• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

stuck clean out plugs HELP!!!!

piper84

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I just spent 3 hrs on the clean out plugs and success. I had to take the top off and used penetration oil than taped around the edge of the lower part with a screw driver. I put the top back on and pried up near the dogs. Be careful not to damage the alum. Tube. It popped free as an Assy. I ordered new seals an thay came with new bottom half’s about $ 80.00 for the pair. Better then a whole new plug. You can bet I will take them out after each use and spray with lube!

Last edited:

topgun7214

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bump?
What about newer boats with newer style clean out plugs?

piper84

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I have done a million searches and read a million posts just wanted to get some fresh ideas if anything. I got a 2002 LX 2000 at the beginning of the summer when I got it the owner stated that he never removed the plugs ever. I figured that I would work on them at the end of the season and boom here it is time to get moving. After looking at them this weekend it looks that they have been unlocked the whole time, if I push the handle down on both plugs they will not lock down they just pop up when you release downward force on the t handle. I tried ice, a jack, a pry bar and got nothing not even a budge. I can look on the side of the plug and as I push I can see what I believe is the dogs engaging and dis engaging. One weird this is I took all 8 screws off the top of the plug and tried to lever it out with a 2x4 and it did not move either. I have looked at alot of pictures and compared mine to them to ensure mine were fully unlocking and I believe they are. I spoke to my local dealership which was zero help, he actually asked me if they are that stuck why would I want to remove them. Do any of you have any other ideas? I may try the jack again as I was very nervous when I tried it and think I chickened out. My fear is with them being unlocked all summer and all the driving I did they should have blown and didn't. I really hope the PO didn't seal them in.

piper84

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I had the same issue I took the top off and used the shack method a big slide hammer. It is corrosion the is making them stick. Soak them good with BB plaster penetrating oil for a day our two. i did get them out and was able to rebuild them. A lot cheaper then new ones.

piper84

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Great boat my third year with it and is running well.

topgun7214

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My problem with the newer plugs happened because I didn't pay attention to the small black tab position. The lugs were in the slots not locked in. The black tab somehow wedged its self at a angle. READ THE WRITING on the plug. It goes a certain way. After I pulled the boat out and it home, out of frustration I gave it one more hard yank and out she came. All I can say is pay attention.

Webby2000

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I had this problem with both plugs. After trying everything I have read here what worked for me was a straight bar from underneath and a sledgehammer.