• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Story: First splash of my brand new AR240... and it won't start.

W3bexec

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First off... this does have a happy ending... but on to the story.

Finally after a 7 day wait from the day we bought the boat, I can take it out! With stormy weather and a demanding job we were forced to just look at it in the driveway (and do some driveway boating! I'll admit it, I sat in the boat and drank some beer, tinkering with stuff). I still had to work this day but I said "Screw it, I am leaving early, we are going to the lake, and I refuse to drive 30 minutes home and pick up the boat". So, I took it work with me and parked out in the far lot. Coworkers were peeking out the windows to check it out. Even took a few out there and uncovered it to have a look. Ahh, that new boat smell.

The family meets me at the prearranged time, right around 3 PM, I duck out of my desk and down the side stairs to avoid attention. The lake is close, only about 5 minutes way from where I work. Not my usual lake but I have been there a few times and its a decent size. We pack on a few things, water and snacks. The kids already know, "we're not boarding or tubing, just cruising to try out the new boat". Off we go. I have no idea if this happened but I imagine a few people I work with are looking out the 2nd floor windows watching me drive off. Jealous.

We get to the lake, which is in a state park. Of course, no ranger on duty at the station, and there is a line to use the self serve park pass machine. 20 minutes later, we've got our passes. On to the inspection station (damn you mussels! plague from hell!).

Inspection is backed up. For whatever reason, tons of people coming to the lake today, and only 1 inspector. I'm 4th in line. We patiently wait and finally when the inspector gets to us I explain this is a new boat and has never been in the water and show the bill of sale. This is a new inspector and decides to decontaminate me anyway. OK, no problem, I want healthy lakes too, I don't protest or get rude, I just proceed to the decontamination area. We're going to pump 140 degree water through the engines.

This inspector knows nothing about jet boats. A majority of what she sees is outboard bass boats all day long. I explain the boat a bit and let her know I have 2 engines, so we'll be doing this twice. No problem. "Oh buy the way, I need just a standard hose and not those muffs". After a few minutes of rummaging around trying to find the right hose attachment. Bingo! we got it! I explain, let me start he engine first before you turn on the water. No problem.

I go to start up, starboard first. Cranking, cranking, cranking, no fire. "Hmm, OK". I proceed to recheck everything and try again. Same result. Try port engine. Same result, cranking fine but no fire. Meanwhile inspector is looking at me awkwardly. I tell her, "Let me work on this and you go back to other 6 people in line".

OK, so at this point I am pissed. Well, beyond angry actually. I mean like 'grown man cry' type of upset. Here I am, after MSRP + tax + extra dealer profit + 5 year extended warranty, with a $64,000 boat that won't start... on day 1. You see, I have come from a previous boat that had problems. Major problems. From leaks to squishy floors to a cracked block on my first boat that I bought off craigslist. That boat left me dead in the water, with my entire family, in the middle of lake, at the end of the day, with practically no one on the water to wave to for help. Yep, I vowed after that to never put myself in that position again. Hence, a brand new boat, even if its a stretch for me to afford. Guaranteed at least, no one else screwed it up!

I check everything I can think of. From the batteries to the connections to the lanyard, everything looks fine. We even fired it up a couple says before. So, I call the dealer right there from the inspection station. After explaining what's up to the guy from service, I can tell he is NOT the guy, as he knows nothing about boats (they are mainly a motorcycle shop). He's looking at the manual and asking me things. Finally, the boat expert walks by and I hear him; "Hey Steve! I have a customer on the phone here who is having a problem". "He's the guy who bought an AR240 on Saturday, Mr. W3bexec". " Steve asks where the I am at and the service guys tells him. Service guys says "Steve is leaving right now to meet you".

Fast forward 20 minutes. Steve arrives. I like Steve, he was the one who gave us the full tour of the boat and how to work all features. He even offered to come out to the lake to show us a few things on his day off.

Steve gets to work. Shoes off, in my boat (thanks for being considerate). Tries to start it, same result as me. He checks a few things. Then he spots my lanyard. Yanks it out and takes a look at it.

OK, so rewind a bit. On the day I bought the boat, I get some accessories. One of which is a brand new, in box, genuine Yamaha black lanyard that has the longer cord, sleek velcro strap, and a whistle. I think to myself, "Nice, I can use this and keep the original as the backup lanyard. Yeah, its $40 for a dumb lanyard but it's nicer and will allow me to stand up and walk a step or two".

You already know the answer. It was the lanyard! Steve is looking at me like "I cannot believe it! This is a real deal Yamaha lanyard! How can this be?". The aftermarket lanyard seems to be about 3 MM thinner than the stock one and does not lift the kill switch high enough. Luckily I have the original in the glovebox. Steve puts the original in and the boat fires right up.

I thank Steve who is already on the phone with the Sales Manager asking them to pull all those lanyards off the shelf. I go back to inspection with my faith in my AR240 restored and a nice first run of the boat goes great!

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Glad to hear it all worked out for you.

I’ve never been stranded by a boat like you have (I.e., cracked block, full boat, with little help around) but used to own two stroke boats and pwcs which were prone to starting issues and after a few failed trips where they wouldn’t start when I got to the boat ramp I always, always start whatever I’m towing before I leave the driveway that day.

I purchased a few spare universal lanyards (like the one pictured below) for my boat and wave runners for less than $20 each. I like to have a spare set of keys for all my vehicles. The only problem with these is that very little distinguishes the clips that fit Yamahas v. Other pwcs, just a small “Y” at the base of the correct clip, so newbies often wonder why the waverunner won’t start or restart. Now I just mark the correct one with electrical tape instead of cut the inapplicable clip (for Kawasaki’s and who knows what else) off since I don’t know if I or for someone else will need it in the future.

5E676DD7-FBDB-47E6-B3C9-974AD15C1648.png

Mike & Lilly

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
First off... this does have a happy ending... but on to the story.

Finally after a 7 day wait from the day we bought the boat, I can take it out! With stormy weather and a demanding job we were forced to just look at it in the driveway (and do some driveway boating! I'll admit it, I sat in the boat and drank some beer, tinkering with stuff). I still had to work this day but I said "Screw it, I am leaving early, we are going to the lake, and I refuse to drive 30 minutes home and pick up the boat". So, I took it work with me and parked out in the far lot. Coworkers were peeking out the windows to check it out. Even took a few out there and uncovered it to have a look. Ahh, that new boat smell.

The family meets me at the prearranged time, right around 3 PM, I duck out of my desk and down the side stairs to avoid attention. The lake is close, only about 5 minutes way from where I work. Not my usual lake but I have been there a few times and its a decent size. We pack on a few things, water and snacks. The kids already know, "we're not boarding or tubing, just cruising to try out the new boat". Off we go. I have no idea if this happened but I imagine a few people I work with are looking out the 2nd floor windows watching me drive off. Jealous.

We get to the lake, which is in a state park. Of course, no ranger on duty at the station, and there is a line to use the self serve park pass machine. 20 minutes later, we've got our passes. On to the inspection station (damn you mussels! plague from hell!).

Inspection is backed up. For whatever reason, tons of people coming to the lake today, and only 1 inspector. I'm 4th in line. We patiently wait and finally when the inspector gets to us I explain this is a new boat and has never been in the water and show the bill of sale. This is a new inspector and decides to decontaminate me anyway. OK, no problem, I want healthy lakes too, I don't protest or get rude, I just proceed to the decontamination area. We're going to pump 140 degree water through the engines.

This inspector knows nothing about jet boats. A majority of what she sees is outboard bass boats all day long. I explain the boat a bit and let her know I have 2 engines, so we'll be doing this twice. No problem. "Oh buy the way, I need just a standard hose and not those muffs". After a few minutes of rummaging around trying to find the right hose attachment. Bingo! we got it! I explain, let me start he engine first before you turn on the water. No problem.

I go to start up, starboard first. Cranking, cranking, cranking, no fire. "Hmm, OK". I proceed to recheck everything and try again. Same result. Try port engine. Same result, cranking fine but no fire. Meanwhile inspector is looking at me awkwardly. I tell her, "Let me work on this and you go back to other 6 people in line".

OK, so at this point I am pissed. Well, beyond angry actually. I mean like 'grown man cry' type of upset. Here I am, after MSRP + tax + extra dealer profit + 5 year extended warranty, with a $64,000 boat that won't start... on day 1. You see, I have come from a previous boat that had problems. Major problems. From leaks to squishy floors to a cracked block on my first boat that I bought off craigslist. That boat left me dead in the water, with my entire family, in the middle of lake, at the end of the day, with practically no one on the water to wave to for help. Yep, I vowed after that to never put myself in that position again. Hence, a brand new boat, even if its a stretch for me to afford. Guaranteed at least, no one else screwed it up!

I check everything I can think of. From the batteries to the connections to the lanyard, everything looks fine. We even fired it up a couple says before. So, I call the dealer right there from the inspection station. After explaining what's up to the guy from service, I can tell he is NOT the guy, as he knows nothing about boats (they are mainly a motorcycle shop). He's looking at the manual and asking me things. Finally, the boat expert walks by and I hear him; "Hey Steve! I have a customer on the phone here who is having a problem". "He's the guy who bought an AR240 on Saturday, Mr. W3bexec". " Steve asks where the I am at and the service guys tells him. Service guys says "Steve is leaving right now to meet you".

Fast forward 20 minutes. Steve arrives. I like Steve, he was the one who gave us the full tour of the boat and how to work all features. He even offered to come out to the lake to show us a few things on his day off.

Steve gets to work. Shoes off, in my boat (thanks for being considerate). Tries to start it, same result as me. He checks a few things. Then he spots my lanyard. Yanks it out and takes a look at it.

OK, so rewind a bit. On the day I bought the boat, I get some accessories. One of which is a brand new, in box, genuine Yamaha black lanyard that has the longer cord, sleek velcro strap, and a whistle. I think to myself, "Nice, I can use this and keep the original as the backup lanyard. Yeah, its $40 for a dumb lanyard but it's nicer and will allow me to stand up and walk a step or two".

You already know the answer. It was the lanyard! Steve is looking at me like "I cannot believe it! This is a real deal Yamaha lanyard! How can this be?". The aftermarket lanyard seems to be about 3 MM thinner than the stock one and does not lift the kill switch high enough. Luckily I have the original in the glovebox. Steve puts the original in and the boat fires right up.

I thank Steve who is already on the phone with the Sales Manager asking them to pull all those lanyards off the shelf. I go back to inspection with my faith in my AR240 restored and a nice first run of the boat goes great!
Love the story super funny with a happily ever after lmbo

Bedlamfirm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Glad you got the boat started. So does anyone have a link for a correct lanyard? Was thinking of a spare.

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow the outing almost ruined for a $.10 piece of plastic. Great story though and glad the wife and kids weren't disappointed. Sounds though like they might have seen a darker side of dad (you know, one of the fifty shades of angry)

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great story @W3bexec and welcome to the forum. You remind me of a similar situation my friend had with his 32 foot twin Formula. His port engine was quitting each time he left the dock. I saw this happen to him 3 times in a row. I had no experrience with a Formula but knew it was electrical related. I grabbed my volt meter, spent 30 minutes troubleshooting and determined it wss the lanyard for the port engine. A couple wraps of electrical tape solved the problem and saved his boating day. Sinse then I keep a roll of electrical tape on board.

W3bexec

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow the outing almost ruined for a $.10 piece of plastic. Great story though and glad the wife and kids weren't disappointed. Sounds though like they might have seen a darker side of dad (you know, one of the fifty shades of angry)
Haha. Yeah, that anger driven by my disappointment. Don't get the wrong impression, I was yelling or being abusive to anyone. But for sure everyone knew, dad was mad! After so many issues with my old boat obviously, I had zero faith in it. Getting stuck in the lake last year was the last straw. I wasn't really scared when that happened but my wife and kids were. So we've been saving, researching, and dreaming for months. When I pulled up to the house with the new one, my daughter comes running out of the house and jumps to my arms. So, there was a lot behind it. The new boat didn't let me down but this part sure did!

W3bexec

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great story @W3bexec and welcome to the forum. You remind me of a similar situation my friend had with his 32 foot twin Formula. His port engine was quitting each time he left the dock. I saw this happen to him 3 times in a row. I had no experrience with a Formula but knew it was electrical related. I grabbed my volt meter, spent 30 minutes troubleshooting and determined it wss the lanyard for the port engine. A couple wraps of electrical tape solved the problem and saved his boating day. Sinse then I keep a roll of electrical tape on board.
Thanks @Gym. Now I know, test the lanyard, even if its genuine Yamaha.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks @Gym. Now I know, test the lanyard, even if its genuine Yamaha.
Sounds like you did everything correctly. The problem you had would have thrown most of us. One thing I do that has prevented most issues is I dry start both engines before I leave the house for the ramp. I also have the boat loaded and have my lines & fenders all attached so I don't take more than 5 minutes to launch at the ramp. You'll have a great summer on your new boat. Learn how to use our 911help feature incase you're on the water and have an urgent, non life threatening, issue.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don’t know if we on the forum would have been able to determine the root cause of @W3bexec ’s problem any faster (or at all) than his dealer’s rep did. If I could i would buy my next boat from them. I have a feeling that my local dealer would have said, “that’s tough Jack, excuse me I going to take a Shit”, if they would have answered at all.

The jet logic lanyards work great note the hook has a rotating base, and the wrist cuff is detachable. The included whistle got me past a safety inspection more than once (there are only a few things you have to have on a pwc, a sound making device is one of them and I’ve yet to see a pwc with a horn like full size boats have). I doubt it includes programmable lanyards for the newer seadoo pwcs but even if it did they would need to programmed by a shop.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gym

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have learned something from @W3bexec's experrience. I carry extra keys & lanyard hidden onboard. I have checked the keys out but never the lanyard. That will be corrected today. Ya see, the new guy has already educated us. :)

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Excellent that it all worked out! HNBD!

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah that dealer deserves a big thumbs up! Never heard of one going that distance to assist! Glad it was a simple fix.

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Great tip. I could see how a slight misalingment of the kill switch could cause this, and it wouldn't at all be obvious, especially with a "genuine" Yamaha part. Your dealer really went the extra mile, it is a good story to hear!

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Fucking Lanyards. I can't count how many times not having that thing in has caused me a panic attack at the ramp when the boat won't fire.

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I had a similar situation at the lake. My issue was that the cleanout ports' cover wasn't properly closed and latched.

ruztew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I always start the boat up at home before heading anywhere, even if I don't run it on the hose, I'll at least crank it and let it run for a few seconds... Checks the battery and random things like your lanyard issue before getting the boat launched

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Fucking Lanyards. I can't count how many times not having that thing in has caused me a panic attack at the ramp when the boat won't fire.
try augmenting it with 5200. I bet it make your problems go away

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@W3bexec that boat will not leave dead in the water, but the tower might spontaneously decide to kill you on rough waters.