• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Starting Issue, Needs Troubleshooting

Tacolpastor

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey everyone. I've scoured the forums and have troubleshooting quite a bit, but have reached an impasse. Please offer your help.

I have a 2007 SX210. The starboard engine has some interesting starting problems. The problems is related to the starter kicking in, or not. Sometimes you turn the key and it starts exactly like it should (in all situations, hot, cold, sitting for months, sitting for seconds). Sometimes you turn the key and it doesn't start at all but you can hear what i think is the fuel pump and all the clicks and what nots from the motor. Sometimes the 3 dash lights will light up as they should but it acts like the starter is bad (key all the way to the right but no starter). So I replaced the starter and I am still having the same problems. I then replaced the cleanout safety switch; still has same problem.

You can tell it is not any of the safeties because of how it acts (not the rip cord because it will not crank).

Sometimes you have to turn the key 5 or 6 times for the starter to kick in.

Any thoughts? The port engine does not have these same issues and they share the same battery.

Joe

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Does the engine have a starter solenoid? Sometimes it attached to the started motor and sometimes it’s elsewhere.

If you turn the key and hear a click and need to do this several times before the starter engages, it could be a sign the solenoid is bad. Or possibly the wire connections are corroded.

I had exactly this problem on my chaparral stern drive as well as my sea doo sportster. In both cases I changed the solenoid and they worked perfectly.

Tacolpastor

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does the engine have a starter solenoid? Sometimes it attached to the started motor and sometimes it’s elsewhere.

If you turn the key and hear a click and need to do this several times before the starter engages, it could be a sign the solenoid is bad. Or possibly the wire connections are corroded.

I had exactly this problem on my chaparral stern drive as well as my sea doo sportster. In both cases I changed the solenoid and they worked perfectly.
Perhaps there is a separate solenoid. I thought it weird that there is not a solenoid attached to the starter (which is a first for me). I have the VX100 engine. Thank you for the idea; I will look the engine over.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Go on the search info at the top of this page and you will find tons of info on that. I would check the battery ground wire directly to the engine block and even try using a jumper cable from the starter body directly to the ground side of the battery to test it out and try cleaning the ends of all the fuses involved as well as placing a bit more lift on the kill switch post for the lanyard of that engine.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
80%. Certain guess from me is the starter solenoid. It's in your electrical box, follow the red wire to the starter, it will be on the opposite side in an electrical box. Shop manual or YouTube will help.

The solenoid in my case kept getting worse. After replacement it all returned to normal.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
i had random starting issue and it turned out the battery cable connector had a very thin film of corrosion, I never would have thought it was the problem but replaced the connector and the problem went away,

also,
your year model boat, the key switch locking ring can crack allowing the key to rotate but not engage the starter contact, it took me a couple times before I realized I was turning the key but the switch itself was rotating also,

Tacolpastor

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you all for your suggestions. I have checked everything mentioned. Grounds seem good and I cleaned up all the terminals. I found the solenoid and have ordered a replacement. I will report back once I have replaced it.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
To test it just jump it, use a short wire or a pair of needle nose plyers with plastic grips for safety and touch the 2 ends of the plyers to the 2 main leads of the solenoid it then bypasses it and should send power directly to the starter , or use a jumper cable hooked to a positive terminal of the battery and touch the other end to the starter cable bolt again it should turn the starter over

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Jeff’s suggestion is a good one. I’ve used the jumper cable approach. Very easy to do.

Good luck.