• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Steering Wheel Play

kaylix

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
I have some play in my steering wheel, but it is frustrating. Is the control box under the helm serviceable ?
IMG_20201011_144546.jpg

mrcid

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
You can tighten up some of the screws in the linkage. Is there too much play in the wheel? (steering wheel moves, but does not move the cable)

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

kaylix

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
There is about 5 degrees of play before the diverter moves. So when I'm cruising I'm constantly moving the wheel to keep tracking in a straight line.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce do you have any magic tricks up your sleeves ?

mrcid

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Sounds like there is excessive play within the gears in the steering box. I had to replace my entire steering box a few years ago because the gears broke. In the new box I got, I still have a little bit of "freeplay" in the steering. Not sure if the steering box I got was top of the line, but the gears on it don't mesh 100%. There's still some play. I took it apart and noticed there is a spring washer behind one of the gears and it wasn't pushing the gear into the other gear hard enough to create a full mesh of the gears. There was some spring play, which causes the "freeplay". Anyhow................ I ended up stacking a flat washer behind the spring washer and I get a little bit better meshing of the gears and not as much "freeplay" in the steering wheel.

Hope this wasn't too confusing.

Personally, I think the ones they use on these SS boats are about as low grade and cheap as they get.

I summary: I believe the sloppiness in the steering comes from the two gears in the steering box just don't mesh up tight enough.

This is the type of system that they use: http://turbojetmarineproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Tele-Flex-Marine-JBS-Jet-boat-steering-system.pdf

(I'm trying to find a diagram of the gearing inside the box, but no luck)

kaylix

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
Not confusing, I understand what you're describing.
Every boat I've owned has had this play issue. You'd think they would use really high quality tight parts for a primary system.
It sounds like I can open the box and have a look.

mrcid

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Be careful. Taking the box apart is simple. Putting it back together while it's still mounted can be tricky because of the washers needing to be held in place. I used some lithium grease to hold the washers in place.

kaylix

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
@mrcid Where are you located? Have you winterized yet?

mrcid

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
I'm a just north of Houston near Lake Houston. Have not winterized, yet. Still got a few weeks of boating/fishing left. Then I'll winterize............. to some degree. We really don't have winters here.