• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Steering, what you can’t do with add on’s.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So after you buy your jet boat, and start reading this form continuously. Are you suddenly realize that you need stuff, stuff to make your boat perform better, even though it will work perfectly fine as it came from the factory you want to improve it. I did this too with steering, there is a huge debate about cobra jet steering and Jetboat pilots steering. Both will improve your steering going forward. Jet Boat Pilot has lateral thrusters for reverse turning, cobra has mega fangs. You can read into all your eyeballs fall out about both of them on here, you can obviously use the lateral thrusters if you have Jet Boat Pilot’s steering system. If you have cobra steering system you can also use lateral thrusters. If you have cobras fangs that help with the reverse steering then you cannot install the lateral thrusters. The reason I am posting this is because I had the cobra steering system with the fangs and I tried to add the lateral thrusters, They do not work if you have the fangs installed with the cobra system. They just don’t fit. The lateral thrusters push your boat directly sideways but you give up 30% of your reverse to get this affect. The fangs Make the boat act like a normal prop lower unit would. If anyone wants a set of lateral thrusters for a FSH210 never used but they are painted black let me know $250 freight included delivered to your door.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I thought I read that Fangs can be used. You just have to angle them down a bit more, which requires you to drill another hole in the fin (rotate fang on one hole then drill new 2nd hole to secure). I know I’ve seen that pic, but I doubt I’ll ever find that thread. Does that look doable??

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I thought I read that Fangs can be used. You just have to angle them down a bit more, which requires you to drill another hole in the fin (rotate fang on one hole then drill new 2nd hole to secure). I know I’ve seen that pic, but I doubt I’ll ever find that thread. Does that look doable??
I'd like to see that... was looking at the fangs the other day and have to admit the fangs do get in the way of the thrust on my 2019 210 FSH. Enough that it looks to cancel any lateral thrust per se.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I did not see a way to make it work with the fangs. The thrusters did not fit in between the baseplate that held the fangs. Also I would have had to chop out a major portion of the outside fang on both side. The boat handles like a outboard boat with the Cobra steering and the mega fangs so I am just leaving well enough alone.

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
On my twin engine Yamaha jet boat I went with the largest current cobra fins on the market today and replaced my original fangs with thrust diverters designed for single engine boats (so both thrust diverters divert water port and starboard). Before doing this I read a lot of posts here and saw a lot of pics reflecting what others have done. Some have installed cobras with twin engine diverters and a single fang (original or mega) on each pump installed close to the center line so it doesn’t block the output of the diverter. i recall that to so this only takes a longer bolt and possibly a few more washers/spacers. Other have installed both diverters and fangs by either modifying the fans so that they are mounted lower/beneath the diverters output port and/or are attached to the cobra fins.

I’m no engineer and have no desire to get into the jet boat accessories business but I think the shape of the cobra fins could be redesigned so that the fangs are built into them. As currently designed the fangs are always in the water. If the fangs are integrated into the cobra fins they would only always be in the water if the fins are set that way. I’m guessing Jeff at @Cobra Jet Steering LLC does not integrate the fangs into the fins because doing so would put a lot more stress on the sides of the steering nozzles where the fins are mounted especially in high speed turns with the fins down as opposed to the current set up with the fangs being mounted independently from the fins on a base plate attached to the bolt that the steering nozzle pivots on.

So far I’m on the fence about my current set up (cobras with single engine diverters). Do the diverters help? Probably but it’s hard to tell since they only work in reverse and I don’t do much of that. I had the original fangs for at least a season and I did notice low speed steering response improvements with them in forward and reverse. I also think the diverters would be much more efficient at diverting water flow if they were taller (the single engine diverters are about half the height of the twin engine models). If I do anything else to my current set up it would be to ditch the diverters (I mean sell them for 1/2 what they cost me) and replace them with mega fangs. I kept all of the original fang hardware with this possibility in mind.

Last edited:

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Ok I have the Mega fangs and they work great that is y I left it. That is y the lateral thrusters don’t fit at all.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Just want to say that there are numerous types of fangs and mega fangs ,for a variety of applications.
As for my systems being compatible with lateral thrusters in the case above yes you can add lateral thrusters to a set of Magnum or super magnum AK steering or you can add A K fangs OR you can add mega fang plus systems but obviously you can not add lateral thrusters to the mega fang plus system like @Liveto99 tried to do. If you are ever in doubt just ask I see a lot of information being posted by well meaning members but To be sure just ask me.
In @Ronnie s case, I believe he has the early ultimate steering from a few years back with the original fangs I always look to make newer versions and the fangs he has were replaced with the current mega fang plus set quite some time ago actually.
As to his question about the fangs and fins being one piece.
Incorporating the fang as part of the fin was included in my last patent but I do not have any plans of offering them I like being able to add or subtract , the current design has more features and benefits . The only system with fangs built in is the Viper. Also I discontinued all the regular Ultimate systems and magnum systems , replacing those with the SUPER systems to add even more slow speed forward and reverse steering to the mix without adding any resistance at speed since the majority of this fin is located up out of the water when the boat is on plane simply because the boat sits higher on plane can't get any more reliable and predictable that that. As for the super fins I also made those available stand alone so any one with the smaller earlier fins can upgrade just the fins.
Super Steering Fins for Existing Cobra Jet Steering
As for the new nozzles in 2019 with a slight downward angle and a twin 45 degree angle I am hearing this is reducing the useable reverse direction and force of the thrust and since those boats are not compatible with my mega fang plus upgrade I do have A K fangs that mount on the outer fins of the Magnum and Super magnum ak-19 systems, these can be set at 2 different positions and the system fins can be set forward or rearward , changing this location will require the AK fangs to also be repositioned from one position to the other as well.
Now since the new nozzles shoot water to both sides at the same time creating a semi lateral and semi reverse force from both sides of each nozzle and since my A K fangs mount on only one side I am redirecting some of the outer thrust forward to help with the lack of reverse push caused by the redirection of the reverse thrust with those new nozzles.
I have some more tricks up my sleeve so stay tuned . To be announced remember it's off season and I don't need to rush things.
Also keep in mind the E series boats limit the reverse thrust where the regular boats can just give it more throttle.
Also remember the steering resistance canceling effect of the fangs incorporated into that patented system.
As far as the fangs being in the water all the time that is how they work to reduce the resistance in the steering any part forward of the pivot point of the nozzle making contact with the water cancels out resistance from the fins in the water behind the pivot point .
Interestingly I noticed even Yamaha has a similarly operating feature on their 19 foot models with the rudders.

I always make my contact information available so don't guess just ask

Attachments

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd like to see that... was looking at the fangs the other day and have to admit the fangs do get in the way of the thrust on my 2019 210 FSH. Enough that it looks to cancel any lateral thrust per se.
I had to go back to the original fangs from the mega fangs to make it work. D68D5A31-0A27-41E0-B8A0-1ABEC703F87E.jpeg

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
He has a completely different nozzle setup as I explained and the lateral thrusters are not compatible with his style of nozzle nor is the mega fang plus just the A K fangs as I explained previously. The big difference is his new nozzles are not right turn they are more like 45 degrees plus a downward angle and they shoot out from both sides of the nozzle .

As for your style yes you can do it that way as depicted or set the fins back further there are 4 different settings on your early style A K system.

look at the new style AK-19 fins set angled forward they can also be set to the other bottom adjustment hole to lean them back. This is the system he has.

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
:thumbsup: I guess was looking at too much at once and missed the difference we have in models.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
No problem it's all good, it gets confusing after a while, that is why I have my email and phone number available.

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
If anyone has tried to contact you, they know your commitment to customer service is second to none.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I Powdercoated them I think it looks better and will resist corrosion better.

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Are you missing a screw on the fangs? Or is it from the inside and tapped. I don't remember how my install went. Forget more and more these days... like the powder coat. Looks more OE.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Remember he has a different set than you have !!! 2018 model nozzles VS 2019 models . Also it is the earlier fin style not the newer super fin set And he has the mega fangs you have the A K fangs also very different versions.

Attachments

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Wow, ok... didn't realize they were that different. Then again it's not like I've any experience with these other than the model I have. Thanks for once again shedding light on this.