those colors on this forum looks great with those colors... but I haven't seen any 255 Open in that color yet.
Good to be back, I hung around when I got the 2015 Yamaha, always good information here when needed.

-Tim

Attachments

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congratulations! That sounds very exciting, post some pictures when you get it, we'd love to hear your comparisons,

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
congrats! very interested in a comparison between the Yamaha 242 and the scarab. that colour combo should look great, I only seen the blue one at the Toronto boat show.

ApelilaRains

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Congrats! WOuld love to hear your feedback in comparison when you get it in!

Boat~R~US

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Congrats, Just ordered mine today. Not the open version thou...

I talked to that dealer also in Port Richey, Very good guy to deal with and knowledgable.

Maintenance is very easy and comparable to the yamaha. I feel better since it;s a closed loop system if you're taking it to salt water conditions.

Scarab has worked out all the bugs on these boats and most what you are hearing or reading is from earlier version models. Not much to improve on the 18's except they sound proofed the engine compartment more.

Don't run dry or long very long when flushing is what I've seen issues with. You'll have carbon seal issues.

How long did they say for delivery? (weeks)

Congrats again

Last edited:

TimBroom

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Suppose to be early to mid May... I will update as soon as delivered, with lots of photos and feedback comparing with the 242 Limited S... Thanks for the support...
-Tim

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Saw one at the Miami boat show back in February...As the others have said, I'm very interested to get your opinion once delivered...

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm going to follow this as well. It will probably be next year before I make any change (if any), but the 255 wake and the 255 cc both have my interest In fact, I spent some time in the center console today at Performance East and I have to say.... It's pretty impressive.

TimBroom

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Delivery pushed a couple weeks back to mid-May, I will certainly update thoughts, experience with pics and videos...
Looking forward to it!

Boat~R~US

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Delivery pushed a couple weeks back to mid-May, I will certainly update thoughts, experience with pics and videos...
Looking forward to it!
So how many weeks have you been waiting since you placed the order?

Im on week 6

TimBroom

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The order was placed 2/27/18, so it has been 8 weeks with another 2 expected...

TimBroom

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Was told new 255 open will be here within 2 weeks... I was checking out youtube this morning and saw my color combo for the first time on an Open version. check it out here:

I will update as soon as I get with lots of videos and review compared to Y 242 LS

-Tim

Boat~R~US

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Looks amazing !! I ordered the same color design but in the 255 wake edition model. I’m looking at 3 more weeks for delivery

TimBroom

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Man that looks cool!

Should I ever venture above a 19ft this is a serious contender for me.

Boat~R~US

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Looks amazing!!! Mine has arrived this week also pick it up next week.

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
The boat looks amazing

TimBroom

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
IMG_0651.jpg IMG_0657.jpg IMG_0659.jpg IMG_0665.jpg
Took delivery of my new 255 Open Friday... (Florida weather sucks this Memorial weekend). Besides a few quick trips in Tampa Bay from Anna Maria Island, I have just been starring at the new beauty on the boat lift.

First impressions:
Driving: Idle and slow speed control is Amazingly more improved than Yamaha 242 Limited S. I feel like I am in absolute control where the Yamaha I was always more anxiously in control, although I would never admit it. The Scarab is MUCH quieter. Speed, although limited for the first 6 hrs or so for break-in is still impressive. Simrad seems impressive, upgraded Touchscreen Command Center seems really slick also.. all of which I need some time in the sun to get the full details.

Storage space is limited, zero storage from the helm to the rear, I will have to figure this out...

A few items regarding quality control, but nothing to worry about right now, dealer said to take pictures of the few snaps and stuff that seem stripped they would handle.

Hopefully, next weekend weather is more appropriate for a full weekend report... We will be heading to Egmont Key... Hopefully.

-Tim

Boat~R~US

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Tim, Awesome to hear you received the delivery and started the break in process. I also had some housekeeping and quality control issues, but nothing too major. I can't wait to get mine in the water, just a few more housekeeping items and fixes. The touchscreen is very slick, trying to figure how to get a go pro hooked to it to utilize the in dash camera.

Love the dock you have very sweet..