• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Starboard overheat light on. Thoughts needed.

Ajax

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Pulling into slip today and sucked something up into impeller. Big enough to also mess with bucket control.
Due to current and small space I parked it first before clearing.
Open shutting down engines. Heard 3 hissing sounds, maybe 5-15 seconds apart. Sounded like a whale clearing blow hole. It was sound of cold water hitting something hot.
Cleared jam, and went to restart to blow anything small out. That’s when I noticed overheat light was on.

What am I dealing with here?
Any damage?
How do I clear overheat light? Will it go off when cooled down?
What do you think the sound was?

Thanks in advance, you guys are always awesome.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Once engine temperature drops, the overheat warning will clear. I would not start that engine until it is determined what may have caused overheat. Usually, engine will throttle down when it overheats. Report back, please

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The cooling intake is in the jet path. So a big obstruction to the impellers or jet impacts the cooling. If you had not enough water incoming, you may have had water washing in on a hot part, causing your hiss. I agree first let it cool. While waiting, make sure all your debris is cleared.

More than likely when you start up again, whatever was in the way will be gone or shifted enough to get blown out. And then you will have no cooling issue either.

At least most likely. Keep an eye on that overheat light on the way back...

Ajax

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The cooling intake is in the jet path. So a big obstruction to the impellers or jet impacts the cooling. If you had not enough water incoming, you may have had water washing in on a hot part, causing your hiss. I agree first let it cool. While waiting, make sure all your debris is cleared.

More than likely when you start up again, whatever was in the way will be gone or shifted enough to get blown out. And then you will have no cooling issue either.

Thanks.
I cleared the debris but did not have time for engine to cool off and test run. Heading back tomorrow

At least most likely. Keep an eye on that overheat light on the way back...

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If something blocks water from the white cooling block intake inside the jet pump the engine will lose water flow through the internal cooling channels of the block and start to heat up. The overheat warning will eventually sound (longer if at low RPM). At that point the ecu will limit max rpm to prevent damage to the engine from the overheat condition. The sound may have been the residual water still pooled somewhere in the cooling path running through the channels until reaching a hot part like the exhaust. Thinking the combo of changing attitude to just floating Flat in the water when you shut down and the lack of engine noise helped you notice it.

Ajax

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If something blocks water from the white cooling block intake inside the jet pump the engine will lose water flow through the internal cooling channels of the block and start to heat up. The overheat warning will eventually sound (longer if at low RPM). At that point the ecu will limit max rpm to prevent damage to the engine from the overheat condition. The sound may have been the residual water still pooled somewhere in the cooling path running through the channels until reaching a hot part like the exhaust. Thinking the combo of changing attitude to just floating Flat in the water when you shut down and the lack of engine noise helped you notice it.
Thanks for the feedback,
Is it weird that I never heard an alarm? Light just came on.
Maybe I shit it down before it needed to sound?
So probably no further damage or issues?

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No...doesn’t sound like it and you can tell if something isn’t right next time you start it. How long did you let the engine continue to run after the blockage before shutting it down? Also, were you only at low/no wake speeds after noticing the blockage?

Ajax

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No...doesn’t sound like it and you can tell if something isn’t right next time you start it. How long did you let the engine continue to run after the blockage before shutting it down? Also, were you only at low/no wake speeds after noticing the blockage?
Maybe a couple minutes max. Happened right at the slip. All happened at wake speed or below.

Just to be sure, it was the middle light on the tach, that is overheat correct?
Can’t remember what the one on the right of panel is. I know the one on left is check engine.
I know the

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yep. Here is the tach.
6D97C7B5-AE6E-4781-93A8-E59B641B76F3.jpeg

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Low oil pressure (for our boat models/years)
7D4864F7-34E9-4A2B-AA88-F8D45D9CF7F8.jpeg

Last edited:

Ajax

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Went back to boat today. All ran smooth. Warm water coming from both pissers and no overheat alarm. Ran for about 20 mins at varying rpms including WOT.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Another win! Float well...