• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Steering assist?

No Fins? Cobra Jets? Thrust Vectors?

• Total voters

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I do not see any difference between the effect of the plastic gates over the original ones other than I have no doubt the cost of manufacturing those is considerably less than the metal ones. I can say from experience that in doing sub moves the plastic gates won't take the stress like a metal gate will. I have a broken sea doo 4 tec gate to prove it. haaaa
All kidding aside I do believe the plastic gates will weaken over time after being exposed to the sun while on a lift or a trailer.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

BravoMike

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lastly, @BravoMike , what did you pick for a fat boy ski? I have always skied on HO and recently found one that interested me, but I can't remember at the moment what it was... I go about 190lbs. Interested to know what you are using and your thoughts... my 28 year old HO Extreme just ain't working for me anymore... wait for it:
@cwoav8r I would have given you a "10!" but you did not keep you legs together :D I always skied on O'Brien or Jobe skis. Have not skied on my competition Jobe in a few years. Too much work for this body. Would only last a few minutes once I got up. Anyway, the ski I have now is a Connelly "Shaped" ski. Have not skied on it in a few months and cannot remember the model. It is either the Shortline or Outlaw. Had it for a couple years. Much easier to get up and less work skiing. Stay up twice as long or longer depending on how hard I cut back and forth.

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well folks I have experience with both old style fins. Original Cobra Jet and the Original Thrust Vectors. Here is my take:
CJ- did a great job at low speed maneuvering assistance. Good recovery when driving around tight marinas. At speed they gave a bit of feedback, but nothing major. Spin moves were good.. I thought. Only real negatives. They were fixed position and sharp as hell. Cut hazards...

TV- do a good job at slow speed maneuvering, however your recover in course redirection is not as good. Smaller moves are now the norm. So that difference has been compensated for. At speed these things have no feedback. Of course they are up...spin moves are tight and fast. I didn't know they could get better.. I like the plastic Not being a cut hazard. Piece of mind there.
One major difference I have seen with the TVs is when I'm crossing a wake or series of wakes. They now have very little effect on my direction. They don't thrown the boat around any more..strange but true. With the CJs it was a matter of taking the throw or picking a spot and riding it like a surfer.
All in all two good products. Now with more improvements I cannot speak on, but sound like the designers know of and countered the shortcomings they had.
That said I personally like my Thrust Vectors better.. Just my personal experience.
Steve

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Numbers suggest plenty of boats still without any fins.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
When you say CJ steering , or when comparing it to other steering I think it would give people a more accurate idea if you qualify what CJ steering system you had.
I haven't made the older small steering units for several years.
I get people trading in the older ones for the latest patented steering systems all the time and they say the same thing, these are way more effective etc.
By your description I am certain that you had one of the earlier smaller versions.
Today our Ultimate steering is in a class of it's own compared to our earlier smaller steering systems in many ways not just size but stance , operation, function and versatility.
The reason we change our designs is to make them better, each time.
I have made so many changes over the past decade+, it would be difficult for me to remember all of them.
It's easier to just refer to them as the early systems and the new systems. Easier and more accurate I might add.
Thanks.

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Jeff,
I was pretty sure I was clear on all the above..including that I could not speak of improved models. There are a lot of people that are selling/ buying the earlier offerings. I was addressing those users.
Thanks
Steve

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Jeff,
I was pretty sure I was clear on all the above..including that I could not speak of improved models. There are a lot of people that are selling/ buying the earlier offerings. I was addressing those users.
Thanks
Steve
I got confused too as to whether you were speaking about the old CJs or new. I had to keep reminding myself you meant the minis. I went from minis to ultimates with the same experience. I keep my ultimates locked down so there is feedback throughout the speed range. The difference has been night and day. I can outdrive stern drives in all low speed situations now rather than just turning radius. In fairness, I have had my 2010 since it was new in 2010 so there is probably some experience there too but I just don't get out enough to be that good on my own.

Summers420us

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
What is your experience with the 2016 190/192 series with the Articulating Keel? Is it impossible to steer at low speeds without one of these "fins" added?