• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sold Yamaha 242 Limited-S for Scarab 255 Open

TimBroom

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hi gang.....thanks for all the info regarding the 255 open. I been looking, watching, dreaming, just could not pull trigger over summer. I too have lots of toys for kids but we are phasing out tubing for more cruising, fishing, entertaining. My son and I just drove 3 hrs one way to look at 255s because 2 units are marked down (2018).

Curious though on the tube at stern, I assume you have to have tailgate open since it’s a low point. Does the rope rub the mat, tailgate? Can kids or adults get back on boat without the tailgate ladder?
I have never had any trouble pulling a tube from stern or from the tower. The tuners preferred being pulled from tower because from the lower stern the rope would splash water in their faces often. I know it is not a best practice but if you aren’t going too fast the air they might get is more fun then dangerous.
Enjoy
Tim

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Plenty of storage on the FSH21, and we can boat the extra week as you get the engine replaced. The Scarab 25 looks awesome I was on the one at Cycle Springs, But long term reliability Yamaha has proven it and Scarab has fallen short. If you are getting a new boat every few years I would go with the Scarab it us nice, but I’m keeping it for a while so Yamaha.

Scott Brown

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 Open ID
Boat Length
So I had a 2015 Yamaha 242 Limited S, great boat, used it mostly in lakes or rivers around Gainesville, FL. A few times went down to the gulf around Anna Maria Island. Not a great boat in the gulf, but fine for the temporary purpose. But, fortunate enough to get a place on AMI and I wanted a center console boat that would be flexible and fun for family and kids. Enter the Scarab 255 Open ID.
Went with twin 200, and just about every option, looking to surf and wake some this summer. I never had any issues with my Yamaha, hope to not have issues with the 255 Open, but certainly, have some concerns after reading some of the posts here.
I have a lot more to read about how to care for Scarab Sea Doo's vs Yamaha, and I will put forth the time prior to delivery (which is looking like May), but if anyone has support or advise just chime in.
My dealer is Sky Powersports (or lighting?) in Port Richey, everything seems to be fine, they have been helpful and was good on the price, the transaction was smooth and pressure free, I tend to like to work on my timeline and they allowed me to do that.
I went with the Black/grey with the Cognac interior... the other 255's in those colors on this forum looks great with those colors... but I haven't seen any 255 Open in that color yet.
Good to be back, I hung around when I got the 2015 Yamaha, always good information here when needed.

-Tim
Great minds think alike.
The 255 we purchased has the (2) 300hp engines. Not super excited about that gas bill especially towing tubes and such. Hopefully the economy mode will help.We are in Jacksonville not too far from you.

Boduke

Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So I had a 2015 Yamaha 242 Limited S, great boat, used it mostly in lakes or rivers around Gainesville, FL. A few times went down to the gulf around Anna Maria Island. Not a great boat in the gulf, but fine for the temporary purpose. But, fortunate enough to get a place on AMI and I wanted a center console boat that would be flexible and fun for family and kids. Enter the Scarab 255 Open ID.
Went with twin 200, and just about every option, looking to surf and wake some this summer. I never had any issues with my Yamaha, hope to not have issues with the 255 Open, but certainly, have some concerns after reading some of the posts here.
I have a lot more to read about how to care for Scarab Sea Doo's vs Yamaha, and I will put forth the time prior to delivery (which is looking like May), but if anyone has support or advise just chime in.
My dealer is Sky Powersports (or lighting?) in Port Richey, everything seems to be fine, they have been helpful and was good on the price, the transaction was smooth and pressure free, I tend to like to work on my timeline and they allowed me to do that.
I went with the Black/grey with the Cognac interior... the other 255's in those colors on this forum looks great with those colors... but I haven't seen any 255 Open in that color yet.
Good to be back, I hung around when I got the 2015 Yamaha, always good information here when needed.

-Tim
Hi Tim, I am getting ready to order a 255 Open and would like your advice on the engines. You mentioned you went with the twin 200s. What real world top end do you get with them and how are they for towing? If you had it to do over would you consider the 250s or go straight to the 300s? Thanks in advance for your help.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Hi Tim, I am getting ready to order a 255 Open and would like your advice on the engines. You mentioned you went with the twin 200s. What real world top end do you get with them and how are they for towing? If you had it to do over would you consider the 250s or go straight to the 300s? Thanks in advance for your help.
My advice is to get as much HP as you can afford. The new ACE 300s, from what I heard, are awesome. You'll be happy you did.

Boduke

Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My advice is to get as much HP as you can afford. The new ACE 300s, from what I heard, are awesome. You'll be happy you did.
Thanks Tim! Do you have any pictures of your boat in the water? I am looking at the same color and I have not seen that color scheme floating yet.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Thanks Tim! Do you have any pictures of your boat in the water? I am looking at the same color and I have not seen that color scheme floating yet.
Sorry for the confusion, I'm not Tim. I do have BRP engines and was giving you my $.02.