• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stuck Clean Out Plugs! Help

gslooper

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I purchased a 2006 Yamaha AR230HO.
Tried removing both clean out plugs and the button is seized. I’ve tried using the floor jack suggestion and they would not budge. I’m afraid continued 1 1/2 ton pressure may crack my gel coat. I’m at wits end…..
Any help would be appreciated……thanks

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Some have had luck filling the tops of them with ice and waiting an hour to try again.. Others have had to take the plug apart from the top end, 4 screws maybe? And then push out the bottom half.. Hopefully more will chime in to help.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Use the ice then use a piece of wood like a 2 by 2 and a hammer and release the plug T handle and go around the edge of the plug tapping on it using the piece of wood and the hammer just lightly, also get a long 2 by 4 and a rope, tie the rope to the 2 T handle and the 2 by 4 and use it as a lever to pull out the plug, keep trying to pull up and then tap it back down, dirt gets inside the plug and keeps the dogs from releasing so it may take several tries.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If the button is stuck in the up/locked position consider using a scrap of wood to put on top of the button and use a mallet to depress the button. If you can’t get the button to work to release the tabs/dogs I would not bother trying the other solutions. Instead remove the screws on tops or the plug and try to remove the tops. The bottom half is available along with the rubber seal in rebuild kits ($50 each), so you can use a saw Zaw to cut the bottom of the plug(s) out if necessary.

before you do anything more consider this:
Without the plugs you have a raft. So if they are not broken to the point that you cannot use them you may be better off leaving them alone and hoping you don’t need to get access to the top of the intake to clear debris. Also the plugs are replaceable for around $400 each but with all the material shortages they may be hard to get. Good luck.

Chadly80

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We’ll I just got a 2009 sx210. The PO has not taken the clean outs out in a long time. I tried to take them out today and it looks like I’ll be using a jack or a come along to get mine out!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Do a search there are many ways to do it first try the ice in the tube and tap around the edge of the plug using a stick and a hammer to push it down and loosen it then try a rope and a 2 by 4 and pry it up then tap it down again and repeat the process the inside of the plug is probably filled with sand and the dogs can not release also be sure someone did not glue them in place as that has been done in the past

Chadly80

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think they are released because the lever goes up and down. I’m off Monday so I’ll have time to try to get them out. Thanks for the advice!

zackmorris

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
2x4s to spread the pressure and then a small floor jack to lift up on the plugs. Make sure the locking paws are open and the rope / chain isn't stretching.

It will seem pointless then they pop free.

...and then immediately rebuild them so you don't have this issue again.

Chadly80

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length