• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Speedometer keeps jumping from 0 to 60 MPH!

avi8or3117

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello fellow jetboaters

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

I have tried searching the forums about my particular speedometer problem, but none of them address my exact issue. The previous forums talk about the paddle wheel/pitot tube not functioning properly or possible GPS issues. The paddle wheel under my boat spins freely and I don’t have a GPS equipped boat. When my motors are running my speedometer gauge needle bounces from 0 to 60 every 20 second or so. It does this when I’m idle on the trailer and when I’m cruising on the water. To me this sounds like a electrical/sensor issue. Has anyone else had this problem before? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot and fix this issue? My buddy hooked up his computer to see if there were any codes being thrown, but nothing came up. I’ve also read where guys have completely replaced the speedometer with a new GPS one. Is that easy to do? How do you gain access to the area behind the gauges? Any help regarding this issues would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

Zizzou 192

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This happened to us after I moved the speedometer cable around in bow storage compartment and then went over the top of some waves. We put the speedo cable back exactly to where it was originally and problem ended after ignition turned off then on.

I assume your Speedo cable is loose or binding creating the bouncing needles like mine was.