• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Start Buttons

Wesley Cobb

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The last couple times I have gone out the engines are slow to start meaning all is configured, I push the start buttons (one at a time) and nothing happens. After three or four retries, the engines decide to start. Once the motors start, each subsequent start on the same day, the motors start immediately. I think I may have corrosion on the contacts/connections. Anyone had similar issues? Would electrical contact cleaner work? How difficult is it to disconnect the buttons?

gt5pilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is the motor turning over the first times you are pushing the start button?

Wesley Cobb

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
No. Nothing happens. After about 4 or 5 pushes, something magical occurs and the engines start

Advance

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
No. Nothing happens. After about 4 or 5 pushes, something magical occurs and the engines start
did you figure anything out? I have same issue with starboard only but now won’t start at all.

gt5pilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check the relays and the wiring going to the starter. You sould be able to bypass the relay and directly jump the starter to rule out the starter itself.

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My two cents as it relates to my Yamaha PWC's which have had this same issue from time to time. As stated above if you can bump the starter and it works you can eliminate the starter as the culprit and look at the relay. I think though it was almost always the Starter. They're abused down there in the bowels of the boat. Sometimes loose or corroded cables too.

Some easy advice: get your phone and video down at the bottom of the engine where the starter is. then review it looking for corrosion, wiggles etc.

Good Luck!

Advance

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Check the relays and the wiring going to the starter. You sould be able to bypass the relay and directly jump the starter to rule out the starter itself.
My two cents as it relates to my Yamaha PWC's which have had this same issue from time to time. As stated above if you can bump the starter and it works you can eliminate the starter as the culprit and look at the relay. I think though it was almost always the Starter. They're abused down there in the bowels of the boat. Sometimes loose or corroded cables too.

Some easy advice: get your phone and video down at the bottom of the engine where the starter is. then review it looking for corrosion, wiggles etc.

Good Luck!
Hey there, thanks for the replies. Where are the relays located? How would I bypass it the relay? What does ‘bump the starter’ mean? Sorry guys, you’re explaining yo a novice. I can follow a YouTube tutorial, but don’t know this lingo. I’m sure I can locate the starter and will video it. I’m headed on boat now. I was able to get Starboard on after pressing button around a dozen times. Hopefully starboard will start to take back to lift.

Advance

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Also, I would think this is a common issue regardless of boat or motor manufacture? I will never be able to get local dealer to take a look at this in a reasonable time. Could nearly any marine repair shop take care of this issue?

Wesley Cobb

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
did you figure anything out? I have same issue with starboard only but now won’t start at all.
Haven’t looked at it yet. Busy weekends since this post and the boat is in dry storage on the shelf. I appreciate all the comments. I will check the relays and the cables going to the starter. What gets me is the “it doesn’t work for the first push but does work for the forth.” I know boats are named and treated like females but, I never knew they actually acted like them! Hahaha!!

Advance

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Haven’t looked at it yet. Busy weekends since this post and the boat is in dry storage on the shelf. I appreciate all the comments. I will check the relays and the cables going to the starter. What gets me is the “it doesn’t work for the first push but does work for the forth.” I know boats are named and treated like females but, I never knew they actually acted like them! Hahaha!!
I put boat back in water after not seeing any sign of corrosion. I counted 15 times at ramp and it didn’t start. Then another 10 at full stop. Then the 26th time later after another full stop it fired right up. I’m gonna find a mobile marine repair to take a look. This cannot be a Yamaha jetboat related issue. Push button starting is everywhere now.

JDF1966

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I put boat back in water after not seeing any sign of corrosion. I counted 15 times at ramp and it didn’t start. Then another 10 at full stop. Then the 26th time later after another full stop it fired right up. I’m gonna find a mobile marine repair to take a look. This cannot be a Yamaha jetboat related issue. Push button starting is everywhere now.
Ok I know this sounds nuts but the last time I had this problem it was a starter. I had this problem another time and it was battery related. The reason it took so long was that once the solar trickle charger had enough in it, it would finally start. Did not check the relay. Hope you find it.

dsdf47019

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have some inquiries if it’s not too much trouble 😥😥, guide me about this. These inquiries are displayed underneath here😊😊

https://jetboaters.net/threads/impeller-help-needed-plz.38819/

My question is this can I TRUST ON THIS FORUM MEMBER. please inform ME.

Sitting tight for most appropriate response straightaway. I’m excessively confounded here😱😱