• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Steps to Flush Engines? Can you offer some help, please?

Fish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi Fellow Boaters!

I've looked around the forum and don't quite see the info I'm looking for and need some help from the experienced here, please!

I'm going to pull my 2017 242 LTD S out of storage and take it out for the first time at the end of this week (obviously, super excited!). The lake has a mandatory decontamination before launching and will flush out the engines at their station.
I'm unfamiliar with the flushing steps. I've read many threads and learned "engines on, water on / water off, engines off', but not sure of exactly what to do, and if each engine gets flushed separately or are they both flushed and running at the same time, etc.

Adapter: From one of the threads, I purchased the adapter from Amazon (pic attached) since I didn't get one from the previous owner.

QUESTIONS:
>>
Do I have the right flush adapter for my 2017 242?

>> Is there a TWO inserts/ports to plug in the hose adapter (one for each engine) or is the just ONE insert/port that I've seen on the port side on the boat by the back seat? (My boat is in storage and can't check it)

>> Do you flush one engine at a time or both?

>> What is the step-by-step procedure to flush the engines?

>> Is there a "how to" video?

THANKS in advance for the help! The folks here are very generous with their time and sharing their knowledge and I appreciate that!

Attachments

\\\Wolverine///

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You will have two ports with black covers on them.
Where they are varied by model and year.
In my 2016 242 Limited S E-Series they are inside the boat near the transom on each side just above the seat cushions (Yamaha could have put them an inch higher damnit... Cushions get in way.)

Best thing is to put a ball valve cut off between the hose and your adapter so you can control the water from in the boat and not have to go to the spigot.

Unscrew the cap from the port on the boat.
Plug into one side with the adapter. It pushes in at a particular orientation and then twists a bit to lock it in ( I always do port first then starboard just to be in a muscle memory type situation so it is done the same every time and doesn't get skipped... OCD military training)
Start engine (same side you plugged into!)
Open ball valve to supply water to engine.
Run engine, I usually click no wake mode to the first setting.

During this time I usually like to check my bucket operation kneeling down in the swim deck and taking a peak by going into TDE forward and checking the position of the bucket, then TDE reverse, then neutral, then check articulated keel (rudder) for proper steering. With the E-Series you can't check the buckets operation without it running.

It may stream water from the pissers, it may not. Mine always does. It will definitely stream from the water return near the jet nozzles and from the intake screen inside them as well as the exhaust.

When you are happy with the flush, I usually do about 5 minutes, turn off the ball valve to the water so it is now off.
Rev engine up a few times to blow water out of cooling passages and exhaust, cut off engine.
Remove hose, replace cap.
Repeat on other side.

Good luck!

Fish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You will have two ports with black covers on them.
Where they are varied by model and year.
In my 2016 242 Limited S E-Series they are inside the boat near the transom on each side just above the seat cushions (Yamaha could have put them an inch higher damnit... Cushions get in way.)

Best thing is to put a ball valve cut off between the hose and your adapter so you can control the water from in the boat and not have to go to the spigot.

Unscrew the cap from the port on the boat.
Plug into one side with the adapter. It pushes in at a particular orientation and then twists a bit to lock it in ( I always do port first then starboard just to be in a muscle memory type situation so it is done the same every time and doesn't get skipped... OCD military training)
Start engine (same side you plugged into!)
Open ball valve to supply water to engine.
Run engine, I usually click no wake mode to the first setting.

During this time I usually like to check my bucket operation kneeling down in the swim deck and taking a peak by going into TDE forward and checking the position of the bucket, then TDE reverse, then neutral, then check articulated keel (rudder) for proper steering. With the E-Series you can't check the buckets operation without it running.

It may stream water from the pissers, it may not. Mine always does. It will definitely stream from the water return near the jet nozzles and from the intake screen inside them as well as the exhaust.

When you are happy with the flush, I usually do about 5 minutes, turn off the ball valve to the water so it is now off.
Rev engine up a few times to blow water out of cooling passages and exhaust, cut off engine.
Remove hose, replace cap.
Repeat on other side.

Good luck!
Hi @ \\\Wolverine///. Thank you so much for responding to sharing your advice and experience!

I have two quick questions:
1) What does "TDE" mean? I think you mean putting the shifters in forward, then reverse and checking the bucket?
2) Also, what am I checking the buckets for?

Thanks again for being so generous with your time and passing on your knowledge!

- Fish

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have a question about the need for decontamination. Are they looking for anti freeze, or something in particular? Your boat may not need to go through that process.(?)

\\\Wolverine///

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hi @ \\\Wolverine///. Thank you so much for responding to sharing your advice and experience!

I have two quick questions:
1) What does "TDE" mean? I think you mean putting the shifters in forward, then reverse and checking the bucket?
2) Also, what am I checking the buckets for?

Thanks again for being so generous with your time and passing on your knowledge!

- Fish
@Fish
TDE on my boat is the Thrust Directional Enhancer, it is the first detent in the throttle past neutral. Basically the first "gear" (there are no actual gears) that provides steering control at no wake RPM.
I'm checking to make sure on forward the bucket rotates up, in reverse it rotates down to cover the jet nozzle, and then in neutral it partially covers it. See the attached from the manual for mine with illustrations on what you are looking for.

Screenshot_20200504-070504_Drive.jpg

\\\Wolverine///

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Fish
Also here is straight from my manual on flushing

Screenshot_20200504-071201_Drive.jpg

Also, if the purpose is just to flush out any organisms from the lake and rinse the boat off so that no animals, plants, etc transfer from one lake to another, you probably don't need to run the engines as long to flush. I boat in saltwater so I flush after every recovery.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a question. What if I don't get water flowing out of the side pisser? When I hooked up the hose and turned it on nothing came out the side, I got nervous and turned it off after a minute. This a new used boat to me and wanted to change the oil and wanted to warm up the engine for 5 minutes. I have a 2018 sx190. Thanks George

\\\Wolverine///

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have a question. What if I don't get water flowing out of the side pisser? When I hooked up the hose and turned it on nothing came out the side, I got nervous and turned it off after a minute. This a new used boat to me and wanted to change the oil and wanted to warm up the engine for 5 minutes. I have a 2018 sx190. Thanks George
@George Dunnington
If you have low water pressure you may not see water coming out the pisser. You may not even see it when at an idle floating on the water.
You should definitely see it coming out of the outlet and inlet on the jet nozzle though. The pisser is just a hose tapping some water from the system to give you a visual indicator that the system is circulating water through it.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok great so I can go ahead and run it for 5 mins to warm up the engine oil, should i increase the water pressure on the hose
Thanks

\\\Wolverine///

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ok great so I can go ahead and run it for 5 mins to warm up the engine oil, should i increase the water pressure on the hose
Thanks
@George Dunnington
Should be fine.
If you have more pressure available, crank it up.
If you have any warning lights or buzzers come on for possible overheat, kill the water, kill the engine, troubleshoot

Fish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a question about the need for decontamination. Are they looking for anti freeze, or something in particular? Your boat may not need to go through that process.(?)
They told me they flush hot water to make sure it's clear of the zebra muscles, and other items that can harm the lakes eco system. I can see where it could be an issues if I were boating in other lakes recently, but it's been in storage and not used since late Oct when the previous owner had it.

By the way, is the flush adapter I have pictured in the first post correct?

THANKS for your help!

Fish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Fish
TDE on my boat is the Thrust Directional Enhancer, it is the first detent in the throttle past neutral. Basically the first "gear" (there are no actual gears) that provides steering control at no wake RPM.
I'm checking to make sure on forward the bucket rotates up, in reverse it rotates down to cover the jet nozzle, and then in neutral it partially covers it. See the attached from the manual for mine with illustrations on what you are looking for.

View attachment 117798
@\\\Wolverine///
Thanks for the explanation and taking the time to post the pic of the manual!

\\\Wolverine///

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
They told me they flush hot water to make sure it's clear of the zebra muscles, and other items that can harm the lakes eco system. I can see where it could be an issues if I were boating in other lakes recently, but it's been in storage and not used since late Oct when the previous owner had it.

By the way, is the flush adapter I have pictured in the first post correct?

THANKS for your help!
@Fish Figured it was for something like that. Just follow the steps to start engine, THEN water on, water off, engine off and you'll be safe

The hose adapter you got will work just fine. Just might want to add in the ball valve to control the flow yourself, something like this. Between your adapter and the garden hose
20200504_195650.jpg
Go out to the boat with your adapter and find the flush port and see how it fits in there so you know on the big day.
Good luck!

Fish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Fish Figured it was for something like that. Just follow the steps to start engine, THEN water on, water off, engine off and you'll be safe

The hose adapter you got will work just fine. Just might want to add in the ball valve to control the flow yourself, something like this. Between your adapter and the garden hose
View attachment 117859
Go out to the boat with your adapter and find the flush port and see how it fits in there so you know on the big day.
Good luck!
@\\\Wolverine/// Thanks again for the info. Defiantly getting the ball valve turn on/off!
I put the adapter in the boat before going to storage...but I did plug it in to see if it fit when I got it (which it seemed to) but never actually tried it with flushing the engines. I did read on Amazon that the hose worked for people with 2015 - 2019 model 212s 242s so I feel good about that it should actually work.
Again, I really appreciate the info if just to confirm there's two flush inserts/ports - one for each engine- since I only saw the one inserts/port but and didn't think to look for the second one on the other side of the boat.
Guys like you that take time to share your knowledge are what makes this forum so great!

Fish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@\\\Wolverine///
Got the boat decontaminated and everything worked out (except I couldn't start the boat at the station and had to trouble shoot with jumping it first, and finally checked and replace the fuses in the engine compartment... while others were waiting behind me - that was a whole scene in itself!)
Thanks again \\\Wolverine/// for your help and advice!

\\\Wolverine///

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
No problem @Fish
Glad at least the flushing went well despite some ramp drama. I always precheck everything like drain plug, cleanout ports, ropes/fenders in place, etc before leaving home, including starting engines and letting them run a few seconds (no hose needed if not going to run long) just to make sure I identify any issues before launch
Have fun out there and be safe

Fish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No problem @Fish
Glad at least the flushing went well despite some ramp drama. I always precheck everything like drain plug, cleanout ports, ropes/fenders in place, etc before leaving home, including starting engines and letting them run a few seconds (no hose needed if not going to run long) just to make sure I identify any issues before launch
Have fun out there and be safe
The engines didn't start in the driveway but went down there anyway and had the guys at the marina give me a jump. Obviously wasn't the batteries when we tried to jump it and knew then (after going over all the other check lists for not starting) from reading though the forums here that it could be the fuses. The forum (and members like you) have helped me a GREAT deal to get the boat going, what to look for, what to do, etc.
Thanks again!

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For you salt water guys, how the hell are you flushing with salt away? I got the saltaway hose mixer thing and put the flush connector on it but the location of the flush ports sucks. I feel like I’m going to rip the ports out of the hull or rip the seats. I remember the dealer mentioning they make longer adapters, do these boats use the same adapter as jet skis? Everything I found online says “waverunner flush adapter”.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
For you salt water guys, how the hell are you flushing with salt away? I got the saltaway hose mixer thing and put the flush connector on it but the location of the flush ports sucks. I feel like I’m going to rip the ports out of the hull or rip the seats. I remember the dealer mentioning they make longer adapters, do these boats use the same adapter as jet skis? Everything I found online says “waverunner flush adapter”.
Are you putting a smaller hose (Like a two foot section of hose) on the salt away container and the flush adaptor on the hose or just putting the adaptor directly onto the salt away container?

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are you putting a smaller hose (Like a two foot section of hose) on the salt away container and the flush adaptor on the hose or just putting the adaptor directly onto the salt away container?
The hard way of course, directly on the container. I moved last year (before I had a boat) and the wife made me toss all those old hoses I’ve been holding onto. Would have come in handy now.
That’s probably a good idea, just buy a short hose for cheap and use that instead of spending $25 on a “purpose built” thing.

Thanks! Sometimes it’s easy to overlook the simple answer.