• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stereo installs

Rodney Findley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Would be nice to see some install pics. I am looking for someone who has done subs in the combing area. Some of the boats have the a sub installed in the port side combing area but I am looking to do a 10" in both sides...
Also, where is everyone putting their amps?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Please ignore the dirty cooler spot lol. amp is on drivers side and sub is on passenger.
amp.jpg
boat11.jpg

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I did the helm combining area. At certain frequencies all of the cables and wires in that area vibrate. If I had it to do over I would do sealed box where the cooler goes where @MattFX4 did his. He did an install thread and perhaps he will be kind enough to link to it. Here is my install thread with photos and all I have to say is that I am still modifying more. The thread goes on to mention more of my thoughts. I did change out the dbs for mms and I will be adding another mm sub where @MattFX4 put his. I am sticking with the mm sub because it only needs a .6 cuft box so I am going to build a shallow box right behind the sub and make a sandwich out of the fiberglass comparment wall between the sub and shallow box.

The only thing I am 100 percent happy with is the wiring, amp mounting, and choice of amps.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/detailed-2016-242-ls-1k-audio-upgrade.9400/

Edit- Important fact that I should add for how I mounted the amps and did the wiring. I am one of those annoying lean fitness types that can squeeze in the helm. I face the bow stick my right leg in, squat while squeezing my hips/butt through, pull my left leg in while crouched, spin 180 degrees on the balls of my feet, sit on the throwable pfd as a cushion, realize I forgot the tool I needed on the swim deck, curse and repeat.

Last edited:

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I put an additional 6.5" in the area you are thinking of putting a sub. My amps are in the helm area, and like @Mainah mentioned, it is a pain to crawl in there and work. I had cuts and scrapes on my arms and sides when I finished. I turned my amp board a different direction than most people do. I wanted to keep the area where the head unit is mounted open. I haven't had any issues with how it is secured.

I put my sub under bench seat where cooler typically go's. I like this location, and how it looks. The verdict is still out on the IB sub though. I am going to wait and see how it sounds after I install my Wet Sounds EQ before making any changes. I may go with a sub designed for an enclosure, and move it in to compartment under seat, and leave grill in place to cover the vent hole. I am about to install a 3rd amp to power tower speakers. I plan to put this amp under the seat in the battery compartment. Only reason I decided to put it there is I did not want to run new 0 awg power wires from the battery compartment to the helm. Running RCA cables from helm to battery compartment was a much cheaper route.

You can look through my install thread. There is a lot of other discussion in there with all the questions I had.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/242-stereo-upgrade-coming-soon.9112/

amp1.jpg sub1.jpg sub2.jpg

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@MattFX4 - Did you run a tone generator app at low frequency and to put your little one to sleep in that last photo? If not that may do the trick in the future.

I was of the same thinking as you with my mounting area. I did make sure to leave gaps at the top and bottom of my mounting board to allow heat and moisture to dissipate which I recommend for anyone using that area.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@MattFX4 - Did you run a tone generator app at low frequency and to put your little one to sleep in that last photo? If not that may do the trick in the future.

I was of the same thinking as you with my mounting area. I did make sure to leave gaps at the top and bottom of my mounting board to allow heat and moisture to dissipate which I recommend for anyone using that area.
haha no but that's a good idea. The wife made me turn the stereo down while he was napping there though. Something about loss of hearing lol.

Rodney Findley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think I am going to end up doing it under the bench seats in the back because I need to do an enclosure. I am going with a smaller soft-pack cooler to I have a little room to sacrifice for air space.
I am going with Phoenix Gold speakers amps and subs. I have a really close friend who works at AAMP of America and he is putting a deal on me. We use to build SEMA show cars together.

I would like to do a set in the black area just behind the throttles and the port side just behind the grab handle. This would provide good sound for the driver and passenger in the opposite seat is the boat is full of people.
If there are people in the front and back, the current/stock locations can be obstructed. I am also going to add a pair to the transom. I am going to have to get someone to sculpt the side back cushion on mine just as they
are on the limited models and install the 4th set back there.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am running 2 JL 10s. One on each side. I have both in a sealed boxes. I cut the grills in the side just to let the sound out and some ventilation. 20170204_153304.jpg 20170204_153251.jpg 20170128_145537.jpg 20170128_145532.jpg

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Drift Away did you listen to the subs before you drilled the holes for the grilles? I'm curious how much difference there was. I have my sub in the cooler compartment in a sealed box too.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Drift Away did you listen to the subs before you drilled the holes for the grilles? I'm curious how much difference there was. I have my sub in the cooler compartment in a sealed box too.
Behind the drive seat the dealer mounted the sub there till i moved it. I played the other side before i cut the hole i did not really noticed a big difference. Not sure if it helps but it dose serve as a ventilation hole so it aint all bad.

Minh Nguyen

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's mine that was completed over the winter holidays. 2 m series ib10, and 2 wetsounds htx4 in the helm compartment. I'm very pleased with the sound.

Attachments

Rodney Findley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here's mine that was completed over the winter holidays. 2 m series ib10, and 2 wetsounds htx4 in the helm compartment. I'm very pleased with the sound.
Very nice and clean set up

Rodney Findley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, how is it running the wires?
I have done car audio but new to marine, mostly knowing the boat itself...
I assume your writing runs down behind the seats, under the throttles and under the helm station?
I am going to do a second sub on the the opposite side so I will need to cross over in the engine bay...Being as symmetrical as possible is sort of a pet pieve of mine

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wires are easy to run. Buy a fish tape and you'll thank me later.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I actually like the @Drift Away sub install the best, with those awesome bomb enclosures hidden behind the faux grill covers. This has got to be the most efficient way.

--

Rodney Findley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How bad are the obstructions when fishing the tape through there?

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
How bad are the obstructions when fishing the tape through there?
Not too bad. I fished wire all the way around the bow around the anchor locker. Fishing down the sides of the boat is fairly easy.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you guys run the large power wires under the fuel tank cover?

--

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I ran my power wires out the backside of battery compartment, through engine compartment, then back up the starboard side of boat.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@swatski - I ran my 0 gauge under the fuel tank cover and up the passage for the sterring cables. I used sump pump hose as protective conduit to prevent any chaffing agust the aluminum supports.