• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sportjet 175 rectifier issues

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Keep blowing rectifiers. The red wire on starter solenoid is discolored at bullet connector. Any ideas? My grounds and connections are tight on battery terminals. The only electrical issues are in the guage cluster the radio has a connection issue. Im at wits end on this.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
show a picture

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ill have to take one after work. I melted one then i put a cdi on and it failed (tach went crazy in about 3 trips) now im determined to figure it out. The starter solonoid red wire female bullet that connects to rectifier is discolored like it got real hot but the male side red is fine and they still have continuity. Other than that my stator ohmed at 600 on blue and 29 on red. .3 on yellows. Grounds are tight everywhere. Only electrical issues are in guages and radio. Lost speedo and radio kicks on off. I didnt think that coukd feed into the solonoid post but idk. My battery is 800 cca marine starter battery.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Electrical issues are a real pain in the butt to track down I always get rid of the old rectifiers and use jet ski voltage regulators in their place , batteries last longer and the charging system works a lot better ,

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Any recommendations on a good replacement for the sportjet 175 xr2?

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Electrical issues are a real pain in the butt to track down I always get rid of the old rectifiers and use jet ski voltage regulators in their place , batteries last longer and the charging system works a lot better ,
I saw a thread where you said a bad rectifier can destroy the brain. Whats a brain? Lol

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If you have 3 yellow field wires, a ground or ground wire and a red hot wire you just get a jet ski voltage regulator and it will have the same 3 field a ground and the red power wire to the battery . rectifiers are just electrolytic capacitors and are bad about allowing way more than 14 volts to the battery regulators don't have that issue and don't over charge the battery and electrical system. also if you have the push pull fuel pumps get rid of them and install 3.5 psi electric fuel pump you may have more than 1 pump don't recall but d the engine will run better and last longer.
I saw a thread where you said a bad rectifier can destroy the brain. Whats a brain? Lol
That was a big issue with the force power heads that had 90 and 120 hp outboard power heads you have a mercury outboard power head but I have not heard of the brains being damaged by a bad rectifier on those. the rectifier allowed AC current from the stator to go directly to the brain when the engine was turned off but the stator was still spinning and it would blow the brain instantly the brain runs the ignition .

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My rectifier has two reds. Two yellows. A gray and a ground. Would the jet ski reg work?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
probably not, you would need to know the purpose of the grey wire my guess is it is for a tack. also the two red wires yellow is for the fields

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks. Yea gray is tach. I think yellows are charge. Idk bout reds

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
red usually goes to the battery but I never dealt with 2 of them so a wiring diagram may be in order

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I got a new question my new rectifier has a ground wire. My other one grounded to the motor itself. Could i mount the new one with a stall pad buffer between the motor and rectifier to insulate it from the heat of block since it has a ground wire? Just use longer bolts with a buffer?