• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stereo upgrade question

motoman006

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
ok guys
Plan to add two speakers to my sx190

Total of 6 speakers
Plan to retain use of the m109 clarion head unit

So I plan on using 4 channel amp that I have already to run 4 speakers, will the other 2 speakers be able to be ran off the factory head unit?
It has front and rear rca outputs to run to the 4 channel amp
Will I be able to tie the two extra speakers to the head unit rear right and rear left speaker wires and them work ok as well as the other 4 ran off the amp from the rca's?
Sorry I have not ran speakers or amps in about 8 years so excuse my ignorance!
Thanks

Plan on getting Polk db651 and using my clarion xc1410
This a good set up?

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Plan on getting Polk db651 and using my clarion xc1410
This a good set up?
I think the XC1410 powering 4 Polk DB561s is a winner combination! - works GREAT, has been tried and true by several members here. I had an XC1410 powering 4 DBs in my 190, great setup.

In the 240, I have two XC1410s, one is powering 4 DBs, the other is powering 6 DBs - one pair at 4ohms and the other two at 2ohms. Those speakers are all in different locations, so it is hard to make direct comparison, but both sets work really well, and I can't tell which one is better! So, I would not hesitate to power your 6 DBs off of the XC1410. I think you will be surprised how well it works.

My XCs do get pretty hot, but zero issues.

My 0.02

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

motoman006

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If I run all 6 on one
How do I hook up the last two? Just tie them in with two others? Series or parallel?

Also what setting do you have on your amp

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
You can run them off the headunit if you would like. Probably the best idea.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can run them off the headunit if you would like. Probably the best idea.
I don't think so.
Absolutely HUGE difference with an amp. No comparison how these speakers sound w/o. Those Clarion HUs, like most HUs, can not power a speaker like the DB651s well.

--

Last edited:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I don't think so.
Absolutely HUGE difference with an amp. Not comparison how these speakers sound w/o. Those Clarion HUs, like most HUs, can power a speaker like the DB651s well.

--
I guess it comes down to the amplifier he is using. If it doesn't produce much power, the HU will put out the same power has an amplifier channel splitting the load. Though I do agree there would be a big difference with an amp, if he wasn't sharing channels.

motoman006

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
ok so do i need to run new speaker wire to the new speakers or can the factory ran wires be re-used to the 4 speakers in the boat

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ok so do i need to run new speaker wire to the new speakers or can the factory ran wires be re-used to the 4 speakers in the boat
I only ran new speaker wire where needed - to new speakers (in new locations).
I don't know if it would be possible to tell a difference that upgrading OEM speaker wire would make. Maybe with some high end speakers? but certainly not with the Polk DBs.

--

bigblank69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That amp is 2 ohm stable in stereo mode. So you can hook up your 3rd pair by running in parallel to either your front or rear speakers. This would be higher rms wattage than running off the HU. However, I would pick which speakers you would want less output out of, as those amps produce 50x4 at 4 ohms, and your output in this configuration will be 50x2+75x2(37.5x4), so I personally would run the front channels in parallel and leave the rear channels just running as they currently are as the rear has more ambient noise to overcome.

motoman006

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Okay I got them hooked up
When I have it on low level for the rca's I get a hum or hiss from the speakers at any volume level
When I switch to high on the amp it goes away

What would be causing the noise with the rca on low level and not on high level input?

Last edited:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
The noise is still present, it just isn't audible. High level input means it is not amplifying the signal as much, so the noise is "quieter". Noise is usually induced by a ground issue. Could also be interference from the RCAs, though in today's world most RCA's are shielded enough. There are a few more causes but those are the most common. I would start by making sure your grounds are solid. (Check resistance between your ground and the ground at the battery, and also ground at battery and amp)

motoman006

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The noise is still present, it just isn't audible. High level input means it is not amplifying the signal as much, so the noise is "quieter". Noise is usually induced by a ground issue. Could also be interference from the RCAs, though in today's world most RCA's are shielded enough. There are a few more causes but those are the most common. I would start by making sure your grounds are solid. (Check resistance between your ground and the ground at the battery, and also ground at battery and amp)
Well I used 6ft rca brand cables from menards
I ordered two monster connectors to connect the rcas that are zero feet just connectors to connect the radio and amp
I may have a ground loop issue with the rca seem to be common issue and easy fix
Grounds are solid unless it's to the headunit itself from the factory wiring

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Could try a ground loop isolator - but that is more of a band-aid to the issue. I would still check resistance on the grounds. What may seem good may not be. That is always step #1 for me.