• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Steering loose at high speed.

KevJul2019

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have an SX192 and when I am going 30mph or faster my steering gets pretty loose. Is it supposed to?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Just add the Cobra super ultimate Ak deluxe to the boat and your issues will go away from slow speed to high speed .

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
"loose"
do you mean the steering wheel moves but the boat doesn't react
or
the boat "slides" or doesn't "stick" to the water in turns

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
"loose"
do you mean the steering wheel moves but the boat doesn't react
or
the boat "slides" or doesn't "stick" to the water in turns
I'm guessing the former - I noticed that too, not a lot of water contact with the AK rudder for about 10 degrees port/srtb except the jets. Once you crank it over more the rudder hits the water running under the hull and grabs. I noticed the AK rudder sprays a stream of water up into the air when doing this. And if you want to "slide" through a turn or even spinout, you can still do it, but you need to ease off the throttle, turn sharp, then give it a shot of throttle to slide, and punch it if you want to spin out. Do so at your own risk, as the guests on board generally start screaming at the captain at this point.
:winkingthumbsup"

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
212s Yes very common but I have steering that works at all speeds for both the single and twin engine boats however his boat is a 2015 single so it does not have any keel like you do so his is way worse.
You should look at the super magnum ak-19 deluxe system it will rock your world at all speeds and it ads the second tie rod to your system as well as providing slow speed and high speed steering and plaining surfaces for faster hole shots and a set of special top fins for even more slow speed forward and reverse steering. The system I mentioned is also carefully designed so that it creates a V configuration and does not go below the original keel and rudder. These systems also deal with high speed bleed off in turns and keep you in control during rapid deceleration.

Attachments

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
my 232 is much older, 08 model and there is alot of play. i have the cobra fins but its not that there is nothing to turn against. its just every part of the steering system has just a slight amount of play in it and when you total it all up it adds up to quite a bit. basically from 10 oclock to 2 oclock is nothing and just taking up the play. the helm unit is prob 2/3 of the play and the rest is the cable ends at the helm and bushings in the back at the nozzle. with the fins though, once the slack is taken up and it starts to steer, it responds very well at both low and high speed.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have jet boat fins, which help I am told. Boat had them when I bought it so don’t know how boat handles without them.
well here is the story on your fins they are part time slow speed ONLY the system I told you about the super ultimate AK-deluxe will add full time steering and on your model you can also add the mega fang plus to them, so you have real steering at all speeds without the harsh resistance you now have in the wheel at slow speed nor any fins hanging down below the factory rudder oh and you also get a faster hole shot and a more stable ride in chop with the plaining surface. As well as a cleaner wake for water sport activities. You also get the ability to adjust the high speed effect to meet your needs.

Attachments

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The easy way to see if there is excess play in the helm and cables is to center the wheel , have someone hold the nozzle steady and see how much you can move the wheel before you feel resistance . as for steering response on plane there are only 2 companies that make full time auxiliary steering for the Yamaha jet boats, Yamaha and Cobra Jet Steering. But Cobra jet steering is the only one that makes it for ALL Yamaha jet boat models and offers more features and benefits.

Last edited:

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
212s Yes very common but I have steering that works at all speeds for both the single and twin engine boats however his boat is a 2015 single so it does not have any keel like you do so his is way worse.
Well poop, I missed the model year, so yeah some kind of add-on is a good idea.
My bad.