• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Steering question.....?

cameron.sprinkle

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
i know, I know, another steering question.

Searched and never really found the answer I was looking for.

Why does the Yamaha 212ls at no wake speed always want to go starboard when you let go of the wheel? It doesn’t yank over but will just start turning the wheel to the right. Is there anyway to fix it besides the cobra fin set up? I have Thrust Vectors on it now.

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
i know, I know, another steering question.

Searched and never really found the answer I was looking for.

Why does the Yamaha 212ls at no wake speed always want to go starboard when you let go of the wheel? It doesn’t yank over but will just start turning the wheel to the right. Is there anyway to fix it besides the cobra fin set up? I have Thrust Vectors on it now.
Maybe there's more weight on that side of the boat?

cameron.sprinkle

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Maybe there's more weight on that side of the boat?
At times yes, but I evened out the weight 2 or 3 times and it still wanted start turning to the right. Not that big of a deal, just curious.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You may just need to adjust your steering cable adjustment back at the jet nozzle.

cameron.sprinkle

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You may just need to adjust your steering cable adjustment back at the jet nozzle.
I have found the section on FAQ's and How too's. I have read somewhere on here that you adjust them slightly toed in.... straight inline with each other..... so which one is it? Toed or straight? Is it personal preference? Probably is in the manual and its in the boat with the cover on right now.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It could be a number of things one pump pushing harder will make the boat drift to one side , nozzle alignment is possible. I would use a straight edge across the nozzle openings with the wheel centered and see if the straight edge touches all 4 of the sides of the nozzles at the same time without pushing on it. then you can see if those are even also the nozzle and rudder may not be adjusted square and just a slight misalignment can cause that.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would make sure they are in alignment using a straight edge as a reference. I believe there is a process either in FAQs or possibly by one of our members.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My guess is one of your pumps just produces a bit more thrust than the other at that speed. It wouldn’t take much of a difference to make that happen. I know my SX210 would immediately start going in circles if I ever let go of the wheel at idle speeds.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I thought this was by design. "Self circle" is what it's called I believe. It's a safety feature so the boat does not just continue on if someone has lost the ability to steer the boat. Is that not true?

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I highly doubt it is an intentional design feature. Possible that they have spun it (pardon the pun) that way, though. Kind of like planes having a “self ditching” feature if the pilot stops controlling the plane...

cameron.sprinkle

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It could be a number of things one pump pushing harder will make the boat drift to one side , nozzle alignment is possible. I would use a straight edge across the nozzle openings with the wheel centered and see if the straight edge touches all 4 of the sides of the nozzles at the same time without pushing on it. then you can see if those are even also the nozzle and rudder may not be adjusted square and just a slight misalignment can cause that.
I will look at it tomorrow. Have you heard of them being toed in on purpose? Thanks for all the responses.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
No that was years ago on p w c standups so when the operator fell off it would come back to him , bad idea though and they don't even do that on standups anymore they use a lanyard to shut the ski off.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No that was years ago on p w c standups so when the operator fell off it would come back to him , bad idea though and they don't even do that on standups anymore they use a lanyard to shut the ski off.
Huh!
My bad, I thought @Scottie and @OrangeTJ were joking...

--

cameron.sprinkle

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC I took a straight edge and checked my nozzles. All 4 corners were touching. I did step back and noticed that my articulating keel was not straight with my nozzles. Took some measurements and found that it was off by about 1/8" to 1/4" to the starboard. I corrected the keel. I did get to take it to the lake today after I finished all the work I was doing to it. That keel adjustment did help a lot. The steering seemed less likely to turn starboard, but it also seemed to help straight line tracking at higher speeds. Not sure if the keel was fighting me trying to go straight and it wanted to take me slightly right. I did have a little bit on tightness turning to the left, but that seems to have gone away now.

On a different note. Does your steering system help keep the boat from what I call wave walking when in heavy wake? Really got to steer the boat out of or through the wake pretty aggressively if in some bigger wake.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yes I have been finding very often that the tie rod adjustments between the nozzle and the rudder are not adjusted correctly and yes that will cause issues with the tracking, high speed pull also.
Cobra steering will make the boat handle so much better in all modes even if you go wide open and pull the throttle back the boat will steer. Also with the mega fang plus it will even do an S turn off power and the speed bleed off in turns is also reportedly greatly reduced. Remember you are fighting a big huge keel down the center of your boat. that keel makes the boat resist steering even with the rudder, half of that is out of the water at planning speeds. high speed turns are boring and lethargic in comparison to the steering system and the mega fang + setup the bow wander is greatly decreased also. I have one person with a 24 foot boat that just installed his magnum ak and the mega fang plus he has called me and relayed his take on the improvements in the boats handling. I am eagerly waiting for his write up.

cameron.sprinkle

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes I have been finding very often that the tie rod adjustments between the nozzle and the rudder are not adjusted correctly and yes that will cause issues with the tracking, high speed pull also.
Cobra steering will make the boat handle so much better in all modes even if you go wide open and pull the throttle back the boat will steer. Also with the mega fang plus it will even do an S turn off power and the speed bleed off in turns is also reportedly greatly reduced. Remember you are fighting a big huge keel down the center of your boat. that keel makes the boat resist steering even with the rudder, half of that is out of the water at planning speeds. high speed turns are boring and lethargic in comparison to the steering system and the mega fang + setup the bow wander is greatly decreased also. I have one person with a 24 foot boat that just installed his magnum ak and the mega fang plus he has called me and relayed his take on the improvements in the boats handling. I am eagerly waiting for his write up.
I think I pulled the trigger on the TV's and Lateral thrusters from JPB a little to quick. Not that the TV's haven't done their job, they have. Haven't received the lateral thrusters yet, back order for parts. They say the lateral thrusters are great for backing, but I like the idea of better handling in heavy/big wake and a more responsive steering system. I can learn to back the boat with practice. I may try to call them Monday. If they have not shipped yet, I may cancel my order.

I read somewhere you posted that you have a trade in program? Which set up is your best set up for the 2018 keel boats?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I do not have a current trade program but they have a 60 day return policy that they say if I recall correctly you can send back your parts for either a refund or store credit so look at that.
As for reverse steering, with my mega fang plus, you will have plenty of reverse steering and more reverse thrust to handle current waves and wind along with better stopping ability than you now have.
And if you learn the throttle stagger maneuver you can rotate your boat in place or move the back sideways with my system because it increases the reverse handling but honestly you can take your boat out now and do the throttle stagger move and get the boat to rotate in place or move the back sideways with no reverse enhancements at all.. That is just the benefit of twin engines with separate throttle controls.

cameron.sprinkle

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I do not have a current trade program but they have a 60 day return policy that they say if I recall correctly you can send back your parts for either a refund or store credit so look at that.
As for reverse steering, with my mega fang plus, you will have plenty of reverse steering and more reverse thrust to handle current waves and wind along with better stopping ability than you now have.
And if you learn the throttle stagger maneuver you can rotate your boat in place or move the back sideways with my system because it increases the reverse handling but honestly you can take your boat out now and do the throttle stagger move and get the boat to rotate in place or move the back sideways with no reverse enhancements at all.. That is just the benefit of twin engines with separate throttle controls.
I will email them and see. If all things workout. Which system do I need to get to have the ultimate performance package from Cobra Jet Steering?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
That is your call on the choice between the magnum ak and the ultimate ak either will work at all speeds in rough conditions and make a big difference especially if you add the mega fang plus system the total for those two would be 544 but if you go with the ultimate ak and mega fangs + it is 100 more so that is up to you. I honestly believe either will make you happy.