• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Steering cable help please

Ubderarock13

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
So my boat is garage kept and has about 50 hours on it. My steering cable has become very rough to turn. I tried taking it to the dealer under warranty and was told it’s corrosion and not a defective part and quoted me $900. I’m thinking of doing this myself and curious how bad of a job is this? I’ve looked at part websites and looks like it’s about $330 for the assembly. Is that the right part? Do I need more then just the steering assembly? I’m referring to part #13 in the picture.

Attachments

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Easy job. eBay or Amazon the part. I think it’s around $115. 900 lol.

Ubderarock13

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
2016 Yamaha 190 fsh.

Ubderarock13

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
f3m-u1470-00-00 Here is the part number. I haven’t been able to cross reference it to anything? How should I go about it? :)

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The cross-referenced Teleflex part numbers are much cheaper if you know the length required. I unfortunately don’t know that for an fsh

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Seems kinda early for the cable to be gone already.. But its pretty simple. . Just go slow and take pics as u take it apart. We replace two on our boat plus two reverse bucket cables last fall. But mine is an 08

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Ubderarock13

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
No not yet. Picking it back up from the dealer Monday. I spoke with the service manager and he said he’d call Yamaha again. Well he then called and said he wouldn’t be able to until Monday due to it being a holiday. I thought ok no problem. Then it hit me.... how did Yamaha say no today in the morning but they’re closed for the holiday on the second call back. I’m calling BS and calling Yamaha Monday to see if they even opened up a claim number.

Boostintt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Did you ever get this fixed? I need to replace the steering cable on my 2016 FSH 19, Canle part number: Seastar Solutions SSC14612. Thanks

darkpints

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'm about to change my steering cable again after about 2 years of light use. This will be the 3rd steering cable on my 2016 190 FSH Sport with about 120 hours on it. Has anyone found an alternative to the Yamaha cable (F3M-U1470-00-00)? It's $330, but most similar cables for other boats are less than half that. I wouldn't mind changing it every year if it was $120.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't have a part number for you but I know on the other boats people can buy the Teleflex cables (which is what Yamaha uses) for much cheaper, you can look in the FAQ for links, not sure if someone has posted the 19' version or you remember what the length was to order from Teleflex,

Boostintt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
I reached out to Dometic marine sales this is what they said:

“SSC14612 is a special Jet boat steering cable built for and sold mainly through Yamaha.

They would be the quickest way to get one or you can Special order one through a Marine retailer of your choice.

Note we are playing catch up at the factory do to being shut down until maybe next week”

This was back in May, I ended up lubricantibg mine and working so far.

darkpints

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I reached out to Dometic marine sales this is what they said:

“SSC14612 is a special Jet boat steering cable built for and sold mainly through Yamaha.

They would be the quickest way to get one or you can Special order one through a Marine retailer of your choice.

Note we are playing catch up at the factory do to being shut down until maybe next week”

This was back in May, I ended up lubricantibg mine and working so far.
Thanks. That's pretty much what I was told the last time I researched this before paying $330 for a cable. I was hoping by now someone would've discovered a more widely available, lower cost replacement.

darkpints

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If u have a part number u may can get with teletec and see what their cable number is
Thanks. Went down that road already. The cable is made by teleflex/seastar/dometic specifically for the FSH and only sold through Yamaha dealers.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
While you wait for the part, try lubricating the cables. disconnect from nozzle and secure larger hose around the cable with hose clamp, keep upright, then fill hose with some light oil, and push in with air pressure (bicycle air pump or little compressor works great) while you actuate the steering. You may be super lucky and have the cable loosen up and get way better.

This is usually a short term fix, but I have gotten years after doing this on steering cables. Best of Luck!