• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Strange reverse problem on start

Evolver7

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Hello I have a sugar sand that I haven’t drove in about a month and a half in mn. Today I started her and she went fast into reverse. White smoke too. I noticed that the button on the throttle seemed to have a lot of play... I could pull it out or push it in. When I tried to engage in drive it seemed to jump a bit so I parked her and decided to wait to hear what to do... I thought maybe had something to do w the cables.... I went under the boat in a wet suit and there was no obstruction in the grate.... very strange that it was going fast into reverse on start.... any idea of what could be happening?

Evolver7

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
It’s a 175 hp Mercury jet sport engine 2 stroke 1998.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Sounds like a cable issue there is really nothing complex about that setup , smoke has nothing to do with reverse it is a 2 stroke v6 engine , focus on the mechanical parts of the reverse bucket . It may not be going all the way into reverse and therefore not providing the full effect.

Blkrvrbart

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
If the stop nut on the cable housing is broken or loose, it would cause the boat to not shift correctly. Can you work on it while it’s on s trailer?

Evolver7

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Sounds like a cable issue there is really nothing complex about that setup , smoke has nothing to do with reverse it is a 2 stroke v6 engine , focus on the mechanical parts of the reverse bucket . It may not be going all the way into reverse and therefore not providing the full effect.
thank you sir!!! I started w removing this part in picture below from the right side of the reverse bucket. It looked like maybe it wasn’t even connected. A lot of loose play as well. Am I on the right track as this is part of the control cable or separate piece?

Attachments

Evolver7

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
I also removed the throttle housing but didn’t have time this weekend to remove the cable from the throttle. I am so new to this that any progress that’s been made so far is a win

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
broken cable needs to be replaced look on the reverse bucket for the end that broke off also for some reason I can not view your pictures only the small ones on the post but when I try to enlarge them it won't work

Evolver7

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
If the stop nut on the cable housing is broken or loose, it would cause the boat to not shift correctly. Can you work on it while it’s on s trailer?
I can but had to run her to storage and wait until next spring to play w the throttle, cable, and whatever those pieces are that I removed In the pictures below.