• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stoltz Roller

Jump Right In

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I just installed my new Stoltz roller today (thank you to @jetboater4life) for the model numbers and was disgusted at the damage the OEM roller had done to the gel coat. Shorelander/Yamaha have to be idiots to put that on there from the factory, and my intelligence must be similar as it took me a year of ownership to change it.

I do have a question though... how are people using the clasp/hook on their winch? It would appear that there is no way of snugging the winch tight without the hook damaging (or digging into) the roller. I am a little concerned with the softer roller, that the damage will be greater.

Does anyone just loop the winch strap through boat hole and then bring it back to a loop knot made in the winch strap? I don't know if there is a proper way of doing it, but I do know it seems strange to be tighting a hook/clasp tight against the rubber.

Attachments

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I wouldn't loop the hook around the eyebolt @Jump Right In . I have had my roller now for over a month and granted, only been to the lake a few times, but I see no damage to the roller at all. While the material appears softer, it is more durable than the cheap off white roller that was stock, and won't damage as easily IMO. I guess if you really want to prevent it, you may need to get a different style hook, that will ride against the roller differently. I drive my boat up snug, and I mean bow eye bolt under and completely against the roller, and I leave the power up while I hook up the winch and tighten it as tight as I can. When the wife pulls me out of the lake, the boat doesn't move. I did get my bow stop post shimmed under the bolts that pinch it to the tongue, because it was allowing a rocking motion.

If the bow winch hook ends up scarring the roller, so be it, I will live with it as I don't think that is as big an issue as the roller scarring my boat the way it was.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have some experience with this. At first I had my strap coming out the top side of the F2 winch. That left some gouges in my stoltz roller as seen in the picture. 13763689103490.jpg

I then redid my roller so that it now comes out the bottom of the F2 winch. The downside is that you have to crank backward when winching the boat in but that's not a big deal IMO.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I never considered re-wrapping the winch strap. I don't know if you can do that on the stock winch on the 2012 Shorelandr or not. But I have no issue with the stock winch, it works, and it is sturdy. The winch on the MFI was weak and flimsy, but I never replaced it.

This might be worth looking into a hook replacement however, glad you posted this @Jump Right In !

OnTheWater

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
So, this is a pic of the stock roller on the '13 Shorelander that came with my 242. Is this the same one that is scratching the boats?
image.jpg

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bow.JPG I am realizing that my bow roller needs to be replaced after waxing the boat this past weekend. I stumbled on this revelation that the stock roller is what marks up the front bow and I also have not been tightening the bow up to the roller as much as I should be. Here is my current set up

Are you all replacing this roller at the dock after dunking the boat off of the trailer?

Last edited:

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
View attachment 8336 I am realizing that my bow roller needs to be replaced after waxing the boat this past weekend. I stumbled on this revelation that the stock roller is what marks up the front bow and I also have not been tightening the bow up to the roller as much as I should be. Here is my current set up

Are you all replacing this roller at the dock after dunking the boat off of the trailer?
Yeah, you can replace it that way. It appears, also, that your boat may not be aligned properly on the roller.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@4x15mph , @farrelltravis is correct, your alignment isn't good. This happens occasionally when the wind/waves are coming from the side while your loading. The only way to prevent it, it to have the trailer in more shallow and power the boat onto the trailer more forcefully so the bunks force the boat to align better. It actually happened to us this past weekend and my boat is sitting just about like yours right now...but it is fully up and against the roller with the bow eye bolt under and against the bow roller.

I am not sure what the setup is on your 2001 trailer. I was able to loosen the winch strap, loosen the bow stop post, and slide it forward to change the roller, with the boat right on the trailer. You may have to float the boat off the trailer to get to the roller easily. Also, the Stolz center section of the roller may jamb between the support arms and not turn well. Some guys have cut the center roller down and others have just spread the steel support arms a tad to allow the room. Good luck with it!

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @txav8r and @farrelltravis . my alignment is bad and I am thinking it is because I did not tighten it enough after getting the boat on. I did power up on to the trailer and it was sitting perfect before we took our 1 hour drive. I think because it was not tight to the bow roller, it allowed it to shift.

I went ahead and ordered this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LR5J8Q/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item

It is similar to the stoltz and with amazon prime, it will be at my door no later than 2 days. This Amazon thing is crazy and now I get deliveries on Sunday. I click on things I want on Friday night and I have them delivered by my local postal (Pennsylvania) on Sunday. I don't know why Amazon would need Drones since it is almost instantaneous now.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
After seeing all of the scratches the stock roller was putting on my new boat, I swapped it to a Stoltz today and glad I did. Was a piece of cake. Looks better and will hopefully perform a lot better!

Attachments

Last edited:

NickF

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Does anyone have the part number or dimensions of the Stoltz bow roller? I'm looking to replace mine after reading this and was curious as I want to order it off Amazon.

Lake_Spray

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does anyone have the part number or dimensions of the Stoltz bow roller? I'm looking to replace mine after reading this and was curious as I want to order it off Amazon.
Hey Nick I know you posted this forever ago, but in case someone else (like me) comes around looking for a winter project here's some info: There are a couple versions that will work. The Stoltz website specifically calls out part RP-355 for Shoreland'r trailers and is the only roller that as of today has a Buy Now link. If you click on the Buy Now link it goes to a reseller that describes the part as "3.5 inch Stoltz Bow Roller for Yamaha Jet Boat - Shoreland'r Trailers" and pretty solidly describes it as such. There are also some alternative Stoltz rollers offered on the same page that look like they should work Kind of depends what you're looking for I guess. I haven't tried this yet but am ordering the RP-355 for my Shoreland'r. Will come back and update when I've installed it but being that I'm in Wisconsin it's hit or miss when I'll get warm enough weather to work even in the garage in the next couple months. Hope that helps someone else...