• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Steering pulling to right

jpaterson5

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hey Folks,
New 210 Sport owner here. As I've been learning more about the boat, I've noticed that steering seems to pull to the right at moderate to higher speeds. I don't notice much when in no-wake mode. Is this typical? Seems odd to me. I was also curious to learn if it may be due to the fact that there is only one linkage bar to the articulating keel? I noticed on some cobra jet steering fin installs, they add an additional one. Thanks in advance for the info.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
haa the first thing you will learn is the nozzles are nearly never aligned perfectly when the boats come from the factory, Using the steering cables is not as accurate as the 2 tie rod system because cables stretch and compress thus changing the position but the tie rods don't so once the correct setting is on them they stay that way When I patented the second tie rod I also patented an interconnecting tie rod , however adding the second one is a lot less costly and easy to use. I also offer the kits by themselves . Cobra MAGNUM AK - Stand-alone tie rod set

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
As Jeff states, nozzle alignment is your starting point.

1) Align your rudder as straight as possible.
2) Take a construction square, put one side against transom area above drain plug, and the other side against the port nozzle, the flip the square, and look at the starboard nozzle. Just using your eye you should be able to tell if one is off.

I will tell you that, especially on plane, these boats are super sensitive to how they're loaded with weight, and could require pressure to one side or the other as you're zipping along. Because there's no I/O leg, vdrive rudder, or outboard lower unit in the water at speed, there's nothing that provides true tracking (even on the new boats with the "articulating keel") that will counteract what weight does to the jet thrust on the port-stbd axis.

But - your chances of striking an underwater object at 50mph with that tracking device is also eliminated. :)

jpaterson5

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks Fellas,
I will check out the alignment this weekend. Great suggestions.
@Jeff - I'll also look into the supplementary tie rod - especially as the the boat has a little more hours on it. Seems like that will be great as mitigation against further mal-alignment. Appreciate your input! Have a great 4th!